Share the oldest recording that you have

Inspired by this post from @Justincase , I have rescued the oldest recording that I could find.

I think it is from 1989. Recorded with this gear:

Charvel Model 6 Fire Crackle.
Here it is, with my missed Peluso when he was less than one year old.
At this pic you can see the Art SGX-2000, but this recording is older. I still didn't have it
I sold that Charvel to buy a RG550LTD, which I still keep because it is a lucky piece of wood - better than the several JEMs , J-Customs, and JS2450 that I have owned and sold.
View attachment 85499

Let's put away our sense of shame, and share the oldest recording that you can find :)

I have to say that sounded really good🤘... I do believe that that is a Model 5 in the picture, it looks like a bolt on and I don't see the binding on the neck.... I still have my firecrackel model 6 and even my Art SGX 2000... I haven't played it in along time. Thanks for posting, man that brought back memories of long ago.😁

This was recorded around 1974 in my sister's bedroom on her Teac cassette deck with a pair of Radio Shack mics sitting on her dresser. No expenses were spared in the studio, lol. Just a high school kid playing his 12-string acoustic.

Very cool! 1974??? Man, if someone can beat that with their first recording it won't hurt your vintage status.

I have a pretty nice playback system and it sounds really great. I'd never guess 1974.

This was recorded around 1974 in my sister's bedroom on her Teac cassette deck with a pair of Radio Shack mics sitting on her dresser. No expenses were spared in the studio, lol. Just a high school kid playing his 12-string acoustic.
Cool to imagine if you could have told your 1974 self: "Hey, in 2021 people from all over the world will be listening to this recording!"

I do wonder what is the best platform to publish your music online. Most people here seem to use soundcloud, what is its advantage over bandcamp or the others? For a long time I've contemplated publishing my music and this thread might motivate me to do it.

Here's my earliest decent-quality recording, of one of my own tunes, from 1987 at a small studio in Trenton, NJ:

There are better examples of my sound on other tunes from that same session, but they are not even partially mine to share....

Same studio, 2 years later, lyrics by a bandmate, my music, scratch track of a song that ended up dropped from that project:

Another track from the same session that did make the cut - lyrics and music by the same bandmate, lead guitar work by me:

I didn't have a way of recording my own stuff until the early 2000s and the CoolEdit software came out, which later was the basis for Adobe Audition.

Last edited:
Here's my earliest decent-quality recording, of one of my own tunes, from 1987 at a small studio in Trenton, NJ:

There are better examples of my sound on other tunes from that same session, but they are not even partially mine to share....

Same studio, 2 years later, lyrics by a bandmate, my music, scratch track of a song that ended up dropped from that project:

Another track from the same session that did make the cut - lyrics and music by the same bandmate, lead guitar work by me:

I didn't have a way of recording my own stuff until the early 2000s and the CoolEdit software came out, which later was the basis for Adobe Audition.

SAW along w/ Cakewalk (just midi back then) was what I started with. CoolEdit was a game changer when it came out went to that until Cakewalk and Cubase started integrating Audio and MIDI.

Like three completely different genres. Cool

SAW along w/ Cakewalk (just midi back then) was what I started with. CoolEdit was a game changer when it came out went to that until Cakewalk and Cubase started integrating Audio and MIDI.
Never could afford a 4-track or fancy software while I was gigging/writing.

Finally got my gear together now, but finding time, inspiration, and musical partners is now the issue. 😐

Like three completely different genres. Cool
Tanks! I have always tried to switch things up a bit and have fun with it. I grew up listening to music on the radio, from '60s pop and Motown through the '70 FM and onward, as well as my parents' records so there is a lot of range there....

One more, put together in the '90s with my long-time musical partner (his song), but not recorded until around 2006 or so:

I always tried to find the overall vibe of the song and bring in stuff to fit that. This song's premise: I have to hurry up and relax. This was a fun one. The lead guitar bits and the "synth" noise running through the whole thing are me....

Last edited:
I think this was the first song I ever wrote, and if not it was the second one. In the 90's I was in university and part of a going nowhere little rock band. We recorded like 3 or 4 demos, mostly 4 tracks recorded by a friend of the guitar player in our rehearsal. As we were playing all originals this was the band where I graduated from playing covers to learning how to write my own songs. This one was recorded in september 1993. Because I couldn't find bands that wanted guitarists I had joined up as a bass player. This song was written during the height of the war in the former Yugoslavia, and inspired by me reading a book by Israeli military historian and theorist Martin van Crefeld, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_van_Creveld#The_Transformation_of_War Probably not the most lighthearted of subjects, but I think the song still holds up great and at least it wasn't a sappy love song to a long since ex girlfriend.

Probably the second song I wrote, or maybe the first. Only the music in this case, our singer wrote the lyrics for it, about losing her father. So no sappy love song either. Same band, only this time it IS me on the guitar, because the other guitarists couldn't play the arpeggio I had written. Fun tidbit, just before we were going to record I had broken my right pinky finger, so my right hand was a in casket, with only my thumb free. So I had to play it with a thumb pick.

These are the oldest recordings I still have. Most of my oldest "home recordings" unfortunately do not exist anymore. They were cassette recordings done on a Tascam 688, and perished in a basement flood years and years ago. They were the pre production recordings for the following songs. These were all recorded in a little studio in cicero chicago at a small studio which i do not remember the name of anymore.
First actual real studio experience I ever had. These are roughly from 1990ish time frame.

These are the oldest recordings I still have. Most of my oldest "home recordings" unfortunately do not exist anymore. They were cassette recordings done on a Tascam 688, and perished in a basement flood years and years ago. They were the pre production recordings for the following songs. These were all recorded in a little studio in cicero chicago at a small studio which i do not remember the name of anymore.
First actual real studio experience I ever had. These are roughly from 1990ish time frame.

Man that's badass... reminds me of days of the new, Alice n chains, and Tesla. Thanks for sharing that!

Back
Top Bottom