Shaping a clean tone

Recently I started putting a fet drive pedal in front of the clean amps and I use the low cut in the drive block to help control the low end.
I also use the volume of the drive block to help the amps clean up. A lot of the time you have grit from the amp which is perhaps don’t want, like a 5153 green or a plexi for example.

I like using some preamp simulation in the cab block. I use the "transformer" type and push it heavily.

I also use a filter block after everything, set for a high-shelf boost to get some sparkle. I set it anywhere between 8kHz to 10kHz.

After the cab block, I use a compressor block set to Optical. Don't forget to set it for "Line" and I usually compress around 5dB.

Last, but not least, I touch it off with a tad bit of reverb. And that's how I approach my clean tones in the Axe.

I was messing around with the speaker page of the cab block and had pretty good results lowering the LF Res Q to widen the low hump, and then raising the Xformer Low Freq to get rid of flubiness. This seems similar to the definition strategy, but slightly different in the shape of the EQ results.

Back
Top Bottom