Thanks for your kind words.

Just so I can understand when you get that message, are you:-
downloading the zip file,
extracting from the zip file
loading a preset via Axe Edit
loading a preset via Fractal Bot
using windows or Apple
trying to use the preset

If the problem is relating to a preset, which preset?
What is your Firmware version?
Usually unknown method relates to a programming operation that's being called for some reason, so I need to know what program is actually complaining.

Happy to help but I need information.

Trevor
hi trevor now I feel a bit of an idiot I deleted this post . I was hoping before you got to read it lol , as I sorted it in the end , I was using WinRAR to to extract the presets zip file ,but it kept failing so I used a program called ultimate zip and that did it fine , I don't know why WinRAR played up as it usually ok but all is good now , and really enjoying these presets thanks again for all your time and effort paul

With Quantum 1.06, the AC15TB and AC30TB have come of age. My thanks to edo for his professional assistance in getting Cliff to look again at the cathode followers in these amps and most importantly, Cliff's magic in now having an virtual amp that behaves and sounds like the real thing. If you have not updated, please do yourself a favour, do it.

All the Shadows Presets now have been adjusted so that when you play correctly, you should get the sound as produced by Hank. Please let me know if you have a different experience.

Download at this URL: http://www.fbm.com.au/downloads/Music/Shadows_Presets.zip

As mentioned in the Readme file, ensure that you select the correct CAB as directed in the readme file.

I really appreciate those who have donated on the last release. Thank you. Details for donations are provided within the "readme" file and should be made on a voluntary basis only.

If you feel happy about some or all the presets, I would very much like to hear from you . . . throwing money is good too!

Hello StratnVox
Thanks for sharing,
It's nice to see AXE users who treat other musical genres ;)

Ever thought of a Quantum 2.01 (Q. 2.02) upgrade ? :D

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments.

Yes and that's my next task. Just away for a 2 week break and than I'm back to see how close I can get those presets to the studio sound. I think Q2.01 will allow the compression and dynamic saturation to occur that was present in the original records.

Look for an update sometime in the next couple of months.

Thanks jacques and barhrecords for your comments and the like.

I'm currently waiting for the official release of 12.03 which I have beta'd. Cliff has again exceeded expectations and as a learn more about how to tweak the amps to sound like the "cleaner" vintage ones, the sound is improving. Having friends with Meazzi echo machines is also great input as we try to replicate the capabilities of those machines. I have discovered faults in the echo timings and the output settings that clearly improve the perceived sound making it closer to the original recorded sound. Reverse engineering from the record works to a degree but knowing the machines used accounts for a major part of getting "that sound".

I'm also adding presets to account for the changing amps from AC15 to ef86 based AC30 and then the AC30TB. I could have used X/Y to change the amps but I have free presets slots so it reduces the complication. All amps were used with various echo machines so the combination add some presets.

Additionally, I'll ensure the presets only use built in amps and cabs (no user cabs). My personal presets will use RedWirez Vox Blues IR using Lawson 47 set at 12 inches from the cone, not near the centre of the speaker. The Shadows recording at Abbey Road Studios, most probably used a Neumann U47 set 12 to 15 inches in front of the cone, not centred. This can be seen of photos taken during recording sessions and backs up various writings made about the equipment used in the studio.

I expect to release a new version later in the month.
hi
i have convert the files to AX8 using the frac tool. the AX8 is receiving the presets but no sound.
i tried to choose some of the factory cabs but still no sound.
any clue why ?
i love the shadows so much and i would love to get this presets to work.

Assuming you have downloaded the latest presets, the following approach should help solve the problem of "no sound". It seeks to identify which block or blocks in the preset are "muting" the output.
1. To disable all block but make sure that "pass thru" is selected. You should get some sound through after you do this, albeit at a low level. Adjust the Input or output block to temporarily increase the level.
2. Starting from the input side, enable one block at a time, adjusting the level to hear any sound. If you get no sound, disable that block, noting what it does and move to the next block. If you get sound, leave the block enabled.
3. Once you have completed all blocks, you will then know which block or blocks is creating the problem.
4. For those blocks, reset the block and change the controls to be similar to the original. There are only a few changes I make to default settings.
5. One obvious change will be the CAB block as most presets use Commercial IR's placed in the User CABs. Try setting to the factory cabs, #123 for the HiRes Vox 2 x 12.

I hope that will help you get some sound. If not please post details.

Over the weekend, I was able to obtain the frequency spectrum of both the dry and wet signals from a vintage 1960's Meazzi Factotom Tube Tape echo machine. While this was not the exact same machine used by The Shadows in their early hits, I believe the main electronics and tape recording in this machine would produce a sound close to the original Meazzi 1 and 2 disk echo machines.

Here is a sample and I look forward to your comments. The preset for this song and the other 40+ shadows presets will be updated over the next few weeks and then released to anyone who wants them.

Hi StratnVox, I realise this is an old post of yours but your comment about having actual measured frequency responses of Wet and Dry paths from a tape Meazzi interests me a lot. I am retired nowadays and keep myself busy working on the Blue Nebula echo system that tries to emulate Hank's various Meazzi/Roland echos. Piet Verbruggen, whom I see you have quoted as a source of information, is one of the gang of 4 involved in this labour of love exercise that is Blue Nebula, a programmed DSP driven device. Is there any way I could access the frequency responses just to see if they fall into line with what I think I know? The problem is that many of those vintage echos I see are quite worn after 50 years and hence have poor Wet frequency response. I've realised over the years that there are many aspects to getting Hank Marvin's recorded sound, e.g. the tube saturation added by Abbey Road devices such as the Altec 436 compressor etc.

Hi StratnVox, I realise this is an old post of yours but your comment about having actual measured frequency responses of Wet and Dry paths from a tape Meazzi interests me a lot. I am retired nowadays and keep myself busy working on the Blue Nebula echo system that tries to emulate Hank's various Meazzi/Roland echos. Piet Verbruggen, whom I see you have quoted as a source of information, is one of the gang of 4 involved in this labour of love exercise that is Blue Nebula, a programmed DSP driven device. Is there any way I could access the frequency responses just to see if they fall into line with what I think I know? The problem is that many of those vintage echos I see are quite worn after 50 years and hence have poor Wet frequency response. I've realised over the years that there are many aspects to getting Hank Marvin's recorded sound, e.g. the tube saturation added by Abbey Road devices such as the Altec 436 compressor etc.
Thanks for responding.

The wet and dry signals I recorded came from a Meazzii tube Echomatic IV from memory which used a tape loop, not a drum as in the earlier models. The results of my analysis from the frequency analysis of the wet and dry sounds, normalised in an Excel Spreadsheet which if you PM me, I can send. Sheet 2 in that file shows a chart representation which is very similar to Piet's charts for the Echomatic II. I have ignored the variation between the Echomatic I and II.

My AxeFX III presets have a Parametric EQ reflecting these values in a block before the multidelay block.

Hi StratnVox.
Is there any way to get your AxeFx III Shadows presets?
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt. I have settled on a sound on the AxeFx III for most of my presets. The only thing to do now is change the CAB IR's from my custom ones to Factory ones and I have settled on my selection for both Vox AC15 and Vox AC30 AMPs.

I will post again when I have packaged them into a zip file.

Thanks for your interest.

Hi, does anyone have a copy of the zip file for the AxFX II that they could send me? The link in this thread is no longer valid. Thanks in advance.

Hi, does anyone have a copy of the zip file for the AxFX II that they could send me? The link in this thread is no longer valid. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I have updated the links for both AxeFXII on page 1 of this thread and for AxeFX III as per the above link.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom