Seymour Duncan PS170 vs Fryette Powersation

Lenster

Inspired
Totally vibing on my FM3 > PS170 > 212 cab rig ATM. Actually playing it more than my tube amp / pedalboard rigs.
Has anyone used both the PS170 & Fryette power station that could share some input?
Will the Fryette give me that extra wow factor or not?
I think it would fill an excellent void, so the Fryette could be used with my amps too.
But I'm more interested in the comparison with the PS170.
Cheers
Len

Maybe it’s me, but I couldn’t tell a noticeable difference between the two when playing at home. In a live band mix, not sure anyone could ever tell either.

Curious if others have a different view.

FWIW, I do like to cut bass and increase treble both slightly on the PS170 EQ knobs. When A/Bing with a real amp this got me the closest...

Maybe it’s me, but I couldn’t tell a noticeable difference between the two when playing at home. In a live band mix, not sure anyone could ever tell either.

Curious if others have a different view.

FWIW, I do like to cut bass and increase treble both slightly on the PS170 EQ knobs. When A/Bing with a real amp this got me the closest...

Why not adjusting those parameters in the amp instead of your poweramp?
I try to make a decent sound with the PS170 at noon and only use it's EQ when playing on a different cab ..

I’m going to do a full review soon but the Fryette LX II is the best piece of gear I have ever bought for my AxeFX rig. This amp is replacing 3 separate power sections for me. It’s what I have been looking for for over 10 years.

Why not adjusting those parameters in the amp instead of your poweramp?
I try to make a decent sound with the PS170 at noon and only use it's EQ when playing on a different cab ..
Yep , that’s what I try to do as well. I have two 212 cabs. I use the V30 loaded cab to make live presets then have to cut bass on the GFlex 212.

I’m going to do a full review soon but the Fryette LX II is the best piece of gear I have ever bought for my AxeFX rig. This amp is replacing 3 separate power sections for me. It’s what I have been looking for for over 10 years.
Looking forward to that review. That piece of kit had me gassing since it was first announced and Steve Fryette demo'd the prototype .... then I waited for the production model to appear .... and waited .... and waited ......

I have the PowerStage 170. I've tried dozens of amps, and it's pretty much one of the best-sounding SS power amps I've ever used.

It may or may not matter to you, but portability without sacrificing power and quality was a big deal to me. So you really can’t beat the form factor.
For me, it came down to this...

PowerStage 170
Weight
: 2.9 lb (1.3 kg)
Dimensions 8.8 x 7.15 x 4.25 inches

vs.

Fryette PS-2 Power Station
Weight
: 15 lb (7kg).
Dimensions: 14(35)W x 2.75 (7)H x 9(23)D.

Their both great sounding amps. You really can't go wrong with either, just one fits on a pedalboard better than the other.

Good luck with your decision!

Looking forward to that review. That piece of kit had me gassing since it was first announced and Steve Fryette demo'd the prototype .... then I waited for the production model to appear .... and waited .... and waited ......
Yeah like 6 years of beta testing! It makes Cygnus seem like a blink of the eye 😁. It went on the road with many big acts during that time period and was revised and improved. It was worth it for sure!!

Totally vibing on my FM3 > PS170 > 212 cab rig ATM. Actually playing it more than my tube amp / pedalboard rigs.
Has anyone used both the PS170 & Fryette power station that could share some input?
Will the Fryette give me that extra wow factor or not?
I think it would fill an excellent void, so the Fryette could be used with my amps too.
But I'm more interested in the comparison with the PS170.
Cheers
Len
I also love my PS 170 and my strategy was always: Do not change anything as long as you are fully satisfied :cool:

That is why I never tried a masterbuilt Fender Customshop as I am afraid of not loving my Fender USA Hardtail Strat after checking a masterbuilt ;)

Last edited:
I have the PowerStage 170. I've tried dozens of amps, and it's pretty much one of the best-sounding SS power amps I've ever used.

I totally agree. The SD powerstage 170 is really great!
I even thought about buying a second powerstage and cab for stereo stuff ...

Also, the KSR PA50 is the new kid on the block and is pretty stellar with the FM3 into a guitar cabinet. I've never played a powerstation, but I prefer the KSR over the Duncan Powerstage 200 and others I know prefer the KSR over the Fryette PS2 as well.

https://ksramps.com/product/pa50-compact-power-amp/
This has the potential to be amazing as well. It’s like a mono version of the stereo LXII. It seems companies are finally figuring it out. I bet it gets hot in that small form factor, so I’d be interested how they keep it cool.

This has the potential to be amazing as well. It’s like a mono version of the stereo LXII. It seems companies are finally figuring it out. I bet it gets hot in that small form factor, so I’d be interested how they keep it cool.

I've run my KSR for hours and it's no hotter than a normal tube amp. Has a fan that's always on.

I totally agree. The SD powerstage 170 is really great!
I even thought about buying a second powerstage and cab for stereo stuff ...

I use the PowerStage 170 with my FM3, but I bought a PowerStage 700 for the Axe-FX III for Stereo. I would recommend that as a viable option too if stereo is what you are looking to do.

Fryette, Duncan - A lot of great options!

Back
Top Bottom