Seymour Duncan PowerStage power amps?

The 170.
Played today and the chassis was quite hot, but still no fan. Also the temperature LED doesn't light up. So i guess its ok ... or not connected :tearsofjoy:
I had a 170 briefly but I can't remember if the fan was always on or temperature triggered. I guess SD went always-on for the 200.

I'm using the SD PS170 to push a F12-X200 I currently have in an Egnater cab. I'm experimenting using it and a pair of Atomic CLRs. I separate them using Out1, Out2, or blend them with scenes. They can compliment each other for a very full sound. The CLRs are great for piezo only scenes. I have the 170 at my feet so I can tweak its volume up or down with my foot for the blend I want on the fly. At one time I had two F12-X200s in a home made 2x12 cab wired in parallel. That could get pretty darn loud if you wanted it to. Even as a 1x12 with the 170 you can make a lot of noise. The X200s sound great on their own with Cygnus, but with the CLRs... wow. If I end up getting a pair of Avatar 3D 112 Forte cabs, I guess I'll need a PS700. I'll be deaf in a week. P.S. - the fan always runs on the 170 in my experience.Current Rig.jpg

the fan always runs on the 170 in my experience.

Well, turns out the fan should be running all the time and I'm using a broken unit since 1.5 years. Luckily its still under warranty, but that still sucks.
Unplanned work.

I hope I'll have it back, when I get my FM3 ...

Last edited:
I'm using the SD PS170 to push a F12-X200 I currently have in an Egnater cab. I'm experimenting using it and a pair of Atomic CLRs. I separate them using Out1, Out2, or blend them with scenes. They can compliment each other for a very full sound. The CLRs are great for piezo only scenes. I have the 170 at my feet so I can tweak its volume up or down with my foot for the blend I want on the fly. At one time I had two F12-X200s in a home made 2x12 cab wired in parallel. That could get pretty darn loud if you wanted it to. Even as a 1x12 with the 170 you can make a lot of noise. The X200s sound great on their own with Cygnus, but with the CLRs... wow. If I end up getting a pair of Avatar 3D 112 Forte cabs, I guess I'll need a PS700. I'll be deaf in a week. P.S. - the fan always runs on the 170 in my experience.View attachment 84939

Do you run a wet/dry/wet setup when using the CLRs and the 1x12 cab? I've got a 4x12 cab that's 4ohms that just sits. I'm tinkering with the idea of running a signal to it and using my powered Xitone wet. Of course, I need to research to see that the unit will run to a 4ohm.

Do you run a wet/dry/wet setup when using the CLRs and the 1x12 cab? I've got a 4x12 cab that's 4ohms that just sits. I'm tinkering with the idea of running a signal to it and using my powered Xitone wet. Of course, I need to research to see that the unit will run to a 4ohm.
I am sending the same end of signal to an Out1 and Out2 block right now.

How would you describe the tonal difference between the cab and the CLRs? And is the cab more pleasing to the ears when it's off axis from you?
To me... The CLRs are crystal clear and seem to reproduce the entire range of sound you feed it. The F12-X200s are very clear as well, (translates different IRs well to my ears) but do not produce the fidelity the CLRs do, especially the higher frequencies. They do give me a guitar cab thump the CLRs do not. The CLRs have a wider dispersion than the F12, but I've been using the cab on the floor and not pointing it at my head, so I'm pretty much always off axis. I'm probably going to buy the 3D 112 Forte from Avatar to help disperse the sound a little better. Blending the F12 and at least one CLR sounds better to me than either one alone in most, but not all, applications. I hope that helps.

I hope I'll have it back

Well, I have my Power Stage back and it sucks. The fan is not usable for home/studio use. It's so damn loud.
I'll buy an Orange Pedal Baby 100 and hope that it will sound as good as the Poewr Stage, but without a fan. If not, I will unplug the frickin fan of the Power Stage again ... it worked for 1.5 years, so what ...

I'm a bit confused that Seymour Duncan hasn't updated their PowerStage 700 with the expanded controls of the PowerStage 200. The addition of the Presence knob allowed the Treble knob to shift down a bit into a more "guitar suitable" frequency band, and the Mid and Bass knob center frequencies have been adjusted and improved as well.

Seems like that would make for a solid state amp to end all other solid state amps.

Back
Top Bottom