Seymour Duncan PowerStage power amps?

Reason I asked is that it seems the P170 needs the palladium pedal to drive and get the tube feel?

Or does the Ax8 have a drive block that does the same?

In this clip there is a Palladium pedal.

Does the Ax8 have this drive block?...

Reason I asked is that it seems the P170 needs the palladium pedal to drive and get the tube feel?
???

The AX8 has 250 tube amp models, each of which gives more tube amp feel than any pedal ever could.

Anyway, you're missing the point of that video. It was created to sell two Seymour Duncan products: the P170 and the Palladium. It's not about one product needing the other.

Back to the topic at hand... :)

I know I'm uninformed about this new technology, as a matter of fact I had just bought my AX8. I'm just starting to delve into the possibilities how i connect it with other products. Depending on the situation

No problem, ask away.

I just don't understand the question. Ask clear questions and you'll get clear answers. :)

I didn't know my question wasn't clear... Allow me to ask again or rephrase my question: Aside from cabinets is there anything the Seymour Duncan PowerStage can be connected to or is it exclusive for cabinet use only? I hope that clears it up bit...

Using a power amp, such as the SD 170, in conjunction with a modeler (Fractal, etc.), is required only when the modeler must be amplified through a cabinet.

Many floor monitors, and certainly FRFR monitors, already have a built-in power amp, and a power amp such as the SD is not necessary in such cases. Such monitors are "active" and use a power cord. The modeler can be connected directly to that monitor without a power amp like the SD.

Traditional guitar cabinets do not have a built-in power amp and thus require one, such as the SD.

Note that the SD is a "neutral" power amp; it just amplifies without coloring the sound. This because the modeler's output signal already contains the characteristics of a (virtual) power amp. Since the virtual power amp can't physically drive a speaker cabinet, an additional power amp, such as the SD, is needed.

The SD-170 is a neutral power amp and can only be used as such. Its output always goes to a speaker cabinet / passive monitor. That's its only purpose.

The new SD-200 can do more. It has a headphones output, DI output, and cab simulation (not as good as impulse responses).

Last edited:
T
Using a power amp, such as the SD 170, in conjunction with a modeler (Fractal, etc.), is required only when the modeler must be amplified through a cabinet.

Many floor monitors, and certainly FRFR monitors, already have a built-in power amp, and a power amp such as the SD is not necessary in such cases. Such monitors are "active" and use a power cord. The modeler can be connected directly to that monitor without a power amp like the SD.

Traditional guitar cabinets do not have a built-in power amp and thus require one, such as the SD.

Note that the SD is a "neutral" power amp; it just amplifies without coloring the sound. This because the modeler's output signal already contains the characteristics of a (virtual) power amp. Since the virtual power amp can't physically drive a speaker cabinet, an additional power amp, such as the SD, is needed.

The SD-170 is a neutral power amp and can only be used as such. You can out a guitar preamp in front of it, but its output always goes to a speaker cabinet / passive monitor. That's it's only purpose.

The new SD-200 can do more. It has a headphones output, DI output, and cab simulation (not as good as impulse responses).
Thank you for taking time answering my question. I'm still learning here. I appreciate it.

Nice explanation Yek, as usual.

For a person new to the modeling world or simply new to Fractal, if you are interested in using your Fractal WITH a traditional cabinet, then you would need a power amp, like the SD170. There are plenty of options actually...SD, Matrix, etc...
When connecting to a powered monitor, NOT needed.

Personally one reason I like the 170 is because it has EQ controls on the unit. So, quick tweaks are easily done at the SD unit without doing anything to the preset in the Fractal. This is especially nice when playing a variety of venues where slight bass and/or treble tweaks may be needed.
Also, it means you can send a direct signal to FOH (no tweaks) and still have your cab onstage connected to the SD170 and tweaked for YOU.

Many guys like having a cabinet on stage for the tone/feel. I did it for quite a while, worked very well.
Of course that's only until you go to full in-ear monitoring as a band and realize you don't have to lug that damn cabinet around anymore ;)

Anyway, I've used the SD170 quite a bit in different situations with my AX8 and other Fractal gear and found it performs very well.
I've been able to run a 4X12 cab and compete with a drummer no problem. Of course YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Sounds like if you have a powered Alto speaker, you wouldn't need the SD170 though.
Still a nice piece of kit to have available.

Best of luck, enjoy!!!

Nice explanation Yek, as usual.

For a person new to the modeling world or simply new to Fractal, if you are interested in using your Fractal WITH a traditional cabinet, then you would need a power amp, like the SD170. There are plenty of options actually...SD, Matrix, etc...
When connecting to a powered monitor, NOT needed.

Personally one reason I like the 170 is because it has EQ controls on the unit. So, quick tweaks are easily done at the SD unit without doing anything to the preset in the Fractal. This is especially nice when playing a variety of venues where slight bass and/or treble tweaks may be needed.
Also, it means you can send a direct signal to FOH (no tweaks) and still have your cab onstage connected to the SD170 and tweaked for YOU.

Many guys like having a cabinet on stage for the tone/feel. I did it for quite a while, worked very well.
Of course that's only until you go to full in-ear monitoring as a band and realize you don't have to lug that damn cabinet around anymore ;)

Anyway, I've used the SD170 quite a bit in different situations with my AX8 and other Fractal gear and found it performs very well.
I've been able to run a 4X12 cab and compete with a drummer no problem. Of course YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Sounds like if you have a powered Alto speaker, you wouldn't need the SD170 though.
Still a nice piece of kit to have available.

Best of luck, enjoy!!!
Thank you, I enjoy playing it with the AX8. It's like nothing I've played before.

Anyone here who has SD200 at home ? I need to check one particular functionality: is cooling fan always on ? I have SD170 and it is always on. As it doesn't matter while on stage , it's a bit too noisy while practicing at home at low volume level.
Thx :)

Anyone here who has SD200 at home ? I need to check one particular functionality: is cooling fan always on ? I have SD170 and it is always on. As it doesn't matter while on stage , it's a bit too noisy while practicing at home at low volume level.
Thx :)
I have one, and yes, it's always on. It's my only gripe with the unit. It's otherwise great.

Back
Top Bottom