Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 Users

• Thread starter TheElaborateDream
  • Start date
T

TheElaborateDream

How do you hook this thing up to the Axe? I just received mine today and the XLR is Male and so is the Axe. Are you using a Male/Male XLR? or are you using the input? The manual for this thing is terrible any help would be appreciated.

That's helpful. Thank you. What output do I use on the Axe? Do I need to set up a certain block?

I have a question about this routing. In that config you'd be using the PS 200's built-in cab modeling, right? You'd only be getting one signal from the Axe and if it's going to real cabs via external poweramp, then it shouldn't have a cab block routed into the chain. I don't know how great that cab modeling is going to be, especially compared to the options you'd have with the Axe's IR processing.

If it were me, I'd split the signal in the Axe's grid to Output1 and Output 3. I'd put a cab block at the very end of the signal path just before it hit the Output 1 block, and split the signal before the cab block and route the split signal into another Output. Probably Output 3 because Output 2 only has XLR outs. Ignore the XLR out on the Powerstage 200.

That way you can route the signal to the Powerstage + cabs (without IRs applied), and also to Front of House (with IRs applied), with the Axe-Fx doing all the IR processing.

Last edited:
I have a question about this routing. In that config you'd be using the PS 200's built-in cab modeling, right? You'd only be getting one signal from the Axe and if it's going to real cabs via external poweramp, then it shouldn't have a cab block routed into the chain. I don't know how great that cab modeling is going to be, especially compared to the options you'd have with the Axe's IR processing.

If it were me, I'd split the signal in the Axe's grid to Output1 and Output 3. I'd put a cab block at the very end of the signal path just before it hit the Output 1 block, and split the signal before the cab block and route the split signal into another Output. Probably Output 3 because Output 2 only has XLR outs. Ignore the XLR out on the Powerstage 200.

That way you can route the signal to the Powerstage + cabs (without IRs applied), and also to Front of House (with IRs applied), with the Axe-Fx doing all the IR processing.
I'm sorry, I am confused to what you are saying. I plan on using the PS200 with a real cab, no cab blocks and with the cab simulation off.

I thought the PS200 has an on and off switch for the built in Cab IR. I am under the impression if I am going straight from output 1 of the Axe to the input of the PS200 with the cab switch off that it should be a flat signal. I also planned on getting an XLR to 1/4 to connect it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the PS2000 has an on and off switch for the built in Cab IR. I am under the impression if I am going straight from output 1 of the Axe to the input of the PS200 with the cab switch off that it should be a flat signal. I also planned on getting an XLR to 1/4 to connect it.
You are correct the PS 200 does in fact have a CAB IR on/off switch as well as an EQ on/off switch right on the front panel. The EQ switch simply allows you to bypass the front panel EQ controls with a single button. As for the XLR to 1/4" converter it's really not needed, a simple 1/4" to 1/4" works fine.

I'm sorry, I am confused to what you are saying. I plan on using the PS200 with a real cab, no cab blocks and with the cab simulation off.

I thought the PS200 has an on and off switch for the built in Cab IR. I am under the impression if I am going straight from output 1 of the Axe to the input of the PS200 with the cab switch off that it should be a flat signal. I also planned on getting an XLR to 1/4 to connect it.

You can do that, but it would be better to route things like this:

GjlUgmh.png

Route Output 1 to your Powerstage and only use the Powerstage to power your cabs. Route the Axe's Output 2 to Front of House. The Axe-Fx will be way, way better at simulating cabs than whatever filter the Powerstage uses for cab simulation. Might as well put some of those 2000+ IRs in the Axe you paid for to good use. :)

I just purchased the PS200 to use with my Axe Fx FM9.I am using the PS200 to a real cab 4x12 Marshall with cab modeling turned off.

I was originally using the Matrix GT1000 with my Axe FX III and I tried it out with my FM9 and it sounds great. After using the PS200 in a couple of band practices, I am not enjoying my setup as much as I would like. I am hoping someone can give me some insight.

I find the PS200 to not to be very transparent at all compared to my Matrix GT1000. When I plugged the PS200 in with all the knobs at 12 or 0, I could instantly tell that the unit was coloring my tone. It sounded bassier (too warm almost like a blanket over a cab sound) and the bass response is also spongier. My amp tone also sounds more hairy compared to when I was using my Matrix.

When I purchased this, I was under the impression that with the knobs turned to 0 and the EQ turned off, that this would be completely transparent. I am finding that I must use the post EQ to get close to my original tone when using the Matrix. I had to turn down the bass, mids and presence on the unit and turn the treble up. If I turn the bass down to much it sounds like cardboard and the bass does not tighten up.

I am at the point now where it's very close to my original tone with the Matrix, but the bass response is still spongy and not tight the way I like it. Which is huge for me. I have to have a tight bass response. My amp preset still sounds hairy as well.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do that, but it would be better to route things like this:

GjlUgmh.png

Route Output 1 to your Powerstage and only use the Powerstage to power your cabs. Route the Axe's Output 2 to Front of House. The Axe-Fx will be way, way better at simulating cabs than whatever filter the Powerstage uses for cab simulation. Might as well put some of those 2000+ IRs in the Axe you paid for to good use. :)
This is what I do essentially

Back
Top Bottom