Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 or 700?

emerica1184

Hey guys, I recently acquired an ax8 and am looking to use a power amp to go into my Avatar 2x12 (16ohm). I see the SD powerstage offers a 170W and 700W version, but I can't seem to figure out which is ideal for me. I play 80% of the time in my bedroom at a low to medium volume. The other 20% I play in my basement with more volume, possibly with a drummer. I never gig. I play mostly metal, but also play a lot of modern rock. Which SD powerstage is right for me?

I personally opted for the 700w, but I was able it get it on sale for 15% off about a year and a half ago. It sounds great quiet and absolutely rips when loud. Granted, I was coming from using a Matrix Gt1000fx, which i got before the 1600fx was a thing, so i was used to running a high powered power amp. I personally go on the side of "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" so i always opt for more watts/headroom, but if you haven't already, check out Gear Gods video comparing the 2 amps. The 170 gets plety loud and seems to stay plenty clean from all the reviews and demos I've heard, and the form factor is a plus, but i already had the rack case for my Axe/Matrix setup.

The 170 is great. Very loud and a totally comical footprint for what it does. The only drawback (I’m pretty sure) is that it cannot power multiple cabs while the 700 can. This is not a problem for me.

If you can get the 700, get the 700. You shouldnt run into the issue of being underpowered. It's clean volume - both units should do TV levels fine.

The 170 is great. Very loud and a totally comical footprint for what it does. The only drawback (I’m pretty sure) is that it cannot power multiple cabs while the 700 can. This is not a problem for me.

There's only one speaker out so yes you can power multiple cabs if you daisy chain them, just means it will be mono and you don't want to go less than 4ohms. I use the 170 and a 1x12 cab on big stages, while I don't need super high stage volume since I also run direct to FOH, I should think the 170 is more than enough for bedroom volumes.

There's only one speaker out so yes you can power multiple cabs if you daisy chain them, just means it will be mono and you don't want to go less than 4ohms. I use the 170 and a 1x12 cab on big stages, while I don't need super high stage volume since I also run direct to FOH, I should think the 170 is more than enough for bedroom volumes.

Do you find the 170 fairly neutral or do you EQ it a bit? I’m using it to power a Matrix NL212 cab, which has some fizziness to the top end. I think the 170 feels pretty flat but wondering what others think.

Do you find the 170 fairly neutral or do you EQ it a bit? I’m using it to power a Matrix NL212 cab, which has some fizziness to the top end. I think the 170 feels pretty flat but wondering what others think.

I don't usually do much, if anything maybe boost the mids a little on the 170. I leave power amp modeling on but there's no cab block. When I run into the FX return of a tube amp (usually a Fender Hot Rod) I have to pull a lot of highs out with the Out 2 EQ otherwise it's way too ice-picky.

Just got a 170 as well. I am using it with my Mesa Mark 5:25. That little Mark roars now.
Running a 8ohm Carvin 2x12 on a 8ohm Panama 1x12 for a 4ohm load.

Back
Top Bottom