Seymour Duncan P-Rails?

Sixstring

Legend!
Anyone here using P-Rails in their guitars? I was contemplating a pup swap and looking for some advise as to wether or not it's really worth it. I get a fairly decent single coil tone out of the stocker Carvin pups right now but was liking the idea of a P90 tone along with it. Guitar woods are Hog, Maple and Ebony with a trem.

I was very interested in p-rails as well. I heard and played several of them at recent NAMMs and came away thinking that although they were cool for flexibility they lacked the best aspects of either SC or P90s. OTOH the new Fishman pups are still on my wish list. YMMV

I had some in one of my Delx Strats for a few months-The P-90 sounds were nice (but a bit different) but I just couldn't get use to the rest. Sold em'

Edit: The Strat was Alder with a maple fretboard.

I wondered about this.... I know some really like them but I don't think it's worth sacrificing the over all sound of a good pickup.

I have them in an LP Studio, and I like them much better than the SD Alnico II they replaced. The P90 sound is aboslutely fabulous (have never played real P90s), very punchy and bell like, fat and powerful, whithout mud. Both the HB variants (parallel/serial) are ok, one being leaner than the P90, the other fatter. I don't like the rail SC sound. The triple shot frames are a must with these, though, if you want all the options (if not, why would you not just get a P90).
The only thing annoying is the hum in the P90, which I thought I could live with but cannot... Therefore, I have some P90x from Kinman, on order, waiting for them since Dec last year.

I had some in one of my Delx Strats for a few months-The P-90 sounds were nice (but a bit different) but I just couldn't get use to the rest. Sold em'

Edit: The Strat was Alder with a maple fretboard.

I had a similar experience...sold em. Check around. There are a LOT of choices for the same, or less money.

I have them in one of my Carvins. They are flexible, but they sound very "generic" to me in all positions and coil selections. Kinda jack of all trades but master of none if you know what I mean. They don't sound bad, but they don't sound great either.

Back
Top Bottom