Seymour Duncan or Matrix power amp?

FusionFanatic

Inspired
Hello everyone,
I’m considering on getting a new power amp for my Axe2 and Mesa 1/12 cab(s).
I’ve been using a MosValve for MANY years... countless gigs, and it’s been great.. still going, owes me nothing.
But... I’d like to get a new power amp, and even improve my tones. Something we all want.
Having done some research, read some reviews... I’ve narrowed it down to maybe either the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700, or the Matrix GT1000.
So the question is... What in your knowledgeable opinion(s) might be the (better?) choice. Basically, as far as the Axe2 and guitar cabinet (without the cab sims on) .. the amp that best gives the ‘alive’ tube tones.
There’s one thing I’m not crazy about as far as the PowerStage 700 goes... but it’s not a deal breaker.. The inputs and power switch are ass backwards IMO. lol

Not for nuthin', but I picked up a used Art SLA2 and couldn't be happier. Later, I picked up a Matrix GT800 hoping to improve the tone (not that it was lacking, mind you) and shed a little weight but, frankly, the SLA sounded a little better, so I sold the Matrix.

I have the smaller powerstage, and I absolutly LOVE it! Hav had many other poweramp (marshalls and mesa's), and except maybe for my 2:ninety (which weighs a ton), powerstage sounds the best to me! I thought I hated my cabs, until I replaced my Marshall 8008 with the powerstage, and found out they sound awesome.

I'd love to pick up a Powerstage 700 but its form factor of being 1.5 rack spaces tall, plus also having to route two cables to the front of a rack unit is really off-putting. Not to mention when this issue was brought up to people at Seymour Duncan, they apparently got snotty and said stuff like "well if it's good enough for Mark Holcomb of Periphery, it should be good enough for you" and other BS like that.

So, you know, it makes it tougher to pull the trigger when the company is run by pretentious douches who spend that much time up their own asses.

I'm not sure that you're going to improve upon the MOSvalve? Apart from the fan noise, they're pretty good sounding power amps.
I always wondered why no one brings up the ISP Stealth stereo power amp? The laptop power supply kind of sucks but they sound good and they get LOUD.

I always wondered why no one brings up the ISP Stealth power amp? The laptop power supply kind of sucks but they sound good and they get LOUD.

The power supply is my only issue with the ISP Stealth. Other than that, it sounds great (I own one).

Back
Top Bottom