Several more questions

357mag

1. Do you guys back up your Axe-FX? According to the manual a guy needs something else to do a backup I guess? A third party sysEx utility? I don't follow. What does the backup include?

2. When I get my unit will I be able to tell which presets came from the factory and which presets the previous owner added? Is it pretty easy to just delete the previous owner's presets?

3. I was thinking when I get the unit of doing a factory reset. Would that wipe out any presets that the previous owner added?

1. Do you guys back up your Axe-FX? According to the manual a guy needs something else to do a backup I guess? A third party sysEx utility? I don't follow. What does the backup include?
Use Fractal-Bot. The backup includes everything: every preset bank, every system setting, every user cabinet.

2. When I get my unit will I be able to tell which presets came from the factory and which presets the previous owner added? Is it pretty easy to just delete the previous owner's presets?
Not really. You can reinstall the factory banks. They're usually in banks A through C.

3. I was thinking when I get the unit of doing a factory reset. Would that wipe out any presets that the previous owner added?
You can reset the following independently: system settings, preset banks, IR banks.

That's what I was wondering about. Doing a factory reset deleting any previous presets the previous owner added.

I forgot to add that I'm planning on using headphones with it. I live in an apartment so practicing using headphones is a great way to practice. I got a pair of Sennheisers that I really like the sound of.

That's what I was wondering about. Doing a factory reset deleting any previous presets the previous owner added.
A factory reset just resets the system settings.

You need to download and then load the factory presets to get that back.

So doing a factory reset will not delete any previous user added presets? Repartee41 led me to believe it would.

So doing a factory reset will not delete any previous user added presets? Repartee41 led me to believe it would.
Well, depending on which model of Axe Fx II you have you can optionally erase all presets.

See here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_system_parameters#Axe-Fx_II

Note that if you have a mkI/II you may have a hard time locating the files required to "clean" it.

However, before wiping or resetting anything just take a backup. Then no matter what happens you can get back to where it was.

As far as I know what I purchased was just called Axe-FX II. I didn't see XL or Mark II. When I get it is there a way I can tell specifically?

How would I reload the factory presets again? Seems to me that should be automatically done by the unit itself upon resetting it.

Here is a photo of the front:View attachment 85692
You have a II mark 1. Go in to utilities and reset system parameters, then install the latest firmware through fractalbot, then you can reinstall all the factory presets through fractalbot as well, which will overwrite all preset slots. For user cabs it's slightly different, and might be easier to delete them through axe-edit or fractool. I believe there might be a clean system image that overwrites the first 50 cabs to clean, but I don't recall what it is or where it is exactly.

According to the Wiki article you download a blank bank Sysex file if you want to delete all presets. But where does a guy download this file from?

According to the Wiki article you download a blank bank Sysex file if you want to delete all presets. But where does a guy download this file from?
There's not much value in deleting all the presets when you can write any preset you want over the top of whatever preset is there to start with.

But if you absolutely, positively want to see blank presets everywhere, you can make your own blank bank SysEx file. Just create an empty preset, save it to every location in a bank, and back up that bank. Done.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "wave it"? And I don't anticipate having 15 different presets that I am going to make. I don't require that many.

What do you mean by "wave it"? And I don't anticipate having 15 different presets that I am going to make. I don't require that many.
*save

What I did was load the factory presets, all of them, then go through them and delete the ones I wouldn't use. Reorganize with preset-manage in Axe-edit and you have plenty of space for whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom