Setup Help with HD500x as MIDI controller

bshaw92

Experienced
I decided to try the HD500x as a midi controller and have most of it set up. The looper works fine, tap tempo etc. I need help with the proper way to set up the vol/wah pedal and if there is a way to use the up/down arrows and A/B/C/D to get to presets and/or channels-scenes. I currently use one footswitch to go between channel A and D, but looking to see how much I can get out of it. Any direction would be appreciated.

Can anyone lend some guidance on the correct setup to use the up/down arrows and A/B/C/D on the HD500x to either change presets or channels. I've been playing around with it and can get it to change the presets but not sure what numerical order they are in to make the layout correct. I am fine with it changing either preset number or channel.

The last item would then be the pedal setup.

I have the looper, tap and effects as well as a channel A/D on my reverb and amp working well. Just need help grasping the last few items.

I have Preset Change on starting at 0 to 127. Preset Inc and Dec set to 1. When I arrow up or down it should go through the presets with bank 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B...etc. Not doing that. There are a couple here and there (3 I think) that click to a different preset. I'd be happy with either a preset change or channel change.

If anyone has any ideas for me please post them and I'll try it out - gladly.

upload_2018-12-4_14-30-35.png

Task Complete. Finished the learning curve with this setup and it works pretty good. Not sure if anyone is looking for a midi controller for the III, but if you are the 500 or 500X has a lot of positives.

upload_2018-12-4_14-33-49.png

Good for you, man! I love (hate) programming midi controllers and making them do what I want them to do :D

View attachment 51058

Task Complete. Finished the learning curve with this setup and it works pretty good. Not sure if anyone is looking for a midi controller for the III, but if you are the 500 or 500X has a lot of positives.

View attachment 51059
I have the hd 500. put it away since I got the III, how hard was it to get it working? I'm sure its not a plug and play. I thought it would hurt my III if I plugged it in. any help of resources would be appreciated. thx

The hard part was learning the hows and whys for the options within the Axe 3. The setup is easy, especially with the learn function on the axe 3. I can write some stuff down here shortly and send it. Some brief high level stuff. Set the HD and Axe up for the same channel - 1. Start with the HD and create a preset where you give the footswitches CC commands - including toe, exp 1 and exp 2. Once you have that everything else will be from the axe 3. I'll list those in a while when I can get in front of it.

Ok after you have the HD setup for the CC's in the switches save the patch.

Go into the AXE midi setup
upload_2018-12-4_20-8-56.png

Then on to mapping.....
upload_2018-12-4_20-9-30.png

This is where you setup your preset up and down arrows based on whether you want just a preset change or a preset, scene, channel change. What you see is just a preset change. I then use a channel A & D. I you want scenes change the "To Scene" to your desired scene and preset would be the specific preset. If you want preset 0 to stay on but change scene/channel keep To Preset as 0 and To Scene would be A, B, C or D. Keep going on the setup until you've had enough....then on to bypass.

Bypass is on/off -
upload_2018-12-4_20-13-30.png
upload_2018-12-4_20-15-31.png

I have these as the effects. Scroll to the location that you want to map. Hit the learn button on the AXE......push the footswitch you want to map. DONE. That was easy. Do that for all your footswitches. The WAH toe switch goes in the wah spot - Learn then push the footswitch to engage the toe button.
upload_2018-12-4_20-16-5.png

Then to Channels....

upload_2018-12-4_20-17-17.png

I set the amp up to change between channel A and D with a footswitch to have two different amp setups (low gain/med gain). I also set a reverb to do this with Ice on a channel and just a slight ambient for a little air. Just about done.
On to External....
upload_2018-12-4_20-19-55.png

This is where you have your volume and wah pedal mapped. The HD should have CC #'s in the Exp 1 and Exp 2. Go to external control 1......make sure the hd is on exp 1 and hit the learn button.....then move it. Do the same for External Control 2 and the wah side (I used Exp 2).
You will then go into the controller portion on the AXE (I used the editor) and click the yellow circle at the bottom. Choose external control and move the foot pedal. The dot should move on the line in the graph. Done. Move to the looper.

upload_2018-12-4_20-23-52.png

These values are already set in the HD so no need to set anything up. Make sure you don't use these numbers on teh previous CC choices. I did not set a CC for the looper because it can stay on. When you hit the looper button on the HD it brings up the looper menu. I mapped the switches marked as the same on the AXE. Use the magic learn button and hit the switches you wish to map. You know have the looper in play. On to the last items.....TAP

upload_2018-12-4_20-26-50.png

Same steps with tap tempo.Learn and then hit Tap. They are now mapped. The good part is the HD flashes the tempo. You will at least have a visual reference to the tempo you have set. Preset increase and decrease as shown and you are done.

I named my presets to match and more than happy so far with the results.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_20-29-4.png
    upload_2018-12-4_20-29-4.png
    802.2 KB · Views: 14
upload_2018-12-4_20-33-31.png
Presets named on HD to match.....
upload_2018-12-4_20-34-22.png
upload_2018-12-4_20-34-46.png

Preset 0 on AXE is 1A on the HD....1B is 001 on the AXE....etc.

So at the end of the day the looper works, Tap tempo flashes the tempo (does not get a reading from the Axe but tempo is tempo...., changes presets or channels and effects. Also you have a volume and wah pedal. Easy to setup once I got my head around the variables.

It's for the 500x. I don't believe they are compatible. If you find that you can work with it then let me know and I can send the preset file over.

This tutorial was a HUGE help for me and it also relieved a bit of my learning curve frustration! Great work and much appreciated!!

Now to tweak this to fit my patches.

Back
Top Bottom