Setup & Gig Review - Axe-Fx III and FC-6

JD_

Inspired
Had my first gig last night with the Axe-FX III and FC-6 combo and thought I'd give a little review and describe my setup.

TLDR version: A great gig with killer guitar tone, easy control over my rig, and lots of compliments.

My band does classic rock and 80's metal covers (Sabbath, Ozzy, Skid Row, Kiss, Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Van Halen, Nugent, etc.). I run full FRFR, and use a EVH ZLX-12P for stage volume/backline. I have the FC6 set up as follows (top row = preset up, tuner, preset down; bottom row = (per-preset switch if needed, scene 1 (rhythm), scene 2 (lead). For some songs, I'll need a 3rd variation, so I use my 'per-preset' switch for that. As an example, in some Van Halen songs, I want to punch the Flanger in and out, so I set that switch as momentary and assign it to the Flanger, so when I step on it, the Flanger comes on, and when I step off, the Flanger disengages. In some presets, I assign it to a momentary switch to turn on the pitch block set for a harmony. I have the top middle switch set to take me to a 2nd layout where I can individually control effects if I want. It's rare, but it's there if I need it.

I have two expression pedals, and use the right one for volume, and the left one I'll assign based on the preset - usually wah, but I also use it like a Digitech Whammy in one song. I also have a Freqout pedal that I use for the long feedback/sustain note in Stranglehold (would love to see this make it into the AF3 so I don't need the pedal!). :) I use a single amp type (5153 Blue), and for cleans, I set the range of the volume block to start at some low percentage (maybe 20ish), so when I step on the heel, it's like rolling back the volume on my guitar, but I can get to the exact level I want without fussing with the volume knob on the guitar. In some presets, I'll also assign more reverb/delay to the heel position, which will taper down as I roll the pedal forward.

In terms of flexibility and control, I couldn't be happier. For my needs, 6 switches is enough, and with the ability to easily move to alternate layouts on the fly, it's more than enough. I was able to switch between all the needed variations - volume, harmony, whammy, lead/rhythm, wah, etc. - with minimal thought, and I could focus on playing vs. execution. The only negative was that my FC-6 stopped responding to my bottom right switch, so I couldn't switch to my lead scene until I unplugged/replugged the XLR cable to the FC6. The cable is a cheapy, so that could be the culprit.

The tone was outstanding. I dialed in my tones at quite a loud volume at home through my ZLX-12P, and I always wonder how they're going to translate to a venue's PA. Setup was about 15 minutes including unpacking guitars, setting up the FC-6, and connecting to my speaker and the house PA, and in this case, I didn't make any adjustments at all, and was blown away by the tone. I use the Bright switch on the model, which can make the tone a little top-endy, so I high cut the cab at 6800 and low cut it at 125, but the sound guy remarked at how it had a nice beefy low end. The guitar sat really well with the bass and drums, and was very clear; I thought the mix was great.

I got more compliments on the tone last night than at any other gig I've played. The band that followed us were playing Les Paul Customs into a Marshall JTM45 half stack and a Friedman Dirty Shirley, both killer amps, and they sounded great, but I preferred the tone I got out of my rig.

I don't really save much carry weight over a traditional rig, but for the flexibility, consistency, and tone, I'm very happy with my Fractal rig.

Last edited:
Had my first gig last night with the Axe-FX III and FC-6 combo and thought I'd give a little review and describe my setup.

TLDR version: A great gig with killer guitar tone, easy control over my rig, and lots of compliments.

My band does classic rock and 80's metal covers (Sabbath, Ozzy, Skid Row, Kiss, Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Van Halen, Nugent, etc.). I run full FRFR, and use a EVH ZLX-12P for stage volume/backline. I have the FC6 set up as follows (top row = preset up, tuner, preset down; bottom row = (per-preset switch if needed, scene 1 (rhythm), scene 2 (lead). For some songs, I'll need a 3rd variation, so I use my 'per-preset' switch for that. As an example, in some Van Halen songs, I want to punch the Flanger in and out, so I set that switch as momentary and assign it to the Flanger, so when I step on it, the Flanger comes on, and when I step off, the Flanger disengages. In some presets, I assign it to turn on the harmony block. I have the top middle switch set to take me to a 2nd layout where I can individually control effects if I want. It's rare, but it's there if I need it.

I have two expression pedals, and use the right one for volume, and the left one I'll assign based on the preset - usually wah, but I also use it like a Digitech Whammy in one song. I also have a Freqout pedal that I use for the long feedback/sustain note in Stranglehold (would love to see this make it into the AF3 so I don't need the pedal!). :) I use a single amp type (5153 Blue), and for cleans, I set the range of the volume block to start at some low percentage (maybe 20ish), so when I step on the heel, it's like rolling back the volume on my guitar, but I can get to the exact level I want without fussing with the volume knob on the guitar. In some presets, I'll also assign more reverb/delay to the heel position, which will taper down as I roll the pedal forward.

In terms of flexibility and control, I couldn't be happier. For my needs, 6 switches is enough, and with the ability to easily move to alternate layouts on the fly, it's more than enough. I was able to switch between all the needed variations - volume, harmony, whammy, lead/rhythm, wah, etc. - with minimal thought, and I could focus on playing vs. execution. The only negative was that my FC-6 stopped responding to my bottom right switch, so I couldn't switch to my lead scene until I unplugged/replugged the XLR cable to the FC6. The cable is a cheapy, so that could be the culprit.

The tone was outstanding. I dialed in my tones at quite a loud volume at home through my ZLX-12P, and I always wonder how they're going to translate to a venue's PA. Setup was about 15 minutes including unpacking guitars, setting up the FC-6, and connecting to my speaker and the house PA, and in this case, I didn't make any adjustments at all, and was blown away by the tone. I use the Bright switch on the model, which can make the tone a little top-endy, so I high cut the cab at 6800 and low cut it at 125, but the sound guy remarked at how it had a nice beefy low end. The guitar sat really well with the bass and drums, and was very clear; I thought the mix was great.

I got more compliments on the tone last night than at any other gig I've played. The band that followed us were playing Les Paul Customs into a Marshall JTM45 half stack and a Friedman Dirty Shirley, both killer amps, and they sounded great, but I preferred the tone I got out of my rig.

I don't really save much carry weight over a traditional rig, but for the flexibility, consistency, and tone, I'm very happy with my Fractal rig.
Hey JD thanks for doing a write up on the Fc6
My drummers name is Jd pretty cool..
Anyway loved your review

I started leaving the amps home when soundguys started telling me my fractals sounded better than my miced amps. I ran both in tandem for a few gigs as a crutch.

When I got my AF2 a couple years ago, I took my tube amp to the first couple of gigs 'just in case', but didn't end up using them. My only concern at this point is what I'd use for a backup rig if something should go wrong with the AF3. I took a tube head last night that has a direct out, and left it in my car.

Back
Top Bottom