AFIII Setup for recording with Axe Fx III?

WilliamMadyam

Hello everyone! I’ve been scouring the manual and YouTube finding as much information as I can on this topic, but I’m left a bit confused since I’m new to all of this. I’m really only looking to record instrumental guitar tracks in Logic Pro X, and I’m wondering if I should plug the Axe directly into my MacBook, or if I should run it through an interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2)?

I’ve also been learning how to record and I’m seeing lots of people say it’s good to record wet and dry signals simultaneously, and that different outputs need to be used to achieve this. I’m seeing tutorial videos where different outputs are being selected within Axe edit, and I’m not sure if they also have multiple physical output cables running out the back of the Axe. Can I simply plug the Axe into either an audio interface or the Mac directly through one output and handle the fine details in Axe edit? I apologize for my ignorance, again I’m a bit confused by the info I’ve read since I’m just learning.

Any help is appreciated!

You can connect the III to your computer via USB directly. If you're just recording instrumental that's all you need. How you set up the grid will record at different points. Ex: Out 1 has the delay - if you like it it's good! Out 2 has the dry signal only. You could add delay from your DAW. Out 5/6 are the DI signal you can use for reamping if you'd like. - Edit *I'm using Cakewalk as my DAW. I create 3 tracks to do this. One track is Stereo of out 1 (1+2 in the DAW) the next track is Stereo of out 2 (3+4 in the Daw) and the last track is Mono of out 3 (5 in the DAW)
1586203084551.png

You can get creative with it. Here Out 1 is dry and Out 2 is the delay. Set the mix to 100% so it doesn't have the dry signal.
1586203248554.png

I personally just go USB direct and use all the multiple outputs depending on what I need or what producers/clients want.

For example = in your DAW inputs 1/2 will record the wet sound of your preset going to the out1 block, but inputs 5/6 will record the DI signal automatically from the input of the AxeFX. Great for re-amping later in case you want to modify or adjust the tone without having to retrack the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom