Settings to configure for setting up Axe with Poweramp & Cab

teof

Inspired
Hi guys,

I'm really sorry about posting this.
Will be very grateful if anyone of you would kindly provide some guidance as to the settings I need to tweak in Axe when setting it up with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage and a real cabinet.

Thus far, I'm only turning Cab block off (i understand I can do it in global settings too) and changing "Output Mode" to "SS Pwr Amp +Cab" under "Speaker" tab in Amp block & bring Speaker Compression to 0.

I'm running Axe through SD Powerstage 200 and Mesa Boogie 1x12 Thiele Front Ported Compact Cabinet. I just cant seem to get a tight chugga crunch.

Grateful appreciate any guidance that you guys could offer. Thanks much guys.

Experiment with different amps. What sounds good through an IR of a 4x12 Mesa cabinet may not sound good through a real Marshal 2x12 with Celestion greenbacks.

Are you ONLY running through the power-amp and cab? Are you creating your own patches, or using presets?

In the Amp Block:

Set the Impedance Curve to what sounds best, for me it was the 2x12 Zilla

In the Input EQ tab, Cut the lows below 90hz and the highs above 6500

Add a ParaEq block after the Amp block:

Block everything below 90hz and above 6500hz

for me... I am really mostly interested in recorded sound as I don't play out... but inspiration is often taken from running out to 1 of 3 sets of stereo poweramps/cabs. With this in mind I typically setup my preset using my studio monitors and/or headphones. One of those power amps is primarily for bass so runs from output 1 to a fairly flat set of 3-way speakers. for the other two amps/speakers I run from output block 2 coming off the back side of the amp block - sometimes with additional fx- parting just before the cab block. I don't turn off power amp simulation as for me i'll sacrifice realism/clarity for the sake of getting that power amp flavor as it's just too much of a part of how most amps sound.
I have maxed out my vol coming out of block 2 because tube power amps just sound better driven harder. Figuring that out made quite a dif for me.

In the past I have tried going the opposite direction and mixing my preset based on hearing the power-amp/cab... but i find I will hear that same preset back through the monitors and discover I've jacked up the gain quite a bit. I think it's just a lot easier to not hear noise when listening to a 2x50w tube poweramp and some greenbacks.
I find I like to blend my tube setups and my studio monitors at the sm time. I would think this would be equiv of running to the pa system from out1 while using out2 -> amps/cabs for personal monitoring.
works for me but fairly obvious that I'm sacrificing a little bit of live sound for the optimal recorded sound. ymmv

What amps/kinds of tones are you going for? The answer to getting a tight sound for a JCM800 is going to be different than the answer for a Dual Rec.

I spend a lot of time in the chugging area and use a similar setup (PS170/BAM200 into two 2x12’s….one being an old Mesa with Black Shadows). Some amps I don’t need to venture past the Tone menu, as where other amps, namely Mesa’s, I’ll be hitting up that post-EQ quite a bit. Mesa’s in Fractal land need to be dialed in the same way they do with the actual amps, especially the Marks. Dropping the bass on the front panel (I literally have mine all the way down) while using the post-EQ to bring it back in.

And just like I would an actual Dual Rec, I boost them with an 808 or other drive pedal doing the Gain at 0 but Level at 10.

Toss out a couple amps/tone examples of what you’re going for, it’ll make things a little easier to provide input.

Sorry when I put the ? mark it only said “would you elaborate on this please.” I didn’t know how to elaborate on it. You must have edited right as I pressed reply and I didn’t notice it.
You mentioned to th OP how much signal are you sending to the duncan powerstage".. me asking you to elaborate means.... does it matter how much signal you send? I've found most users post crank the power amp to 3/4 volume, bring axe output to meet desired volume. However, if your mentioning something different, I always like knowing if there's a better or worth considering option. Thanks

I gigged with a loud band using my FM9 and PS170 into a 1965A cab last week. Out3 with no cab sims at full unity (100%) and adjusted PS170 vol to taste for the room. It's great having that PS170 EQ easily tweakable for the room. Huge praise from others on the tones, and the best I've ever sounded. It was crushingly good! :)

What amps/kinds of tones are you going for? The answer to getting a tight sound for a JCM800 is going to be different than the answer for a Dual Rec.

I spend a lot of time in the chugging area and use a similar setup (PS170/BAM200 into two 2x12’s….one being an old Mesa with Black Shadows). Some amps I don’t need to venture past the Tone menu, as where other amps, namely Mesa’s, I’ll be hitting up that post-EQ quite a bit. Mesa’s in Fractal land need to be dialed in the same way they do with the actual amps, especially the Marks. Dropping the bass on the front panel (I literally have mine all the way down) while using the post-EQ to bring it back in.

And just like I would an actual Dual Rec, I boost them with an 808 or other drive pedal doing the Gain at 0 but Level at 10.

Toss out a couple amps/tone examples of what you’re going for, it’ll make things a little easier to provide input.
Thanks much! I'm experimenting with IIC, Mark IV, Plexi, 5153.
I just wondering if what I should be setting for things like Speaker Compression, Speaker Drive, Thump. In addition, if there's a need to adjust Input 1 Gain in the I/O Menu which is currently at 1.

Thanks much! I'm experimenting with IIC, Mark IV, Plexi, 5153.
I just wondering if what I should be setting for things like Speaker Compression, Speaker Drive, Thump. In addition, if there's a need to adjust Input 1 Gain in the I/O Menu which is currently at 1.

Start turnin’ the knobs and see what happens! That’s entirely stuff that’s going to be based off your personal preferences. I haven’t even touched that stuff since it’s been updated, I keep intending to check it out but just end up playing instead. So there’s definitely not a NEED to do it, but it’s fun to play with stuff!

Back
Top Bottom