Settings of recording tracks in Logic for rhythm guitars

lj045637

Inspired
Dear all,

I have got a question regarding the recording of rhythm guitars in Logic:

I have two presets which are in stereo. These presets are used for two different guitars.

How do I set up the recording tracks in Logic...
a) two stereo tracks (Input 1 & Input 2) or
b) two mono tracks (each Input 1) panned to left and right?

Appreciate your support.

Thanks.

Up to you. 2x mono tracks will allow you to EQ each track differently & add different efx (compressors, delays).

I always go for a stereo track because the Axe uses stereo reverb and effects most of the time. Even if I'm double tracking and panning hard left and right I'll use a stereo track in logic so I've always got the stereo info from the reverbs and effects if i need it for the mix. Very rarely do you want to process each side of the same instrument differently with compression and I'd imagine stereo effects are taken care of with the axe before you record anyway.

I always use a mono channel to get the dry guitar signal at the same time too so you can play it back through the axe and tweak the tone later if you want.

It's up to you but I usually find the stereo method keeps things tidier :)

Most of the time people double double track with mono tracks but use whatever works best for you

Most of the time people double double track with mono tracks but use whatever works best for you

This is true because it'd be much simpler if you were using real mics.

I find that if you don't spread your double (or quadruple) tracks to the extremes though you get a much better sense of the reverb space from the axe if you've recorded everything in stereo. It'd be a pain to do in the real world but with the axe its easy to capture everything in glorious stereo without any mono compatibility issues and phase cancellation so you might as well as long as your hard drive has the space! :)

Back
Top Bottom