Setting up volume pedal with MFC 101 and Axe-Fx II

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hi -

As I'm still relatively new to the Axe-Fx II, this is likely a dumb question. And I did read the manual and wiki, and am still having a trouble, so any help would be hugely appreciated!!! Two questions:

1. Simplest - I have a Boss FV-500L and want to set it us as a volume pedal (to start) with the MFC 101 and Axe Fx 2. Is someone able to give me exact step by steps (again, I read the manual and wiki - I'm terrible with MIDI, so any help spelling it out would be really great)!

2. Once #1 is done, I'm assuming that will control output 1 - is that correct? Is there a way to make it control _both_ output 1 AND output 2 at the same time? (I am running direct to FOH out of output 1 and to a power amp and cab for backline on stage - so don't want no volume control on stage, but volume control in FOH!)

Thank yoU!!

:):encouragement::encouragement:

If you are not planning on changing it throughout the show, or even just a few times, just use the output 1 control on the right side of the face of the unit and use the pedal for something more important.

If you are using it often (not sure why you would) then go back to the wiki and the manual for the MFC101 also, not just the AXE-FX - It is in one of those locations. Anyone else here on the forum will need to do the same for you anyway. So, go back and find it. It will be good practice in procedure so that you don't have to have the other forum users look up your every need for such things. We would just get it from the same place anyway, and it is very well documented.

Let us know that you found it after you are done! :encouragement:

Connect the Expression jack in the pedal with a TRS cable to XP1 on the MFC. In the Axe I/O menu CTRL page, change the number for Output 2 to the same number as Output 1 (I believe it should be 11).

Assuming all default settings, done.

If you ever want to do more than that with the pedal, change Output 2's number back to default and watch this video:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/01/how-do-i-setup-expression-pedals-with-the-mfc-101/

Thanks Chris. Just so happened to have the same problem arise this week and that worked great.

1. Simplest - I have a Boss FV-500L and want to set it us as a volume pedal (to start) with the MFC 101 and Axe Fx 2. Is someone able to give me exact step by steps (again, I read the manual and wiki - I'm terrible with MIDI, so any help spelling it out would be really great)!

EDIT: Just watch Chris's video lol as it is basically transcript'd below.

Another option that I use for all of my presets to maintain proper gain-staging consistently throughout shifting through the presets is using a VOLUME block in your signal chain. Then you use Axe-Edit to set a Modifier for the volume action of that block (CTRL + CLICK) then you just have to make sure that your XP1 is mapped for "External 1" modifier. Example signal chain:

IN | VOL (modifier "External 1" on the volume parameter) > shunt > DRIVE > AMP > CAB > REVERB > DELAY > shunt | OUT

Chris already responded in the thread and I learned it from one of his previous videos that helped a ton.

NOTE: With the already suggested "Output 1" volume out, you will be changing the MASTER volume out so anything in output will be controlled by your pedal. Meaning, your reverb/delay/post-efx will not "repeat" if you plan on performing swells. Just an FYI that is why I utilize the Volume blocks as I play mostly ambient tones.

Myself, I've taken to using a volume/pan block for my volume pedal needs rather than tying the pedal to input or output volume. For me, the advantage was twofold
1) I can experiment with the volume taper
2) I can disable the volume block if needed, per scene or with an external controller (also shown in Chris's video) and re-purpose the pedal on the fly.

I use my Mission expression pedal for volume most of the time, but in one instance I use it as a wah, so when I click the wah on it bypasses the volume block. I do a similar thing with a few other instances where I want to use the pedal for something other than volume. Obviously this works best when you default to having your volume pedal full-on. It works for me because I like the volume pedal at the front of the chain and I use it exclusively for volume swells and muting my guitar while tuning. I don't use it at the end of the chain as a rig volume control. I use a volume knob for that.

I've wired up a little platform that sits behind my MFC-101 that has three pots and three switches. One of the pots has a big knob I can turn with my foot, and that controls global output level. Same idea as the "Nose" expression knob - same knob even (available at Radio Shack), it just cost less and it's integrated into my pedal board in such a way that it looks like the MFC has a top row of knobs and foot switches.

Last edited:
Just want to thank everybody for the super helpful comments. Through this exercise I learned how to insert a volume block which achieves what I wanted perfectly. This is a great community. Thanks!!

Need help with expression pedals

All, I'm a noob and tech challenged. I have an Axe-fx II XL and MFC-101 Mark III. I also bought two Mission expression pedals - an SP-1 and an EP-1 with spring. I want to use it similar to how Chris explains in the video. I really need help. I can't seem to get it to work right. I ma just trying to get the SP-1 with the switch to work as a volume pedal and the switch to turn on a volume boost. Can't seem to make it work and when I hit the switch it sounds like a wah turns on but the foot control doesn't control it. Very frustrating but not giving up. Any help would be appreciated. I watched Chris' video several times but there are some differences in the way he is doing it. He is plugging the switch into XP-2 instead of switch 1-2. Is there someone at Fractal we can call? I need someone to talk me through this the first time and then I can pick up myself. Thanks.

Myself, I've taken to using a volume/pan block for my volume pedal needs rather than tying the pedal to input or output volume. For me, the advantage was twofold
1) I can experiment with the volume taper
2) I can disable the volume block if needed, per scene or with an external controller (also shown in Chris's video) and re-purpose the pedal on the fly.

I use my Mission expression pedal for volume most of the time, but in one instance I use it as a wah, so when I click the wah on it bypasses the volume block. I do a similar thing with a few other instances where I want to use the pedal for something other than volume. Obviously this works best when you default to having your volume pedal full-on. It works for me because I like the volume pedal at the front of the chain and I use it exclusively for volume swells and muting my guitar while tuning. I don't use it at the end of the chain as a rig volume control. I use a volume knob for that.

I've wired up a little platform that sits behind my MFC-101 that has three pots and three switches. One of the pots has a big knob I can turn with my foot, and that controls global output level. Same idea as the "Nose" expression knob - same knob even (available at Radio Shack), it just cost less and it's integrated into my pedal board in such a way that it looks like the MFC has a top row of knobs and foot switches.

All, I'm a noob and tech challenged. I have an Axe-fx II XL and MFC-101 Mark III. I also bought two Mission expression pedals - an SP-1 and an EP-1 with spring. I want to use it similar to how Chris explains in the video. I really need help. I can't seem to get it to work right. I ma just trying to get the SP-1 with the switch to work as a volume pedal and the switch to turn on a volume boost. Can't seem to make it work and when I hit the switch it sounds like a wah turns on but the foot control doesn't control it. Very frustrating but not giving up. Any help would be appreciated. I watched Chris' video several times but there are some differences in the way he is doing it. He is plugging the switch into XP-2 instead of switch 1-2. Is there someone at Fractal we can call? I need someone to talk me through this the first time and then I can pick up myself. Thanks.

The SP1 switch is designed for an XP pedal port, not an XS switch port.

If you use an XP port and follow what I do in the video, does it work then?

It also sounds like your MFC is set to default values and not what I showed in the video. Did you skip the part where I show how to program the CC numbers on the MFC?

Check out my other MFC video about setting up a normal expression pedal first if you don't know how that works.

http://axefxtutorials.com/videos/free-tutorials-and-videos/katsu-kuri-media-videos/

Last edited:
The SP1 switch is designed for an XP pedal port, not an XS switch port.

If you use an XP port and follow what I do in the video, does it work then?

It also sounds like your MFC is set to default values and not what I showed in the video. Did you skip the part where I show how to program the CC numbers on the MFC?

Check out my other MFC video about setting up a normal expression pedal first if you don't know how that works.

http://axefxtutorials.com/videos/free-tutorials-and-videos/katsu-kuri-media-videos/
These video links lead to 404 pages anyone have updated links where I can find these videos?

Back
Top Bottom