Setting up Vol Incr/Decr

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
This was easy to set up on the AFX/MFC with Ext pedals... on the AX8 I'm stumped.

In the I/O menu, I set Vol Incr/Decr to Pedal3 and Pedal4, and set Ext 3 & 4 to None (those were set as the defaults for the pedals). I have Boss FS-5U connected to both Pedal inputs, and they're set to Momentary in the menu. I've checked the pedals, cords, etc and they're fine - they work if I set them up as Ext 3 and 4 to control fx.

What am I missing?

i can initially confirm your findings. i'll report it and look into it a bit more, but it seems pretty straight forward.

Have you tried setting the pedal menus to "continuous?" Since you are using momentary footswitches, setting to "momentary" makes it act like a latching switch. Setting to "continuous" makes it act like a momentary switch.

From the manual:

"When a momentary switch (such as a sustain pedal) is connected, you have two options:
Set TYPE to “CONTINUOUS” if you want the switch to turn on when you press, and off when you release it.ŠŠSet TYPE to “MOMENTARY” and the AX8 will recognize alternate stomps as ON and OFF, creating a “virtual” latching footswitch.ŠŠ"

Daggo

Thanks, but I do want it to be Momentary.

But regardless, that's not really the problem... it's that the AX8 isn't recognizing when I stomp it at all.

I hope this gets resolved, i am a huge fan of Vol Incr/Drec footswitches. I use them live all the time with my AFX II.

Thanks, but I do want it to be Momentary.

But regardless, that's not really the problem... it's that the AX8 isn't recognizing when I stomp it at all.

From my reading of what is in the manual, if you use an external momentary switch, you get it to act like a momentary switch by selecting "continuous" on the AX8. Using the "momentary" setting on the AX8 with an external momentary switch makes it act like a latching switch. The language is confusing, to say the least, but it might be worth giving continuous a try if you haven't already. A latched setting would likely require you to repeatedly step on the switch to hear volume increases and decreases and that might be why you aren't hearing any changes if you depress and hold your pedal.

It will be a long time until I get my AX8, so unfortunately I can't do any testing myself.

I just tried using Continuous, but that didn't work either. That's used more for things like having an effect just be on for the time that you hold the pedal down - for example, you only want a delay on certain notes. I also pulled out my FS-6, which has both Latching and Unlatching modes, and tried each with all three of the options... no go.

I also tried setting the Tuner to Pedal3 and it worked perfectly - so we know that the Pedal3 command does work.

@chris - any updates? Should I also report as a possible bug?

I just tried using Continuous, but that didn't work either. That's used more for things like having an effect just be on for the time that you hold the pedal down - for example, you only want a delay on certain notes. I also pulled out my FS-6, which has both Latching and Unlatching modes, and tried each with all three of the options... no go.

I also tried setting the Tuner to Pedal3 and it worked perfectly - so we know that the Pedal3 command does work.

@chris - any updates? Should I also report as a possible bug?
this bug has been officially reported.

Bump. Any updates on this? It'd be really helpful as I transition into my AX8 if I had the footswitches to help balance my levels.

ps. I also tried controlling it w/ Pedal 1 and 2 but no luck there either.

Bump. Any updates on this? It'd be really helpful as I transition into my AX8 if I had the footswitches to help balance my levels.

ps. I also tried controlling it w/ Pedal 1 and 2 but no luck there either.
nothing has changed just yet. i think once we see the FX8 update people have been waiting for (and hopefully a bit of a break for the devs!) we'll see some AX8 updates. this one is logged though. so just a bit longer :)

Thanks Chris. Hoping they can get to this one quickly.
Maybe they're waiting for Satch's amp to be finished too... :)

Yes, it was fixed in one of the updates, maybe 2.01, I don't remember. It was in the Release Notes at that time.

Sorry I didn't post here but we were discussing it in another thread as well...

Back
Top Bottom