Setting up Mission SP-2 for Wah and Volume

Adinfinitum

Experienced
i'm trying to set up a Mission SP-1 to be a volume pedal and then use the switch to turn on the wah and turn off the volume. I can get the SP-1 to switch between Vol and Wah, but when on Volume, the Wah turns on when toe down. Any ideas.

I'm not using a Vol block because i dont want to add one to 64 x 8 presets. I have the volume mapped to input Vol so i can do swells and violining.

Checked out Chris' video which was helpful except it is for an MFC and Axe-FX.

You have to use a volume block to do what you want. You attach an ext control to control both the volume and wah sweep. Attach another control to control bypass state. Set both bypass states to thru and invert the start end value of one so basically the switch behaves as a toggle between wah and vol make sure preset reset is on and auto engage off

Last edited:
Sorry - i have an SP-2, not SP-1, which should be able to use the built in switch to switch between volume and wah. Does anyone know how to do this?

SP-2 should have two expression outputs. Plug both into the pedal inputs of the AX8 and configure them both as continuous controllers. Don't forget to calibrate both as well. Assign one controller to global input volume and the other to the wah control parameter. For the wah controller, turn on auto-engage and set the off value to 95% to make it turn off at toe down instead of heel down.

Thanks. Will give that a try. Once i do that and save it as a Wah Block, will that work on all presets that have that saved Wah block or do i have to that for each preset?

I believe the controller assignments are stored on a preset level, not a block level, so you'll have to assign the wah controller pedal for each preset. The input volume assignment is global to all presets though. If you plan on using that wah setup in all of your presets, you can make a preset template in Axe Edit and then always start with that setup in place.

SP-2 should have two expression outputs. Plug both into the pedal inputs of the AX8 and configure them both as continuous controllers. Don't forget to calibrate both as well. Assign one controller to global input volume and the other to the wah control parameter. For the wah controller, turn on auto-engage and set the off value to 95% to make it turn off at toe down instead of heel down.

Doesn't the Global input volume affect the amp? I mean like turning down your volume knob on your guitar, therefore changing the drive itself and the sound? This is why I switched to using a volume Block for the volume control.

Is it different on the Ax8? Hmmm...

Yeah it's the same as with the Axe II. Some folks like the volume pedal before the amp and some like it after. I personally use a vol/pan block after the amp block since I prefer to use my guitar volume knob to tweak the input level to the amp on the fly. That way the pedal is strictly for transparent level changes and my guitar volume controls the breakup and tone.

I generally use a Vol pedal first in line to do golume swells. I could use a vol block, but that means adding on the to 64 x 8 presets. I have the vol pedal attached to the guita input. If i need to clean up, then i use the guitar vol knob. The SP2 allows for fual use of the pedal. I just forgot how to set it up. You do need the way on Ext 1 and input vol on Ext 2. For some reason the reverse didnt work for me.

Thanks again for the help.

Yeah it's the same as with the Axe II. Some folks like the volume pedal before the amp and some like it after. I personally use a vol/pan block after the amp block since I prefer to use my guitar volume knob to tweak the input level to the amp on the fly. That way the pedal is strictly for transparent level changes and my guitar volume controls the breakup and tone.
OK...That is what I like also....Thanks for clarifying

I generally use a Vol pedal first in line to do golume swells. I could use a vol block, but that means adding on the to 64 x 8 presets. I have the vol pedal attached to the guita input. If i need to clean up, then i use the guitar vol knob. The SP2 allows for fual use of the pedal. I just forgot how to set it up. You do need the way on Ext 1 and input vol on Ext 2. For some reason the reverse didnt work for me.

Thanks again for the help.
I don't see it works with the pedal controlling input one. I am curios to hear how to you set it up. As for 64x8 unless you are using 64x8 presets then no you don't. You already have to go into the presets you do use and add wah and add modifier to the wah. Adding the vol block is not much more work. Obviously if you get it to work the way you think you will then you don't need the volume block. Looking fwd to hearing your results

Back
Top Bottom