Setting up Foot switches

GuyJames

Inspired
I started setting up my own rig for the first time and got really excited when I figured out how to start assigning the switches to my desired choices however when I went back to scrolling presets It seems that I made global foot switch edits because my layout is staying the same. Refer to the video for clarification.

Awesome, thank you guys. I love reading the manual honestly, so this will be a good learning experience.
Do a backup of the globals+system+fc, then dive into the FC editor in Edit and nose around. A backup is important in case you accidentally change something and need to restore it; Because the layouts are global any changes are immediately written so you will want a safety net. As you begin tinkering make more backups.

I recommend starting with the basic layout for your particular FM9 as that will be more straightforward to figure out, then load the OFM9G layout and study its use of the layouts then the per-presets.

It’s a very powerful system and once you get a feel for it it’s possible to make it be very dynamic, customized for your needs.

The Per Preset is the deal if your looking for individual rigs on the fly! I have wondered why FAS didn't do this for stock presets from the get go.

The Per Preset is the deal if your looking for individual rigs on the fly! I have wondered why FAS didn't do this for stock presets from the get go.
There were a high number of complaints and confusion for the AX8/FX8 having per-preset switches by default, and it is more similar to the MFC having global switches for an easier transition.

Got the preset layout fixed with the factory reset thanks to you guys and this Cooper Carter video

Getting my head around this wonderful unit a little bit more each day.

Do a backup of the globals+system+fc, then dive into the FC editor in Edit and nose around. A backup is important in case you accidentally change something and need to restore it; Because the layouts are global any changes are immediately written so you will want a safety net. As you begin tinkering make more backups.

I recommend starting with the basic layout for your particular FM9 as that will be more straightforward to figure out, then load the OFM9G layout and study its use of the layouts then the per-presets.

It’s a very powerful system and once you get a feel for it it’s possible to make it be very dynamic, customized for your needs.
Thank you for your help! Hey as a quick secondary question related to assigning these footswitches. I understand there is way to make secondary functions on switches. I'd like to add a 3db boost option to each scene I have assigned to the footswitches. Saves me having to use one switch alone for a boost.

GGJames,
The solution is in FM9-Edit in FC Edit. There are two "parts" of a footswitch, a toggle, and a hold. Both do as they sound, one "toggles" or "taps" to perform a specific function, and hold (press and hold) for a determined time performs a separate function.

Either toggle or hold can perform a wealth of functions (see drop-down menus from top of list to bottom) and assign (or keep unassigned) whatever function you need your footswitches to do.

For a 3 dB boost, I'd use a custom switch (located in factory layout 8) or build an external stand-in switch expressly for this purpose. The way to go about it with the external switch is to use a modifier on your amp's input gain toggle (in amp block > ideal), select either pedal 1, 2 or 3, as your input.

Here's how to use external switches with the FM9. I'll let someone more qualified handle this, it takes too long to write, and folks prefer watching videos instead...

GGJames,
The solution is in FM9-Edit in FC Edit. There are two "parts" of a footswitch, a toggle, and a hold. Both do as they sound, one "toggles" or "taps" to perform a specific function, and hold (press and hold) for a determined time performs a separate function.
just to clear things up, there is a Tap action and a Hold action. you can see these terms when you go to edit a switch - one section says Tap, the other says Hold.

there are certain functions that can Toggle things - between 2 Scenes, 2 Channels, etc. this Toggle function can be placed on a Tap or Hold.

just to clear things up, there is a Tap action and a Hold action. you can see these terms when you go to edit a switch - one section says Tap, the other says Hold.

there are certain functions that can Toggle things - between 2 Scenes, 2 Channels, etc. this Toggle function can be placed on a Tap or Hold.
Another Footswitch assigning question...

Last edited:
Another Footswitch assigning question...

You need to use a different control switch. You're using CS4 for the reverb. Use a different CS for the delays.

Another way to do this and use less blocks in your preset is channels. Each block has 4 channels. If you're never going to use the different effects at the same time place you're always on reverb on channel A and the long reverb on Channel B. Set the foot switch to toggle the channels. Do the same for the delays.

You need to use a different control switch. You're using CS4 for the reverb. Use a different CS for the delays.

Another way to do this and use less blocks in your preset is channels. Each block has 4 channels. If you're never going to use the different effects at the same time place you're always on reverb on channel A and the long reverb on Channel B. Set the foot switch to toggle the channels. Do the same for the delays.
I’ll have to wait till Monday to try this but most of this makes sense to me thinking it through. I will definitely delete a reverb block and assign the “big reverb” to just be a channel switch. Thank you for that suggestion, however the delays are still and issue because I don’t think I’ll be able to assign each one to be able to turn the reverb block off. I’m using the multi delay and regular delay block and I don’t think I can assign more than one control switch on a block correct? For example, I’ll set the control multi delay to CS6 and then reverb to CS6 but the “slap delay” will be left out because it would need to be assigned as CS5 and the reverb block it’s turning off as CS5 too. Does this make sense?

I’ll have to wait till Monday to try this but most of this makes sense to me thinking it through. I will definitely delete a reverb block and assign the “big reverb” to just be a channel switch. Thank you for that suggestion, however the delays are still and issue because I don’t think I’ll be able to assign each one to be able to turn the reverb block off. I’m using the multi delay and regular delay block and I don’t think I can assign more than one control switch on a block correct? For example, I’ll set the control multi delay to CS6 and then reverb to CS6 but the “slap delay” will be left out because it would need to be assigned as CS5 and the reverb block it’s turning off as CS5 too. Does this make sense?
The easiest way to do what you want is with a scene. You don't have to change your layout. Go to Per Preset in the editor, pick any switch (There are 24), build your scene and save it. Go back to your main layout and select the switch you want , go to per preset override on the right side of the editor, select the per preset switch where you built the scene. Now the switch on your main layout will do whatever that scene does for only the preset your on. Switch presets and that switch goes back to it's normal assignment.

Edited to be more clear and not trigger unix-guy

Last edited:
The easiest way to do what you want is with a scene. You don't have to change your layout. Go to the "Per Preset" layout, pick any switch (There are 24), build your scene and save it. Go back to your main layout and select the switch you want , go to per preset override on the right side of the editor, select the per preset switch where you built the scene. Now the switch on your main layout will do whatever that scene does for only the preset your on. Switch presets and that switch goes back to it's normal assignment.
There is no need to do anything on the Per Preset layout.

A per preset override simply overrides the switch you apply it to in whatever layout you use.

See method 1 here from the Footswitch Functions Guide:

F24566B5-C7D5-4BCC-B178-B7B468F8E852.jpeg

Did you watch the op’s video?
regardless of the OP video, you don't need to use the Per Preset layout specifically to use an Override. if you're looking for a "blank looking" layout to use, sure Layout 6 default looks blank though their really Per Preset Placeholders.

unix-guy was just clarifying that Overrides don't need to be used on the default Layout 6 to work.

Back
Top Bottom