Setting Up External Tap Tempo?

jholt

Hey guys! I have a Disaster Area micro.clock I'm looking to use for tap tempo with my FM3 as I'm using it with another pedal as well.

Anyone have any detailed instructions on how to set this up? I tried for awhile after reading the manual and surfing through old threads, but there doesn't seem to be exact details for the FM3 and Axe FX III. I eventually got it to read some sort of signal from the micro.clock but the tempos were way off and not matched at all.

If it sends midi beat clock then it should just work. Connect DA Midi out to the FM3 midi in.

However, what version FW do you have on your FM3? There was an issue where using an external midi clock would jump automatically to 250bpm.

Are you using the MIDI cable adapter into the MIDI In jack or using one of the relay/switch outputs to an external switch jack on the FM3?

I was trying using one of the normal tap outputs on the micro.clock into the Pedal 2 input on the FM3. I could try using the Multijack out on the micro.clock to send midi to it if that’s what I need to do. I’m not an expert on this stuff so it’s all a bit confusing to me.
I’m on 1.03 still as 1.04 seems to be having some issues and .04 beta didn’t treat me too well.

Are you using a TS cable or TRS?

What have you done in the FM3 to set it up?

You will need to at a minimum set up the switch jack and then assign the Tap Tempo in some way.

I don't have an FM3 (Axe Fx III and FC-12)... So I can provide specific help.

The Midi option would be the simplest IMO... And leaves your switch jack free for other things.

The web page for the micro.clock mentions some devices may need a TRS cable and a resistor and they don't mention Fractal being supported. Doesn't mean it won't work BUT being that this is not familiar to you it might require finding someone that's already got it working to offer input.

I use a Midi Baby 3 along with two double switches. I'm also using two exp pedals.
I have tap tempo setup on the Midi Baby via midi...so that works if you go that route.
20200624_144916.jpg

So it sounds like I can definitely run midi clock to the midi in if I bought a Midi to TRS cable. Dope.

However, can I just use one of the standard Tap outputs on the micro.clock into Pedal 1 or 2? What settings do I need to change inside the FM3? I feel like I've tried adjusting countless parameters (whatever I can find in the manual) but it doesn't seem to work, whatever I'm doing. I'm just looking for a step by step explanation of what settings to use. There has to be someone out there using a standard (non-midi) tap switch with the FM3 or III, right?

Does anyone know if there is a benefit running midi beat clock vs standard tap? I have an Echosystem that I'm using with the micro.clock as well and can't figure out whether it's better to send midi to it or just a normal tap signal (it accepts both, and it sounds like the FM3 can do both as well?)

I find it pretty hard to believe no one has used a standard tap tempo switch with a III or FM3 :)

I find it pretty hard to believe no one has used a standard tap tempo switch with a III or FM3 :)
This isn't a "standard" tap tempo switch.

A standard switch is just a normally open momentary switch in a box with a jack.

No additional circuitry or components.

But perhaps you can find a video showing how a typical tap tempo is setup and follow it as an example?

Maybe @chris has one?

This isn't a "standard" tap tempo switch.

A standard switch is just a normally open momentary switch in a box with a jack.

No additional circuitry or components.

But perhaps you can find a video showing how a typical tap tempo is setup and follow it as an example?

Maybe @chris has one?
The Disaster Area micro.clock does standard NO/ NC switching on 2 of it's outputs. I only has 1 midi out. If you're saying Fractal units cannot accept standard tap tempo switches in it's Pedal inputs, then that's a different story - and the clarification I'm looking for. But it seems like it can?

I have tried to search all over for an explanation of what settings to adjust in the III or FM3 to setup a standard tap tempo but all I can find is answers about midi.

The Disaster Area micro.clock does standard NO/ NC switching on 2 of it's outputs. I only has 1 midi out. If you're saying Fractal units cannot accept standard tap tempo switches in it's Pedal inputs, then that's a different story - and the clarification I'm looking for. But it seems like it can?

I have tried to search all over for an explanation of what settings to adjust in the III or FM3 to setup a standard tap tempo but all I can find is answers about midi.
The fact that on the website for the product it states that some devices may require TRS and/or a resistor is what raises questions for me. I've never seen any tap tempo switch mention that.

I don't have an FM3 so I can't give you any definitive help (and since I use an FC-12 I really don't have a need for external switches). But, what I think you want to do:

• Connect your switch with a TS cable
  • Configure your external switch jack (in the FM3) for "one switch" and NO (assuming you've set the switch to the same)
  • Configure the External switch as a Stand In switch
  • Configure the Stand In switch function to Tap Tempo

The steps to configure a standi-in switch that @unix-guy posted will work. You can also do this:
  • From the home screen, select Setup, then MIDI/Remote, and navigate to the "Other" page.
  • At the top you'll see Tempo Tap and you can set that to Pedal 1 or 2 on the tip or ring (this assumes you've configured the Pedal input already)

Thanks for helping out @unix-guy @hippietim !

I'm still having a bit trouble make this work and have set all those settings before making this thread except the Stand In Switch part. I didn't even know that was a thing.
Right now:
  • I have the Micro.clock set to NO -> TS cable -> Pedal 2 on the FM3
  • I have I/O -> Pedal tab -> Pedal 2 Setup set to 1 SWITCH (TIP) (I've also tried the other settings to no avail)
  • Midi/Remote -> Other tab -> Tempo Tap set to Pedal 2 (EXP/SW TIP) (also tried pressing Enter to do the Learn mode, but to no avail)
  • Stand-In Switches -> FM3 SW 2 Tip -> Layout set to "Layout 7: PERFORM" -> Switch set to 7: Utility, Tap Tempo

It's still not working at all and have no idea if I'm doing the Stand-In Switch part right. Also, @unix-guy, from my understanding, the TRS cable is only used for a pedal, like the Empress Echosystem I have, to send MIDI back to the Micro.clock.

I'm not sure.

I've only ever configured a stand in switch once just to explore the option (I have an FC-12 so I'm covered on switching options), and that was a dual button switch, so my experience is different.

If you had a generic switch to test with first it might be easier to rule out problems related to the micro.clock.

Any thoughts?

For starters, try using a generic switch as @unix-guy suggested and confirm that you can get that working.

Do you have a continuity tester? If not, buy one. You can get one for 6 bucks on Amazon. They've come in handy for me more times than I could count over the years.

With a continuity tester you can figure out if your Microclock gizmo is doing what you expect - plug a 1/4" cable into it and then hook up the continuity tester to the ring and sleeve. If it beeps right away, it's configured to be normally closed. No beeping right away means it's normally open. Then tap on the footswitch - does it go silent or beep (depending on if it's NO or NC)?

Make sure you're using the right cable - TS vs. TRS. Make sure everything is configured for the right cable type and NO/NC configuration.

@jholt . Did you ever get the Disaster Area Micro.clock (DAMC) to work as a 'standard tap tempo switch'?

I just bought a Micro.clock and got it successfully acting as 'my foot' - tapping in tempo as a standard tempo switch.

When I first got my FM3, I set up a 'moskey style' momentary footswitch as a stand-in for tap tempo. That worked great for the first year I used my FM3 but I realized my band mate would never start the click track early enough for me to tap in the tempo before the band launched into the next song. I looked to the DAMC to "solve" this problem by being able to store tempo presets and have it 'tap' my tempo into the FM3

I got it working perfectly the first evening I set it up. I'm not using MIDI out of the DAMC, just a TS cable as my 'stand-in' tap tempo footswitch.

If you still need some help, I'll post the details of my DAMC configuration later today (when I get home from work).

Back
Top Bottom