Setting up and Using the MFC-101 with the Axe-Fx III

John M

Inspired
With the FX III shipping and the FC controllers not available at this time there may be a number of folks who want to use their MFC-101 with the FX III. Is there any specific info or a video that shows how to connect, program and run the FX III with the MFC-101? Shortly before the FX III was announced I bought the MFC-101 III and connected it to my FX II XL+ via FASLINK and a XLR cable. I didn't go very far in programming the MFC-101 with the XL+ because it appears things will be different with the FC controller. Being a Midi novice doesn't help either in my understanding. So I assume the connection between the FX III and MFC-101 requires a Midi cable because FASLINK and FASLINK II aren't compatible? A video of someone setting up and using the MFC-101 with the FX III would be really great. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

At least for live playing I think most can get away with preset up/down and scene changes. I would be interested in this as well

Yes, an updated version of MFC-Edit would certainly be helpful. With the new front panel interface on the FX III it would nice to see how that can be used to setup and use the MFC-101. Thanks.

I’m trying to gather as much info as I can on this as well. Crossing my fingers and hoping my spot on the Axe Fx III wait list comes up soon. This is what I understand so far.

- Set up the MFC as a regular Midi controller, so the mode is set to None.
- I’ll need to use the power supply that came with the MFC
- I’ll need to use 2 Midi cables, to and from the III, I think? 2 are needed if effect state info is sent back to MFC?
- I have to manually assign numbers to the switches on the MFC, and use the edit software to make it easier.
- The Axe Fx III doesn’t have specific numbers assigned to anything, so I need to set that up in the Axe Fx III before I set up the MFC
- I need to manually name patches on the MFC

I currently don’t use Scenes, just patches and effects. I know this may change once I get familiar with the III. What I don’t understand yet is how the III will communicate effect states back to the MFC when it’s being used as just a regular Midi device. Can it? And is this something I need to set up in the III with the Midi block so it sends that info to the MFC when a patch or scene is selected?

I’m trying to gather as much info as I can on this as well. Crossing my fingers and hoping my spot on the Axe Fx III wait list comes up soon. This is what I understand so far.

- Set up the MFC as a regular Midi controller, so the mode is set to None.
- I’ll need to use the power supply that came with the MFC
- I’ll need to use 2 Midi cables, to and from the III, I think? 2 are needed if effect state info is sent back to MFC?
- I have to manually assign numbers to the switches on the MFC, and use the edit software to make it easier.
- The Axe Fx III doesn’t have specific numbers assigned to anything, so I need to set that up in the Axe Fx III before I set up the MFC
- I need to manually name patches on the MFC

I currently don’t use Scenes, just patches and effects. I know this may change once I get familiar with the III. What I don’t understand yet is how the III will communicate effect states back to the MFC when it’s being used as just a regular Midi device. Can it? And is this something I need to set up in the III with the Midi block so it sends that info to the MFC when a patch or scene is selected?

Also, the III only accepts 5 pin midi cables!:( I really think leaving out phantom power support is a real oversight & somewhat a slap in the face of everyone that has an MFC or any other midi controller that supports phantom power. No one needs all the extra cables & an extension cord running across the stage!

I'm not sure about that one. I don't think they have indicated that there is any two-way communication that can provide the state of the effect, even if you put in a second MIDI cable coming back from the Axe-FX III MIDI out to the MFC MIDI In. I hope that it an option, but I kind of doubt it.

OK, I think I understand. I figured the III wouldn't automatically send block state info back to the MFC, but I didn't know if it could manually be done with the Midi block and lots of configuring per patch.

Does that mean I will run into the same issues I have with older Midi controllers where depending on the state of the switch, I may need to press a switch twice to actually turn a block on or off? I hope I'm explaining that right. I know some of you will understand exactly what I'm saying. I have a Yamaha controller that will toggle between on and off with a switch. If a switch is left where "off" is the next command it will give, and then you switch to a patch where the block is off, you have to hit the switch twice to turn the effect back on, sending "off" the first time it's hit, and then sending "on". Will that be the case with the MFC? Is that something that can be worked around with other controllers, like the RJM Mastermind?

OK, I think I understand. I figured the III wouldn't automatically send block state info back to the MFC, but I didn't know if it could manually be done with the Midi block and lots of configuring per patch.

Does that mean I will run into the same issues I have with older Midi controllers where depending on the state of the switch, I may need to press a switch twice to actually turn a block on or off? I hope I'm explaining that right. I know some of you will understand exactly what I'm saying. I have a Yamaha controller that will toggle between on and off with a switch. If a switch is left where "off" is the next command it will give, and then you switch to a patch where the block is off, you have to hit the switch twice to turn the effect back on, sending "off" the first time it's hit, and then sending "on". Will that be the case with the MFC? Is that something that can be worked around with other controllers, like the RJM Mastermind?
If you are not using scenes you should be ok.

When you setup the MFC "presets" you can store the "initial IA states".

That way when you load a preset they will be correct assuming you set them to match what is in the Axe Fx preset.

That way when you load a preset they will be correct assuming you set them to match what is in the Axe Fx preset.
That makes sense and might work out. I think also, if you limit your presets to using 5 scenes you might be able to use the IA link feature and they will update as well. That is how I do it using the Axe-FX II and changing channels on my amp, so I'm guessing it would be similar on the III. I should know Wednesday night. :)

Got it. I think that makes sense. Having only ever used the MFC in Axe Fx II mode, and set exactly the same way for the past 5+ years, I kinda forgot what it's capable of doing, and other ways it can be set up. Out of site, out of mind, I guess. It will be fun getting this worked out. I'm always running power up to my corner of the stage anyway for my monitor and the LED light I have to read the set lists. So plugging in power for the MFC is no big deal (if I remember where I put the power supply). And I'll just be switching out the ethernet for a Midi cable now, so it's still just running one cable. All I need is an Axe Fx III! I'm at 9:08 EST on the wait list, so I'm really hoping to get the invite this week. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the help!

That makes sense and might work out. I think also, if you limit your presets to using 5 scenes you might be able to use the IA link feature and they will update as well. That is how I do it using the Axe-FX II and changing channels on my amp, so I'm guessing it would be similar on the III. I should know Wednesday night. :)
Yeah, link group will work for 5 scenes BUT individual IA states for your buttons other than presets and scenes won't track.

If you use only presets and scenes and DON'T turn individual effects off and on you'll probably be just fine.

I use 8 scenes, so I am going to try to cross populate a couple scenes between the two link groups.

Like this:

Group A:

1 3 6 4 5

Group B:

1 6 2 7 8

Since 1 and 6 are most often used, by strategic changes I think I'll have it covered.

I should also note, this is all from my general comfort level with midi controllers, the MFC manual and some reading... To date, I've only ever used the MFC in Axe Fx mode:)

But last night I spent a bit of time in MFC-EDIT prepping things, so I think I have a solid starting point.

Cool. That is right on the money @unix-guy. I forgot that my bottom row of 5 scenes is using general I/A mode and the rest of my buttons for individual effects are in Axe-FX mode so they sync when you go to another scene. Oh well... I still think I can get by with the MFC until the FC stuff is available. Band is on a bit of a hiatus for the moment, so I'll only be recording and practicing at home, and for that I sometimes don't even use the MFC at all.

I'm not looking forward to how daunting this will be with the MFC. I won't know until I start trying to program it.

Since I only use 5 scenes, I'll probably just get by with assigning IA's and doing the tap-dance.

Back
Top Bottom