Setting up a single Mission Expression with 2 jacks?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I have a Mission Exp pedal with a wah style button and 2 jacks. I simple want to control Volume in normal mode and Wah when clicked down. I am using both pedal jacks on FM3 and have dual TRS. I assign the Volume no problem. But Wah assigned to jack 2 only goes full rangle of slope from high to low when I press down....zero sweep happening. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure one jack is for expression (TRS) and the other is for the switch (TS).

You aren't switching between the jacks...

The switch jack is used for switching (like on/off) and the expression jack is used for controlling modifiers.

Mission Engineering has actually had both versions. SP-1 and SP-2. The SP-2 has been discontinued. SP-1 works exactly like @unix-guy described. The SP-2 had two expression pedal outputs and using the switch would select which one to use. Back in the AX8 days I ordered a spring loaded SP-2 thinking I could do things like switch between Wah and Whammy but the problem for me in that setup was that the disconnected expression pedal output would always go to 100%. That would be fine if you didn't have a spring loaded one and use toe down as "off". It would also have worked for me if I could set the disconnected expression pedal output to go to 0% but unfortunately there was no setting for that. I had a brief look in the wiring but couldn't figure anything out so I sold the pedal instead.

I'm pretty sure one jack is for expression (TRS) and the other is for the switch (TS).

You aren't switching between the jacks...

The switch jack is used for switching (like on/off) and the expression jack is used for controlling modifiers.
So to be clear. If I bought a single TRS jack'd mission wah, then I could use 1 pedal out of FM3 and be able to use volume, then when pressed down to click button, it turns wah on....correct? Obviously with a single TRS cable between things.

Would I still have another pedal out to use as a stand in switch?

Also does each FM3 pedal out have ability for 2 stand in's like FC6/12? I know the FM9 does not.

So to be clear. If I bought a single TRS jack'd mission wah, then I could use 1 pedal out of FM3 and be able to use volume, then when pressed down to click button, it turns wah on....correct? Obviously with a single TRS cable between things.
You need one TRS cable for the expression pedal rocker function and another TS cable for the expression pedal switch. Depending on how you want to set it up it requires a bit of fiddling. Typically we use auto-engage to enable/disable functions like wah and if you do you can't also use a switch to turn off that block so you would instead need to do things like use the mixer block to switch between different lines - one with the wah block and one with the volume in your case. But if you're happy to have the volume as the default on block and when you want to use the wah you press the switch and when you're done you press it again (so the volume is engaged) you can use the switch to just enable/disable the wah and volume block and it's much simpler.
Would I still have another pedal out to use as a stand in switch?
You could use a TRS split cable and use one switch for the expression pedal switch and one other single button switch.
Also does each FM3 pedal out have ability for 2 stand in's like FC6/12? I know the FM9 does not.
Yes.

Typically we use auto-engage to enable/disable functions like wah and if you do you can't also use a switch to turn off that block so you would instead need to do things like use the mixer block to switch between different lines - one with the wah block and one with the volume in your case.

This is what I do with my Mission expression pedal and it works great. 'default' is that if I rock the treadle it auto-engages the wah. When I want to use it for volume swells, I toggle the toe switch which disables the wah and engages the volume control (using a mixer block, as you note), then I click the toe switch again to toggle back to the wah. My Mission has an LED indicator, so I know that if the light is on it's in 'volume pedal' mode.

I have some presets where I use the Mission for other things (namely, anything where I want to be able to toggle between two functions without lifting my foot off the treadle ...), but if not then the preset always has my standard wah/vol configuration.

This is what I do with my Mission expression pedal and it works great. 'default' is that if I rock the treadle it auto-engages the wah. When I want to use it for volume swells, I toggle the toe switch which disables the wah and engages the volume control (using a mixer block, as you note), then I click the toe switch again to toggle back to the wah. My Mission has an LED indicator, so I know that if the light is on it's in 'volume pedal' mode.

I have some presets where I use the Mission for other things (namely, anything where I want to be able to toggle between two functions without lifting my foot off the treadle ...), but if not then the preset always has my standard wah/vol configuration.
I'm trying to figure out how to do something like this in my situation: I'd like to set up the formant to auto engage, but click the toe switch to engage the wah. I've come close, but so far no cigar. There's not a tremendous amount of tutorials on the mixer block.

I have a Mission Exp pedal with a wah style button and 2 jacks. I simple want to control Volume in normal mode and Wah when clicked down. I am using both pedal jacks on FM3 and have dual TRS. I assign the Volume no problem. But Wah assigned to jack 2 only goes full rangle of slope from high to low when I press down....zero sweep happening. Ideas? Thanks in advance!
I have the mission SP1 and use it exactly as you want. Need 2 TRS cables. Set Bypass modifier on VOLUME and WAH blocks to the toe switch. Set the VOLUME block sweep modifier to the exp pedal, and WAH block sweep to the exp pedal. Set up preset so Volume block is on and WAH is off, so when you hit toe switch they swap

Works perfectly as expected.

Every damn time I hook up the pedal backwards. So make sure they're correct obviously.

If no good, I guess something else in your settings is messed up.

Last edited:
I modified my mission pedal so the switch switches the pot taper to either output. I found a wiring diagram on the internet. As long as toe down is used for wah on/off it works well,

I have the mission SP1 and use it exactly as you want. Need 2 TRS cables. Set Bypass modifier on VOLUME and WAH blocks to the toe switch. Set the VOLUME block sweep modifier to the exp pedal, and WAH block sweep to the exp pedal. Set up preset so Volume block is on and WAH is off, so when you hit toe switch they swap

Works perfectly as expected.

Every damn time I hook up the pedal backwards. So make sure they're correct obviously.

If no good, I guess something else in your settings is messed up.
The SP-1 requires 1 TRS for expression and one TS for switching (probably a TRS will work, too).

The SP-2 requires 2 TRS because it has 2 expression jacks...

I'm trying to figure out how to do something like this in my situation: I'd like to set up the formant to auto engage, but click the toe switch to engage the wah. I've come close, but so far no cigar. There's not a tremendous amount of tutorials on the mixer block.

When you say you want the formant to auto-engage, do you mean you are using the treadle to control the frequency of the formant filter, and you want it to auto-engage when you move the treadle?

If so, you'll need to have 2 wah blocks, one on each of two different rows (for example, formant on row 1 and wah on row 2). Split the input signal into the 2 wah blocks, then add the mixer block. In the mixer block, add the switch as a modifier to 'row 1 gain', and set it to toggle between min and max volume - for example, when the switch is 'on', the gain is at 10, and when the switch is 'off', the gain is at zero. Now do the same for 'row 2 gain', except set it so that when the switch is on the gain is at 0, and when the switch is off the volume is at 10. When you press the switch, the gains for row 1 and 2 should flip flop - one goes from min to max and the other goes from max to min. Set the treadle as a modifier for the frequency of the formant filter, and set it to auto-engage. Also set the treadle as the modifier for the wah frequency.

If your switch is a toggle switch (not momentary), because the Fractal controllers don't detect the state of the switch on start-up the switch state may not match the state of the mixer modifier when you first turn on the device. Accordingly, you may need to toggle it on and off to sync them. I do this every time I startup my FM3, since I have many presets that use this or a similar configuration. That said, after my next gig I plan to swap the switch for a momentary which should solve the issue and also give me the option of having a preset default to one state or the other.

Back
Top Bottom