Setting up 4CM in I/O with settings

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Using my new Mesa TC-50 with Axe Fx II. Read online on how to route, but still confused on the I/O menu with levels and then the 1 & 2 knobs on the front on Axe Fx II and how to run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I always set my out 1 and out 2 knobs to full on the front panel of the axe. Do you have an FX loop block placed in axe edit? What level's in particular in the IO menu are you having trouble with?

I always set my out 1 and out 2 knobs to full on the front panel of the axe. Do you have an FX loop block placed in axe edit? What level's in particular in the IO menu are you having trouble with?

FX Loop is placed in grid. All working, just not sure on I/O levels? 100% for both and 1 & 2 knobs at full up? These are really my only questions. Appreciate the guidance!

I don't have my setting in front of me unfortunately but it's worth checking out this video on the 4CM that's how I got started with it. I hope that helps.

I'm curious, what does the TC-50 sound like with the Axe? I was tempted to check one out. Using a Road King 2 at the moment and sometimes a MKV35.

Last edited:
I don't have my setting in front of me unfortunately but it's worth checking out this video on the 4CM that's how I got started with it. I hope that helps.

I'm curious, what does the TC-50 sound like with the Axe? I was tempted to check one out. Using a Road King 2 at the moment and sometimes a MKV35.

It sounds great! The Mesa TC-50 has great cleans and amazing crunch/modern gain. While I love the amp modeling on the Axe Fx, I personally spend too much time dialing in the sound. With the Mesa it's easy and (for me) everything sits in the live mix better. I can hear myself better and the band also says I'm not as loud.

Something the tube amp just does that gives you the frequencies you want without having to dial out or in all these things to get it "there". In addition it does have a feel that is slightly more organic and more fun to interact with. I can spend more time making music and less tweaking. Each their own....this just is working amazing for me.

In addition I saved all my patches with amp modeling to post 100 patches. So if amp ever goes down, I have a backup that I can easily run direct.

I've read where the output 1 & 2 knobs should be full up. My only question is the input 1 & 2 in the I/O....not sure what I'm doing there? Is setting one lower than other going to mean the effects before the FX Loop will be less pronounced if that is lower than input 2?

Hope this helps

Yes, I've watched this several times. Appreciate the link, but looking for more of a verbal explanation. I see how he has it set up, but not sure why inputs 1 & 2 are different? I mean what is the physical reason for them being different levels?

The input levels are adjustable to optimize SNR (see manual). There's no reason to expect the ideal settings for In 1 & In 2 to be equal in 4CM. In 1 = guitar, In 2 = signal that's gone through your amp's preamp section.

4cm is quite a nice setup. Once your levels are there. I agree too that it can help take down your tweaking time Albeit much better these days. The temptation with the axe to tweak is always there. Still contemplating keeping the AX8 and going 4cm myself. That's a pricey mesa. Are you using the cab clone or mic'ing the amp?

4cm is quite a nice setup. Once your levels are there. I agree too that it can help take down your tweaking time Albeit much better these days. The temptation with the axe to tweak is always there. Still contemplating keeping the AX8 and going 4cm myself. That's a pricey mesa. Are you using the cab clone or mic'ing the amp?

I didn't think the head was priced too bad. $1800. Each their own though in that regard. I have not tried the cab clone yet and will either use it alone or possibly combine with micing amp too.

I didn't think the head was priced too bad. $1800. Each their own though in that regard. I have not tried the cab clone yet and will either use it alone or possibly combine with micing amp too.

That's a great price considering what they cost over here in the UK. £2450 for the head. That's just over $3000.

Yes, I've watched this several times. Appreciate the link, but looking for more of a verbal explanation. I see how he has it set up, but not sure why inputs 1 & 2 are different? I mean what is the physical reason for them being different levels?

The reason is - output 2 goes to the front of your amp. Typically volume changes here don't occur here. Output 1 goes to the efx return of your amp & so this acts like a master volume on a 4CM rig. You don't want to push this section too hard so it's best to keep the Axe knob at about 12pm & adjust to taste

Using my new Mesa TC-50 with Axe Fx II. Read online on how to route, but still confused on the I/O menu with levels and then the 1 & 2 knobs on the front on Axe Fx II and how to run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking but, have you managed to control the TC with the Axe via MIDI?
I just got my TC today, love it, I'm trying to set my AX8 to control it via MIDI but it doesn’t work as it should, it triggers only the last channel I setup in the amp memory so for example if I stored ch 1m than 3m than 2, only 2 will be triggered via the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom