Wish Setting to automatically round block parameters to the nearest whole number

aprilia4life

Bit of a silly wish, but what the hey.

Being the frustratingly pedantic person I am, I have a tendency to round off the numbers for each parameter to the nearest whole number (e.g. Bass set to 6.0 instead of 6.55, Presence set to 7 instead of 7.14). Given the complexity of the AX8/Axe etc. it might be nice to simplify things a bit and have the option to round up/down parameter numbers, so changes are a little less obscure for some dials. In some cases a whole number might be too much, so maybe have the options to have no rounding, rounded to the nearest 0.5/0.25/0.10 or rounded to whole numbers?

Now I know this might cause issues with presets, given the dials are all over the place; to address that issue the setting would only affect changes made after it is activated, so anything already configured would not be changed.

Being the frustratingly pedantic person I am, I have a tendency to round off the numbers for each parameter to the nearest whole number (e.g. Bass set to 6.0 instead of 6.55, Presence set to 7 instead of 7.14). Given the complexity of the AX8/Axe etc. it might be nice to simplify things a bit and have the option to round up/down parameter numbers, so changes are a little less obscure for some dials.

Now I know this might cause issues with presets, given the dials are all over the place; to address that issue the setting would only affect changes made after it is activated, so anything already configured would not be changed.

Use your ears, not your eyes!

You make a good point, but the point of this setting would be to help your ears along by making each turn of the dial more pronounced (3.0 to 4.0 to 5.0), some people may want to just want to lock in a dial and move on. Reducing the options of each dial might help, if you want to get close, but not fussed about being too close. I can never hear the difference between a 5.11 and a 5.23 anyway.

Or hey, it could just be a shit idea :) It was 5am when I wrote it.

For some settings there can be a great deal of difference in the range of a whole number change.

If you want whole numbers, you can use the editor and type them in.

For me, I would be very opposed to this.

I get why you would want this, but it would really just slow you down. Here's why:

Let's say you're tooling down the road, and you turn on the radio. Can't hear it? You turn it up until you can. You set your volume where you like it. You're not even thinking about what "number" it's set at. In fact, there are probably no numbers at all. If there were, you might find 4 is too quiet and 5 is too loud, in which case you'd be glad that no one set arbitrary limits on what numbers you can stop at.

All the parameters are like that. You set them where you like them, and let the box worry about what the numbers are.

Here's an actual conversation I've had:

"Dude, I really like your preset. Where did you set the Gain knob?"

"I set it at 5.28."

"Wow. How did you figure out such a precise number?"

"I just turned it until I liked what I was hearing. Then I looked at the knob, and it said 5.28."

I guess it would be more helpful to the OP to have no numbers displayed at all and instead have an orientation mark on it like the analog counterpart.
Rounding to whole values sacrifices a lot just to please the eye instead of the ears.

Back
Top Bottom