Setting Tap Tempo w/ MFC causes short audio dropout

Paperjace

Experienced
I have a rhythmic delay (dotted 8th? Can't remember) running parallel with the dry signal. Because we play with a live drummer without a metronome, I need to sync up the delays with the tempo. I have do this while I'm playing. There are no breaks or pauses. Whenever I'm playing and hit the tap tempo a couple times to get the tempo matching the drummer, the audio drops out on every press of the button. All of the audio, not just the delay drops out. The dropouts are very short, but I would like to remove them entirely. I did some searching on the forum and saw a couple other posts about it, but there weren't any replies/solutions.

Any ideas?

Sounds like maybe you have the CC for tap tempo also assigned to another block.

Check your CC assignments.

Also, do you have Axe-Edit connected when this happens?

Thanks @unix-guy! Happened regardless if I was connected to Axe-Edit or not. I checked all the MIDI assignments in the I/O menu and it all seemed fine. No duplicate entries.

Looks like the IA Switch on my MFC-101 I'm using for Tap Tempo (IA#16) was sending CC#126 which is for Rotary2 X/Y switch, apparently. Don't have any Rotary blocks on my patch so that's a little odd, but setting the CC value to OFF for IA Switch #16 seemed to work. No more drop-outs!

For any future readers, here is the page in the online manual on how to turn off sending CC messages for a given Instant Access switch. http://archive.axefx.fr/MFC 101/MFC-101-Owners-Manual.pdf#page=33

Default CC# Assignments. I changed CC#126 to OFF.

That shouldn't matter if you're using Axe-FX mode with IA Axe-FX function = Tempo. The general-use CCs isn't sent at all then. Even if it was sent, an XY CC# for a block that's not in the preset shouldn't cause any sort of glitch/dropout.

Is it possible your MFC cable was placed near/parallel to an audio cable before, and got moved?

That shouldn't matter if you're using Axe-FX mode with IA Axe-FX function = Tempo. The general-use CCs isn't sent at all then. Even if it was sent, an XY CC# for a block that's not in the preset shouldn't cause any sort of glitch/dropout.
Yeah, I'm thinking this, also. Can't understand why this would make a difference. I am using the MFC in Axe-FX mode with the functions. I've since turned off MIDI CC messaging on all my IA switches just because. shrug

Is it possible your MFC cable was placed near/parallel to an audio cable before, and got moved?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that having the XLR cable I use to connect the MFC -> FASLink Adaptor -> Axe FX II Mark II will cause interference with an audio cable? I do use two 1/4" instrument cables at home on Output 1 L&R, but I've noticed this issue happening when using one XLR cable for Output 1L (mono) for audio live/rehearsal.

Signal through MIDI cables can interfere with 1/4" audio signals. I'm not sure how much of an issue that is with FASLink or XLR audio. It was a guess since disabling the general-use CC probably didn't change what the MFC was sending.

Back
Top Bottom