Not a Bug Setting "Synth" Type to a "Noise" increases the CPU Load by 20%

moerker

Experienced
Repro: Empty preset, add a "Synth" block, change to either pink or white noise, and CPU increases dramatically. (FW 1.06)

I was wondering why this increases the load that much - from what I know about noise generators, they are not that easy to implement (good), but not so expensive on CPU load.

This used to be a bug on the Axe-Fx III and was fixed back then (2018).

I just got my FM3 yesterday and found similar behaviour. Add nothing but a synth block (no I/O, etc), select white noise, CPU steady at 46%! It uses 12-13% with a totally empty patch!

So, it‘s still a bug on the FM3 then, @yek ?
the engineers would probably have to make this determination. currently on the Axe3, using the White Noise vs Triangle uses more CPU. so it seems more CPU is expected on the FM3. that much more, only the engineers would know.

It just surprises me, given the extraordinary sounds these units can produce in terms of amp, cab and effects modelling, that it uses 12% "doing nothing", and simple things like a sine wave (+8-10%) or white noise (+30%) take so much. May just be one of those things.

Went to make a white noise pad on the FM3 and didn't get so far :p. Good to know it's on the radar.

Back
Top Bottom