Setting input levels?

guitarcal

Inspired
Just curious...on the Axe Fx II, when the input level "tickled" red, that means you were 6db below clipping.

From the manual...
"Adjust according to the level of input source material until “hot” signals “tickle” the red LEDs on the front panel INPUT meters. The red LED lights at -6 dB (below clipping). Some sources may not reach ideal levels but can still be used with no problems."

Does the input level behave the same in the Axe Fx III? Or was it changed to mean if red, you are clipping.

Thanks!

Just curious...on the Axe Fx II, when the input level "tickled" red, that means you were 6db below clipping.

From the manual...
"Adjust according to the level of input source material until “hot” signals “tickle” the red LEDs on the front panel INPUT meters. The red LED lights at -6 dB (below clipping). Some sources may not reach ideal levels but can still be used with no problems."

Does the input level behave the same in the Axe Fx III? Or was it changed to mean if red, you are clipping.

Thanks!

It’s kind of an industry standard for digital gear to enter the red BEFORE clipping since digital clipping is so harsh...has been for decades now. I doubt it will change with the new version as it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to do so...when a digital signal clips, you’ll know it...you won’t need an LED to tell you it’s happening but you will want to gauge how close you are go getting there under your most aggressive playing levels.

It’s kind of an industry standard for digital gear to enter the red BEFORE clipping since digital clipping is so harsh...has been for decades now. I doubt it will change with the new version as it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to do so...when a digital signal clips, you’ll know it...you won’t need an LED to tell you it’s happening but you will want to gauge how close you are go getting there under your most aggressive playing levels.

Makes sense to me!

Back
Top Bottom