Setting Delays on the Axe-Fx III?

The behavior is identical to the Axe-Fx II. You're not understanding something somewhere.

These are the salient points:
1. There is a Global Tempo. You can either tap it in or enter it manually. It is in bpm, i.e. 120 bpm.
2. In appropriate blocks there is a Tempo parameter that sets the subdivision to use. I.e. in the Delay block you can set the Tempo to 1/4 to use a 1/4 note.
3. If you want to set the delay time manually you set that Tempo parameter to None and enter the desired time into the Time parameter.

ok, I think I have all that. But I am still not understanding something. How do I enter, say 326 ms, then have the freedom to then set the subdivision to something different if needed. Therein lies my problem. I 'm sorry I am not getting this. And I do remember I had this problem with the II. SO I would manually tap the temp into the MFC and then I had the ability to change subdivisions when needed.

I sure hope that made sense. Sorry I am not getting this.......

Don’t worry about the displayed delay time when you’re using Tempo. It’s irrelevant. Type in the tempo, enter the subdivision you want, and then listen to what you get. It’ll be just what you entered.

It will? Ok I will try it. I just dont know why on my Axe2 If I have 1/4 notes at 500 and change the subdivision to 1/8 notes, the temp will show 250, but if I try to do that on the Axe3, no matter what I choose as the subdivision, the temp number always defaults back to 561, exactly 561, no matter what I do. I will get in front the unit in the next hour or 2 and work thru what you both have said, so feel free to hold off your responses to my stupidity for a few hours, and let me see if I can get this

thx:)

It will? Ok I will try it. I just dont know why on my Axe2 If I have 1/4 notes at 500 and change the subdivision to 1/8 notes, the temp will show 250, but if I try to do that on the Axe3, no matter what I choose as the subdivision, the temp number always defaults back to 561, exactly 561, no matter what I do. I will get in front the unit in the next hour or 2 and work thru what you both have said, so feel free to hold off your responses to my stupidity for a few hours, and let me see if I can get this

thx:)
That 561 number isn’t the tempo. It’s a delay time measured in milliseconds.

You have two choices with delays. Either you set a fixed delay time — and you’re stuck with that delay time, regardless of the tempo of the song, or you set a tempo and subdivision.

The advantage of the tempo-and-subdivision way is that you can change the tempo on the fly, using Tap Tempo, and have perfectly-timed repeats if the band isn’t playing at exactly the tempo you planned for. The advantage of the fixed delay time is its simplicity; just enter one number, and you’re done.

Just remember that the displayed delay time is not the tempo. There’s a Tempo parameter for that.

Last edited:
...I am still not understanding something. How do I enter, say 326 ms, then have the freedom to then set the subdivision to something different if needed.
You can’t do that. You can’t use a fixed delay time (like 326 ms) and still be able to change tempo. If you think about it, those two things are the opposite of each other.

Subdivisions only make sense if you’re actually using a tempo. So enter a tempo (using the Tempo parameter), enter a subdivision, and you’re set.

That 561 number isn’t the tempo. It’s a delay time measured in milliseconds.

You have two choices with delays. Either you set a fixed delay time — and you’re stuck with that delay time, regardless of the tempo of the song, or you set a tempo and subdivision.

The advantage of the tempo-and-subdivision way is that you can change the tempo on the fly, using Tap Tempo, and have perfectly-timed repeats if the band isn’t playing at exactly the tempo you planned for. The advantage of the fixed delay time is its simplicity; just enter one number, and you’re done.

Just remember that the displayed delay time is not the tempo. There’s a Tempo parameter for that.

Ya sorry, thats what I meant, ms. I am still trying to figure out how I set exactly, say 325 ms, and then have control over subdivisions. Tapping it out and getting it exact in my opinion is impossible. Mostly because I am white and I have no rhythm lol...........

You can’t do that. You can’t use a fixed delay time (like 326 ms) and still be able to change tempo. If you think about it, those two things are the opposite of each other.

Subdivisions only make sense if you’re actually using a tempo. So enter a tempo (using the Tempo parameter), enter a subdivision, and you’re set.

Sorry Rex, forgive me but I dont get what you are saying. I'm staring right at it. you want me to enter a tempo, like 1/4, and then set a subdivision? the subdivisions are the menu items of the tempo parameter...... I'm sorry I dont get it..... Lets just start with

How do I set my Axe3 to be 1/4 notes at 325? the only way I know how is to set the tempo parameter to 1/4 and then miraculously tap out 325 ms, which again in my opinion is an impossibility. I will get close, but never really get it.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated, my learning disability has kicked in.......

So, I brought over 20 presets last night and I honestly dont know how to set up the delay. When I set the temp to none and type in the delay time in ms., when then wanting to use subdivisions, any subdivision, the ms, defaults back to 561ms and grays out. I gotta walk away for awhile, I am just so frustrated. Sorry everyone...

Hang in there. You'll get it. One step at a time.

Let's start at the beginning. Are you using the front panel or Axe-Edit?

axe edit. pic 1 is my Axe 2 469 with 1/4 notes. pic 2 is my Axe3 561 at 1/4 notes. And there no way i can make it 469 for 1/4 notes nor change the subdivision for another part of the song.

Every preset I have created shows 561 ms at 1/4 notes. This is my plight

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.18.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.18.02 PM.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.20.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.20.15 PM.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 18
axe edit. pic 1 is my Axe 2 469 with 1/4 notes. pic 2 is my Axe3 561 at 1/4 notes. And there no way i can make it 469 for 1/4 notes nor change the subdivision for another part of the song.

Every preset I have created shows 561 ms at 1/4 notes. This is my plight
Cool. Step 1 is done. Step 2:

Are you familiar with talking about tempo as Beats Per Minute (BPM)?

So, I brought over 20 presets last night and I honestly dont know how to set up the delay. When I set the temp to none and type in the delay time in ms., when then wanting to use subdivisions, any subdivision, the ms, defaults back to 561ms and grays out. I gotta walk away for awhile, I am just so frustrated. Sorry everyone...

You can't use a specific delay time (say 326), AND subdivisions like 1/4 note. They are two separate ways to set the delay & can't be combined.

i think there's a misunderstanding of what "1/4 notes" actually means in relation to Tempo and Delay repeats.

@rnjscooter - what is the tempo of the song you're playing?

let's say it's 128 bpm - this is actually how fast your band is playing the song.

now you've set your delay subdivisions/repeats to be 1/4 notes - that means if you hit the guitar on 1, the repeat would sound at 2, 3, 4... etc. right?

is that what you actually want? that's the first question that needs to be answered. do you actually want 1/4 note repeats.

let's say you do. ok. well by chance, 128 bpm IS 469ms of delay with 1/4 notes at 128 bpm.

so just set that preset to 128 bpm and bam, your delays will be at 469ms like you want.

--
but now let's say you start with your nice preset at 469ms delay. but the band plays SLOWER - and they end up playing at 107 bpm.

your 469ms delay is no longer on 1/4 notes anymore relative to how fast the band is playing - do you understand that concept? to the Axe it's playing "quarter notes at 128 bpm." but in reality compared to the song itself, it's not 1/4 notes. the Axe can't know how fast you're actually playing.

setting Tempo on the Axe doesn't dictate what in reality is a 1/4 note.

so if you instead set your Tempo to 107 bpm, then your delay WILL be a 1/4 note relative to what the band is doing. does that make sense? and instead of reaching over to the Axe front panel and turning knobs to dial in 107 - well how would you have known that anyway - that's what Tap Tempo is for. you tap along with whatever the band is actually doing, and then your delays will sync up - assuming the 1/4 note or whatever you picked is what you actually want.

--
so the actual question is why do you "need" a 469ms delay? are you using the delay to tell the band how fast to play? "go as fast as my delay repeats"?

if not, you'll probably just end up tapping the tempo in when the band starts, and that 469ms delay will change immediately. does that make sense?

can you answer why you want/need a 469ms delay in this example?

Setting the delay characteristics via subdividing a beat vs. setting a specific millisecond delay time are mutually exclusive concepts.

Try this to get over the hump: Enter the beats per minute (BPM) of the song you're playing as the tempo for the song THEN set the subdivision. This will make the delay sound the way you want.

For example, if you wanted to play U2's 'Bad' you'd enter 102 BPM as the song tempo, then set the subdivision for the delay at a dotted 1/8th.

Directly setting the millisecond delay skips the subdivision and goes straight to telling the delay when to sound.

Best of luck.

Don’t worry about the displayed delay time when you’re using Tempo. It’s irrelevant. Type in the tempo, enter the subdivision you want, and then listen to what you get. It’ll be just what you entered.

ok, so type in the tempo, which isn't the tempo, its the time? Then what you really want me to do is type in the time? And then you want me to enter the subdivision, which is the temp parameter? I think you can see my confusion here, we are call time tempo and we are calling temp subdivisions.

So all this has me second guessing every time in ms in every preset of my Axe2. Because if the displayed time is irrelevant in the3 then it has to be irrelevant in the 2, in which case I am just chasing my tail.

I just feel like I am wasting your time and kindness on this......

So, now I am REALLY confused

my Axe 2 in Axe edit is 469 ms 1/4 notes, on the panel its 128 bpm
my axe 3 in Axe edit is 561 ms 1/4 notes like ALWAYS, and on the panel its 107 bpm

oye..............

So I said well heck then I'll set the bpm to 128, which I did, and I saved it. and nothing changes in Axe edit. its still and always will be 561. How can this possibly be? This is just not the case in my Axe2, ever song has a differ ms value...........

I have to go take my daughter to the dentist but thanks for your time on this Rex. I appreciate it

i think there's a misunderstanding of what "1/4 notes" actually means in relation to Tempo and Delay repeats.

@rnjscooter - what is the tempo of the song you're playing?

let's say it's 128 bpm - this is actually how fast your band is playing the song.

now you've set your delay subdivisions/repeats to be 1/4 notes - that means if you hit the guitar on 1, the repeat would sound at 2, 3, 4... etc. right?

is that what you actually want? that's the first question that needs to be answered. do you actually want 1/4 note repeats.

let's say you do. ok. well by chance, 128 bpm IS 469ms of delay with 1/4 notes at 128 bpm.

so just set that preset to 128 bpm and bam, your delays will be at 469ms like you want.

--
but now let's say you start with your nice preset at 469ms delay. but the band plays SLOWER - and they end up playing at 107 bpm.

your 469ms delay is no longer on 1/4 notes anymore relative to how fast the band is playing - do you understand that concept? to the Axe it's playing "quarter notes at 128 bpm." but in reality compared to the song itself, it's not 1/4 notes. the Axe can't know how fast you're actually playing.

setting Tempo on the Axe doesn't dictate what in reality is a 1/4 note.

so if you instead set your Tempo to 107 bpm, then your delay WILL be a 1/4 note relative to what the band is doing. does that make sense? and instead of reaching over to the Axe front panel and turning knobs to dial in 107 - well how would you have known that anyway - that's what Tap Tempo is for. you tap along with whatever the band is actually doing, and then your delays will sync up - assuming the 1/4 note or whatever you picked is what you actually want.

--
so the actual question is why do you "need" a 469ms delay? are you using the delay to tell the band how fast to play? "go as fast as my delay repeats"?

if not, you'll probably just end up tapping the tempo in when the band starts, and that 469ms delay will change immediately. does that make sense?

can you answer why you want/need a 469ms delay in this example?

Hi Chris, I have to go and will be gone several hours. I just wanted to say thanks for your long email.

I am fine doing everything you just said, I just dont know why for the rest of my life, no matter what I set the temp to on the Axe3 the time window in Axe edit will forever say 561. It seems mathematically impossible....

I'll check back later

thanks Chris, sorry for my frustration. I hate my brain sometimes.............

Setting the delay characteristics via subdividing a beat vs. setting a specific millisecond delay time are mutually exclusive concepts.

Try this to get over the hump: Enter the beats per minute (BPM) of the song you're playing as the tempo for the song THEN set the subdivision. This will make the delay sound the way you want.

For example, if you wanted to play U2's 'Bad' you'd enter 102 BPM as the song tempo, then set the subdivision for the delay at a dotted 1/8th.

Directly setting the millisecond delay skips the subdivision and goes straight to telling the delay when to sound.

Best of luck.

Ya I am over that hump I guess. I just wont sleep tonight if I int just why the Milliseconds never ever change in any of my presets......

Hi Chris, I have to go and will be gone several hours. I just wanted to say thanks for your long email.

I am fine doing everything you just said, I just dont know why for the rest of my life, no matter what I set the temp to on the Axe3 the time window in Axe edit will forever say 561. It seems mathematically impossible....

I'll check back later

thanks Chris, sorry for my frustration. I hate my brain sometimes.............
when you return, please answer the question i had at the end of the post. it's very crucial to understanding this concept.

561ms is a 1/4 note delay at the tempo of 107 - that's why it says 561, because the tempo is 107.

You can't use a specific delay time (say 326), AND subdivisions like 1/4 note. They are two separate ways to set the delay & can't be combined.

Thanks for your reply. Ya I guess I will have to study as to what they are...... the senate ways I mean........

and nothing changes in Axe edit. its still and always will be 561. How can this possibly be? This is just not the case in my Axe2, ever song has a differ ms value...........
this is a bug with Axe-Edit - it simply doesn't change what displays there until you click off the block then back on.

the delay and tempo is actually changing. check the hardware.

when you return, please answer the question i had at the end of the post. it's very crucial to understanding this concept.

561ms is a 1/4 note delay at the tempo of 107 - that's why it says 561, because the tempo is 107.

I get that, thanks Chris. What I dont get is why its also 561 at a tempo of 128.

Ok Ok Ok....... So I just did this....... I saved the preset, left the preset and then came back to the preset. When I came back it was no longer 561ms, which is impossible, but 469, which its supposed to be at 128. So I am still crazy just not as crazy as I thought. I was ready to be committed....... SO is this a bug? that the milliseconds dont change in correspondence to the temp until you save exit the preset and come back to it?

Back
Top Bottom