Setting Delays on the Axe-Fx III?

rnjscooter

Power User
Hey everyone, I am going thru all my presets and mirroring them with my Axe2 before I put the 2 up for sale.

I have an issue figuring out how to match delay times from my old presets. I dont have a tap temp button, and the only way to set a delay time. For instance

Looking at Axe Edit, my delay time is currently 561ms with temp menu on 1/4 notes, but the preset on my Axe 2 calls for 500ms with 1/4 notes. The only way I can manually change the ms window number is for tempo (the 79 options of rhythms) to be off, then I can manually change the ms. But then as soon as I pick 1/4 or 1/8 or dot1/4 or whatever from the temp menu, the ms goes back to 561ms and is greyed out. On my Axe 2 the ms window is not greyed out.

I'm stuck..............

Hey everyone, I am going thru all my presets and mirroring them with my Axe2 before I put the 2 up for sale.

I have an issue figuring out how to match delay times from my old presets. I dont have a tap temp button, and the only way to set a delay time. For instance

Looking at Axe Edit, my delay time is currently 561ms with temp menu on 1/4 notes, but the preset on my Axe 2 calls for 500ms with 1/4 notes. The only way I can manually change the ms window number is for tempo (the 79 options of rhythms) to be off, then I can manually change the ms. But then as soon as I pick 1/4 or 1/8 or dot1/4 or whatever from the temp menu, the ms goes back to 561ms and is greyed out. On my Axe 2 the ms window is not greyed out.

I'm stuck..............
I noticed the same behavior. I thought I was doing something wrong.

if TEMPO is set to something, you can't change the TIME parameter - this is not different. Tempo dictates the time if it's used.

it seems like you want to have a particular delay time for when you load the preset, but also have the ability to Tap Tempo to change it during the gig. if you didn't want the Tap ability, this would be much more simple - just set Tempo to NONE and set the Time to whatever you want. but because you want the Tap to be there, changing Tempo back to your 1/4 value just makes it immediately use whatever tempo you're currently using.

so first, you need to press the TEMPO button on the Axe3 front panel and make sure it's set to Preset Tempo, and not Global Tempo. then change the Tempo on that screen to match the tempo of the Axe2 preset - or really whatever Tap Tempo value gets you the delay result you want. then save the Preset.

again, it's because you have a TEMPO value in the delay block that you can't adjust the Time. that's how it works on basically any delay from any company.

if TEMPO is set to something, you can't change the TIME parameter - this is not different. Tempo dictates the time if it's used.

it seems like you want to have a particular delay time for when you load the preset, but also have the ability to Tap Tempo to change it during the gig. if you didn't want the Tap ability, this would be much more simple - just set Tempo to NONE and set the Time to whatever you want. but because you want the Tap to be there, changing Tempo back to your 1/4 value just makes it immediately use whatever tempo you're currently using.

so first, you need to press the TEMPO button on the Axe3 front panel and make sure it's set to Preset Tempo, and not Global Tempo. then change the Tempo on that screen to match the tempo of the Axe2 preset - or really whatever Tap Tempo value gets you the delay result you want. then save the Preset.

again, it's because you have a TEMPO value in the delay block that you can't adjust the Time. that's how it works on basically any delay from any company.

Hey Chris thanks for the detailed explanation. Ya, I guess that makes sense. I am trying to think back to my Axe 2 when originally making the preset I would hit the tap tempo button with my foot a bunch of times, and I guess, ya, those would be 1/4 notes. I appreciate your time, as always Chris!

Understood. It would be useful if there was another way to set tempo other than through the tap function though.
Set TEMPO to NONE and set the TIME directly. or directly set the tempo of the song.

can you give an example how you would otherwise set the delay tempo?

Set TEMPO to NONE and set the TIME directly. or directly set the tempo of the song.

You would enter the value in the tempo box. As was stated earlier the time box was grayed out and a value could not be entered on the time/fb page of the delay block. You dont have to get condescending.

Last edited:
You would enter the value in the tempo box. As was stated earlier the time box was grayed out and a value could not be entered on the time/fb page of the delay block. You dont have to get condescending.
i was not being condescending at all. i asked a question to see if you had another idea in mind.

I guess w/my Axe 2 I would tap temp on the MFC, then I would occasionally decide like "Oh I need 1/8, or Dotted 1/8", I would simply go to that in the temp menu because I had already tapped it in when I had originally created the preset on the Axe2. So I am cool with setting it to none and manually typing in the tempo, but if I then wanna select dotted 1/8ths or something, I dont have the ability to do that. At least at the moment, because I havent figured out how on the Axe3.

Thanks for all your input Chris!

I guess w/my Axe 2 I would tap temp on the MFC, then I would occasionally decide like "Oh I need 1/8, or Dotted 1/8", I would simply go to that in the temp menu because I had already tapped it in when I had originally created the preset on the Axe2.
i'm not understanding - you can do that on the 3 as well. Tap Tempo just sets the tempo during performance without having to go to the Tempo menu and setting it there.

can you re-share a quick summary of the original issue?

I guess w/my Axe 2 I would tap temp on the MFC, then I would occasionally decide like "Oh I need 1/8, or Dotted 1/8", I would simply go to that in the temp menu because I had already tapped it in when I had originally created the preset on the Axe2. So I am cool with setting it to none and manually typing in the tempo, but if I then wanna select dotted 1/8ths or something, I dont have the ability to do that. At least at the moment, because I havent figured out how on the Axe3.

this doesn't make sense. the tempo, or bpm, of the song....is a totally different thing from the subdivision of the repeats.

It's exactly the same on the III. Tap in your tempo. Got to whatever block that you want to configure, i.e. Delay, find the Tempo parameter and dial in the desired subdivision.

It's exactly the same on the III. Tap in your tempo. Got to whatever block that you want to configure, i.e. Delay, find the Tempo parameter and dial in the desired subdivision.

Ok, forgive my stupidity, I did a LOT of drugs in the 80's:confused: That's exactly what I want to do, I guess I didn't know how to "tap in" my tempo if I don't have an FC. And then I decided to break out the manual for the umpteenth time. I had NO idea you could tap the tempo button on the front panelo_O. I just wanted to get it exact and thus just type it in and then change the subdivisions as needed. SO unless I am wrong you can NOT do that. But I'm good, I get it it now:cool: Thanks for putting up with me!!!!!!!!

I had NO idea you could tap the tempo button on the front panelo_O. I just wanted to get it exact and thus just type it in and then change the subdivisions as needed. SO unless I am wrong you can NOT do that.
You can do that. You can dial in the exact tempo in BPM on the front panel. Or you can tap it in. And you can type in the exact tempo in Axe-Edit III. Or you can tap it in there.

You can do that. You can dial in the exact tempo in BPM on the front panel. Or you can tap it in. And you can type in the exact tempo in Axe-Edit III. Or you can tap it in there.

Hi Rex, that would take me full circle to my very first post. When I type in the exact tempo in Axe Edit, the subdivisions has to be set to None. As soon as I pick a subdivision after the tempo has been established, the temp number returns to 561, no matter what subdivision I pick. On my Axe2 I can pick subdivisions all day and watch the actual tempo number change. This is my original issue:confused:

Hi Rex, that would take me full circle to my very first post. When I type in the exact tempo in Axe Edit, the subdivisions has to be set to None. As soon as I pick a subdivision after the tempo has been established, the temp number returns to 561, no matter what subdivision I pick. On my Axe2 I can pick subdivisions all day and watch the actual tempo number change. This is my original issue:confused:

The behavior is identical to the Axe-Fx II. You're not understanding something somewhere.

These are the salient points:
1. There is a Global Tempo. You can either tap it in or enter it manually. It is in bpm, i.e. 120 bpm.
2. In appropriate blocks there is a Tempo parameter that sets the subdivision to use. I.e. in the Delay block you can set the Tempo to 1/4 to use a 1/4 note.
3. If you want to set the delay time manually you set that Tempo parameter to None and enter the desired time into the Time parameter.

Don’t worry about the displayed delay time when you’re using Tempo. It’s irrelevant. Type in the tempo, enter the subdivision you want, and then listen to what you get. It’ll be just what you entered.

Back
Top Bottom