Setting db levels?

MattJR

Hey guys, I'm reading through the manual as much as possible before my AX8 arrives and one thing that I'm seeing in there and elsewhere on the forums is setting up certain db levels for certain situations? What exactly does this entail and are there certain considerations I NEED to be making depending what gear or venue I'm playing at? Not sure if it helps but I'm considering buying a Mackie HD1221 or HD1521 for amplification. Please forgive my very limited understanding haha, I'm just very new to these kinds of setups. Any insight would be great, thanks!

no idea what this means. can you explain or link to the sources?

Sorry yeah I was worried I wasn't clear enough haha. A quick example I can find is on page 17 of the ax8 manual where it talks about input 1 and output 1 levels. A sentence from there is "If and ONLY if you are connecting to consumer-grade equipment operating at -10dbV...Turn E/NAV to select MAIN OUT NOMINAL LEVEL and change this setting to "-10dbV". I just wanted to know what kind of situations can arise when you have to make changes like this. I've also read in forums about people.

I can't link because I'm a new member, but there's a thread on here titled "Line level 1/4" output?" and also on the fractal wiki talking about the AX8 connections and levels. I'm just looking for a quick explanation of what this all means and how it may affect my use of the unit. There is probably something fundamental that I am just missing or not understanding. I'm probably reading too much into it and not understanding any of it haha. Thanks

Oh you probably don't need to ever adjust that. You can just turn the Output knob up or down to adjust to what you need. I start with the AX8 Out knob at about 10 o clock or so. Then I adjust the speaker or amp or mixer for the loudness I need at the time.

A sentence from there is "If and ONLY if you are connecting to consumer-grade equipment operating at -10dbV...Turn E/NAV to select MAIN OUT NOMINAL LEVEL and change this setting to "-10dbV".
Are you hooking up to consumer-grade audio equipment (home stereos and such)? If so, make the change. If not, don't. :)

Mackie or any pro audio brand powered speaker, mixer, or amp input will have inputs that are designed to use the +4dbV out setting of the AX8.

Congrats on the new purchase and good job by studying the manual before you get your AX8. Now when you get your unit and your locked away you can quickly find answers to some of the questions that will certainly come up without having even a short wait from the forum!

Back
Top Bottom