Setlists: Faster than a Sharpie & paper!

Great stuff as usual CC! Users keep in mind that you will need to be using the 19.06 Beta firmware version and will ALSO need to update the latest Axe Edit 1.11.0 (if using that as opposed to front panel) in order to work with this new feature!! Cool feature and I am already building my empire conquering set lists with it!!!

Well that was painfully obvious even by my standards. Unfortunately the page won't open...don't know if that's a temporary thing or not. I'll keep checking back. Thanks, Cooper.

Wow, hadn’t had a chance to check out this new feature yet. This is killer. Huge improvement.

I have finally sat down to play with the new setlist/songlist function and here is what I have found so far!

1. I have found that I can get the bulk work done of importing songs by editing the XML file that you get when you export, and then importing it back in. I usually use Notepad++ for complex Search & Replace, but considering these were pretty easy, it can be done in almost any text editor that has S&R capabilities and I used Dreamweaver. I was able to do search and replace on the Section Names, preset number, scene number etc., which gave me a fully populated list of 128 songs which had my default preset and scenes therein, inserted. I have about a dozen songs that I will have different presets for, but the other 40+ songs all use one preset and its various scenes (with an occasional effect thrown in), so rather than putting each song in and then clicking on each song section for preset, scene and name of section, I was able to get them all populated in a minute or two by searching and replacing in the XML and then importing it to Axe! I will most likely write some script or a spreadsheet macro to automate this process down the road a bit, so that I can take my list of songs in a spreadsheet when modified and output a XML file with this formatting and structure to import into the Axe FX. Would be great if I could just throw a CSV or XLS with structured columns and rows and the Axe Edit pulls it in to proper setlist/songlist fields, but that is not here now so a workaround will have to be implemented for easing this import/export/modification process.

2. The P# in the "Song Sections" area and the S# are not in sync (P# is zero based in machine, but 1 based in the XML, S# is 1 based in both machine and XML). So in the XML (that you get from exporting a song list) I have the following structure for a song:

<Song id="0" name="Bad Moon R">
<Section name="INTRO" preset="992" scene="5"/>
<Section name="VERSE" preset="992" scene="6"/>
<Section name="CHORUS" preset="992" scene="7"/>
<Section name="BRIDGE" preset="992" scene="8"/>
<Section name="OUTRO" preset="992" scene="5"/>
<Section name="LEAD" preset="992" scene="4"/>
</Song>

The preset in the example above I actually want is 991, but if I put that in the XML file, it pulls up preset 990 once imported because that number in the machine is a 0 based number (zero is first number, not 1) so preset 991 (zero base adjusted) in your machine is preset 992 in the XML. But with the scenes, 1=1, so there you put the actual scene number, not your scene number +1 in the XML scene="".

3. If you get an import error saying "0 files will be overwritten", there is most likely a flaw in the XML document (something in the content that is not supported)! In my testing, it seems that the "&" symbol in song/scene names can cause this but the "@" symbol does NOT cause this. It would be great to have a list of special characters that are/not allowed in these name fields so that I can avoid them when editing my XML outside of the system.

4. It seems that the XML document will allow more than 10 characters in the fields and that will NOT affect the import process of that XML, however the display of those characters >10 will be getting chopped off in views and other scenarios as the display systems are only set to support 10 characters for display. In addition, based on comments made about the allocated space for this information being very minimal, it could poach on some system limits, but I have not tested that far.

Overall, this is a dream for me as I was always running a spreadsheet on my laptop for my setlist, and did not want to create special presets per song, now I can ditch that spreadsheet (although I was also rating the performance each time I did a song via that spreadsheet, so I will need to figure out a new way to keep track of my ratings). Saves me a lot of time and will save me even more in the long run!! Thanks again to the team for giving us this fantastic new feature, LOVIN' IT!!!

Last edited:
Awesome Cooper! Do you know if and when this feature comes to the FM9 if it will work with an FC-12 hooked to it?I have my Axe-FxIII in the studio now and am using the FM9 for live use and my guitar tech switches settings from the side of the stage with the FM9 while I have the FC-12 out front just in case I need it. I didn't think I would use the setlist feature but now I think it would be really great!

As always, your videos illustrate these new features and their practical applications in an intuitive way and where the benefits are clearly apparent. I get 'ah-ha' moments seeing new features detailed in your clips that I'm not seeing immediately at times. The "Scene Ignore" video was similarly enlightening.

I also love that your content gets to the heart of the matter quickly, concisely, and are only as long as they need to be.

Great stuff as usual....!

Awesome Cooper! Do you know if and when this feature comes to the FM9 if it will work with an FC-12 hooked to it?I have my Axe-FxIII in the studio now and am using the FM9 for live use and my guitar tech switches settings from the side of the stage with the FM9 while I have the FC-12 out front just in case I need it. I didn't think I would use the setlist feature but now I think it would be really great!
It's expected for both FM9 and FM3.

I imagine it will work the same way on all 3 devices.

Remember, the FCs are just dumb controllers and the brains are in the units.

Set list controls are just switch assignments, and any FM, FC or external switch (acting as stand-in) can control any function.

It's expected for both FM9 and FM3.

I imagine it will work the same way on all 3 devices.

Remember, the FCs are just dumb controllers and the brains are in the units.

Set list controls are just switch assignments, and any FM, FC or external switch (acting as stand-in) can control any function.
Sofar it seems like I do not know how to or cannot realise setlist controls from stand-in switches. I must be doing something wrong

ADDED : finally managed, forgot one has to affect switches of any view in any layout and then affect that switches to the stand-in switches...question closed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom