SetList (Lack Of) Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

quark

Experienced
I know the lack of a setlist utility is an old issue but I just wanted to give an example of how frustrating it is not to have one.

I've sorted all of my presets into folders for particular genres of music. When I am working on a new song, I will scan through these genre specific folders to find the preset and scenes that works best for that tune.

It would be great if I could just create and load a setlist for that genre and then use the FC-12 to simply toe tap my way through all the candidate presets and scenes to find what works best without ever having to take my hands off the guitar.

Without the setlist function, I need to stop playing and manually search through all of my 512 presets to select the next preset I want to check out and then stop playing again to select different scenes for that preset. I could improve this a bit by using "manage presets" to load an entire genre specific folder but I still have to stop playing to select the next preset or scene.

This crude way of developing a tune is very frustrating given the fact that I own the world's most powerful processor and controller (IMO) but can't use them efficiently when I'm developing a tune because a very basic function like a setlist utility is not available.

The point is a setlist function is not just for gigs but has lots of other day to day uses and I hope that after so many years and so many requests, fractal will consider raising this issue higher on its priority list.

Thanks for listening, Fractal.

My current approach to this is to create a dedicated preset (with scenes) for each song, and copy the presets in set list order, into a blank block. It's not ideal, but at least makes it easier to get through a night. Set list management is my #1 request for Fractal.

My current approach to this is to create a dedicated preset (with scenes) for each song, and copy the presets in set list order, into a blank block. It's not ideal, but at least makes it easier to get through a night. Set list management is my #1 request for Fractal.
This is my approach too.....I'm guessing you mean blank bank?

It's a fairly decent approach but I can completely see the need for a set list function if you're playing in different bands/groups and wanna manage things better

This is my approach too.....I'm guessing you mean blank bank?

It's a fairly decent approach but I can completely see the need for a set list function if you're playing in different bands/groups and wanna manage things better
Yes, I mean a block of empty preset locations. It's a pretty primitive solution, but works enough to get me through gigs. Last weekend I had four gigs with same band, in 2 nights. Naturally, each gig had a different set list. That meant I had to make multiple copies of each preset, to arrange them in the appropriate order.

Totally agree when it comes to putting together a working setlist for a gig. You can also use the midi-mapping function to set that up without having to move presets into an empty bank.

What I'm talking about is the process of auditioning presets for a particular tune that you eventually want to include in your final gigging setlist.

Say one of your tunes for the night is a funk tune. You can load up a pre-composed setlist of all the presets that you've liked in the past for funk tunes, play your tune and then toe tap your way through this funk preset/scene setlist and until you find what you like for that particular tune - without ever having to put your guitar down and stopping the flow to click on the next funk preset/scene you want to consider for this tune in your final gigging setlist. Once you find it, it ends up in your final gigging setlist.

If you have a blues tune you want to play in the gig, you can load up your pre-composed setlist of blues presets/scenes and toe tap to see what works best for this particular blues tune. Once you find it, it also ends up in your final gigging setlist.

But no matter how you use it, a setlist function is essential and AWOL!

If you’re in multiple bands with frequently changing set lists, it can become quite a chore.
This x1000. Our set lists change every show. I use one preset per song and it's a pain in the ass to have to hook up my computer to the Axe-Fx each time I need to shuffle the presets around.

Right now I have the factory presets in banks B through D. I've not had time to go through them all and decide which ones to keep on the unit, so for now, all of those slots are taken. So I just have bank A to keep my alphabetical list of about 50 master presets, and the remaining slots are my "spare room" in which to set up presets into set list order. It's a total goat rope to try to keep organized and cleaned up.

The lack of set list functionality is my #1 gripe about the Axe-Fx III because it affects me for every single show.

I get it. My work around is as mentioned - either copying or moving the presets for the set list into a group of otherwise empty slots. Then I edit the my fc6 bank setting limiting the upper and lower range so it’s confined to that group of presets. That way I can scroll up and down but it’s confined to 20-25 presets for the night. But I don’t find keeping my laptop handy as big a pain as others.

This does not even fall into the category of '1st world problem'. So far beyond that.

You have several bands. Buy a few more units. And there are options about saving banks.

I'm a little aghast that you have 350+ presets and it's too much work to arrange several setlist (do you have 50 song setlists? Or play for 23 bands?). I don't understand how FAS could help you here if it changes constantly?

Not sure setlist is going to do you any good if it changes 20 minutes before a gig. Easy enough to fix it then. I would figure it would be best to keep a static list, and punch it in at the time. Just keep track of the number of the preset.

IMO

This does not even fall into the category of '1st world problem'. So far beyond that.

You have several bands. Buy a few more units. And there are options about saving banks.

I'm a little aghast that you have 350+ presets and it's too much work to arrange several setlist (do you have 50 song setlists? Or play for 23 bands?). I don't understand how FAS could help you here if it changes constantly?

Not sure setlist is going to do you any good if it changes 20 minutes before a gig. Easy enough to fix it then. I would figure it would be best to keep a static list, and punch it in at the time. Just keep track of the number of the preset.

IMO
I had 50 song gigs (2 sets per night per gig) at a time when I played in 5 regularly gigging bands, from rock to jazz to what we call 'crossover'.

Those days are years behind me and with the pandemic I don't see it coming back soon.

I'd appreciate this feature if I WAS gigging like that again. If it doesn't affect you in your situation doesn't mean it's not a good request

I see it being helpful that you can create multiple setlists without having to reorganize presets constantly, and you can always pull up your setlist, gig it and play in your other band the next night with a different setlist, even though some songs might be the same. Try to do that with jumping around and juggling presets every night and it DOES become a bit of a pain. Makes it much worse when you go from song into another song or do medleys etc. The groups where I did 50 song sets was like that, sometimes we'd play a bit of this song and a bit of another song to keep people dancing and the energy high

Just to be clear, the OP isn't asking for more presets, he's asking for a way to manage those presets in a way that he can use night after night.
He doesn't want to have to reorganize presets, he wants those presets in a fixed location (as is currently), but a setlist feature to pull up those preset locations in whatever order so he doesn't have to mix them up constantly

A very valid request if you ask me, and I can see this being very helpful to all involved. Don't knock it till ya tried it

You have several bands. Buy a few more units.
Erm.... I hardly think that's a suitable (or reasonable) response to a valid request.

I agree that while it may not be as pressing as other requests, I don't think it's acceptable to respond by saying that - in essence - the customer hasn't paid enough to have that feature. Just seems rather arrogant?

RJM was offered as a great solution. I use one too and it suggest it. I believe the other person who suggested to purchase another unit wasn't arrogant. Do you only own one guitar? These units are inexpensive. Your in more then one band, having an extra unit isn't actually a bad idea. If the bands are not providing enough income to pay for your equipment, consider supplemental income.

Keeping multiple Axe IIIs synced up but with their presets in different orders would be a nightmare, not to mention expensive. The GT22 is $1900.

If setlist functionality isn't important to you personally, fine, but it is for some people, in some pretty common situations, and neither of those are great solutions.
GT 22 isn't necessary for setlists. The PBC works for setlists too and is far less expensive. Though if the GT is desired, the 22, the largest of all the GT's isn't necessary. If you're happy with 12 switches from FAS which easily controls functions on the unit, is a 22 button pedal necessary?

I'm not here to argue...how much are guitars being purchased for these days? How many multiple guitars do many have? Aren't other components important?

Good luck to the original OP. I think there are solutions that have been offered that can address original concerns. The amount of effort and support that continues is amazing regarding AFIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom