SetList (Lack Of) Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many set lists do people need? 5, 10, 100, more?

How many presets per set do people need?

How do you envision the workflow?

Do you need to share the set list data from one Axe to another?

Do setlists need to transfer between Axe3 and FM3?

Do setlists need to be in the Home menu?

Do setlists need to include Scene changes from the same preset?

Do setlists need to have other controls in addition to Up and Down?

Do setlist controls need to be adjustable via MIDI?

Do setslists need to have copy/paste and swap functionality on the hardware?

If you reorganize your preset locations, do Setlists need to automatically update?

Do setlists ignore custom preset mapping?

Do setlists need a “preset view” layout that functions like the current Preset view on hardware?

Do setlists need their own new controls for the FCs?

Do you need to be able to choose a preset not included in a setlist?
It's a linked list of presets. Fractal already uses linked lists for other features. Let's not make more of it than need be. How many? 0-99 sounds good. Add a feature to Axe-Edit to create and organize, and a set list layout for the FC's. Not all that different from AFX2 - if anything, easier. If something happens outside the scope of a set list you change your layout and grab what you need.

"SET/SONG/SECTION is on the to do list for the FC Controllers"

Intriguing ... anyone have any thoughts/speculations about what Song and Section might refer to?

I could imagine that Song might refer to a collection of presets that you could call up as a group for a particular Song but Section remains a mystery.

"SET/SONG/SECTION is on the to do list for the FC Controllers"

Intriguing ... anyone have any thoughts/speculations about what Song and Section might refer to?

I could imagine that Song might refer to a collection of presets that you could call up as a group for a particular Song but Section remains a mystery.
I'm guessing that a Song would be comprised of 1 or more Sections.

A Section would be a preset + scene combination.

So, you could easily "map" all the sounds needed for a song and step thru them in sequence.

Just my speculation...

"I could imagine that Song might refer to a collection of presets that you could call up as a group for a particular Song"

That's right.

Dunno what Section might refert to.

So, you could easily "map" all the sounds needed for a song and step thru them in sequence.

Just my speculation...
That's SUPER powerful if you're correct! That opens up even more endless possibilities....you can be prepared for ANY situation with minimal effort

Just my speculation...
A bit more speculation ...

Wondering if a SET could be akin to a Bank, a SONG akin to a Preset, and a SECTION akin to a Scene.

So, one would increment through a list of SONGS in a SET. Then, select a SECTION within a SONG, named things like "intro", "verse", "chorus", "bridge", etc. Each SECTION would point to a Preset/Scene combination. Example: Intro points to Preset 123, Scene 3, Verse points to Preset 456, Scene 7, etc.

Just add this to the S.W.A.G. pile. ;-]

Edit: Just realized this is pretty much what Unix-Guy just said.

Just my speculation...

That's similar to how I have my Liquid Foot+ (LF+) setup. For each song, I have all the presets listed in order of the parts of the song, so I only have to step on footswitch 1 and never have to remember what any of the other footswitches do. I leave the footswitch above and to the left of footswitch 1 unassigned, so there's no chance of me accidentally stepping on them and selecting something unintended. I have footswitch 3 assigned to Song Preset down, just in case I accidentally double tap on footswitch 1. I only use this layout when playing shows. When I'm writing music or jamming, I have my LF+ in preset mode, so I have access to all presets.

Once the Axe-Fx III has Song and Set Lists, I may have to buy an Axe-Fx III and FC12 again and sell my Axe-Fx II XL+, LF+ 12+, Pro+ and RJM Mastermind GT22.

A song is a preset, a set list is the entire collection of songs for a show. Sections? Sets within the set list?

This doesn't need to be complicated - you need a layout to put your fractal in (or out of) set list mode and to select which set list. From there you should be able to use existing factory or custom layouts within that set list context. You'd need a module added to Axe-Edit to generate and maintain those lists.

Let's not re-invent the wheel.

Patiently waiting (taps fingers). :rolleyes:

A song is a preset, a set list is the entire collection of songs for a show. Sections? Sets within the set list?

This doesn't need to be complicated - you need a layout to put your fractal in (or out of) set list mode and to select which set list. From there you should be able to use existing factory or custom layouts within that set list context. You'd need a module added to Axe-Edit to generate and maintain those lists.

I'd just like what the MFC had. You can pick the set list and it cycles through songs where each song pulls up the preset you selected.

Although I don't need it, my opinion on the most versatile approach to this is to have the 'Song/Section' be a list that has Song/Section/Preset/Bank number....so you arrange the list as you want, and you could order by song... and move songs up and down the list easily, the the list would show something like

Set, Song, Section, Preset, Bank,
1 Radar love Intro 234, Plexi 3, Crunch
1 Radar love Verse 166, Bulger 7, Bulging
1 Radar love Chorus 234, Plexi 1, Backed
1 Radar love Solo 234, Plexi 2, Solo
2 You ought Intro 477, Tweed 1, Blanch
etc..

From there, I'd add the capability to set a layout based on Song, with buttons being able to represent sections of the song... and have the capability to choose the song of course....in the software nice and easy.....Hmm.. may need to add 'band' or something too...and of course have the capability to quickly find a differen song in the order when the singer says 'yeah nahhh - lets do this song instead.... twooooo, threeeee,,,,, fourrr'

Anyway, as I said, I don't need it, but If I was in multiple bands with changing sets, the capability to setup the controller per song would be cool.

Thanks
Pauly

Did you mean to say a song is a "collection" or bank of presets?

The way song mode works on most other devices, is a song is like a bank of presets assigned in any order to the foot switches (FS). Regular preset mode has banks of presets in sequential order and can't be assigned.

I would like to have the song mode be a list of at least 24 presets that you can also select which scene will be selected with the preset and be able to rename each preset in the song.

Example:
# Song 1
1. Preset 103 Scene 7 Alias Intro
2. Preset 245 Scene 3 Alias Verse 1
3. Preset 103 Scene 5 Alias PreChorus 1
4. Preset 3 Scene 1 Alias Chorus 1
5. Preset 123 Scene 4 Alias PostChorus 1
6. Preset 245 Scene 2 Alias PreVerse 2
7. Preset 245 Scene 3 Alias Verse 2
8. Preset 103 Scene 5 Alias PreChorus 2
9. Preset 3 Scene 1 Alias Chorus 2
10. Preset 99 Scene 8 Alias Solo 1
11. Preset 99 Scene 7 Alias Solo 2
12. Preset 99 Scene 6 Alias Solo Wah 3
13. Preset 76 Scene 6 Alias Bridge 1
14. Preset 77 Scene 1 Alias PostBridge 1
15. Preset 3 Scene 1 Alias Chorus 3
16. Preset 34 Scene 3 Alias Outro 1

There would need to be multiple FS assignment functions to allow different ways to access songs and song's preset list.

1. A song up/down to select a song. Most devices use the bank up/down for this.

2. A song bank up/down within a song preset list, so we can access the entire list and not just the amount of physical FS's on the FC-6/12/FM3. With the MFC-101, I had to create multiple songs if I needed access to more song presets than there were physical FS's.

3. A Song preset up/down that will sequentially select each preset in the song list similar to if you set a bank to 1. This is how I use my FAMC Liquid Foot+ (LF+). I explained this above in a previous post. I have a FS assigned to song preset up and another assigned to song preset down. I only have to use the song preset up for the entire song and only have the down FS if I accidentally double tap on the up FS. With this setup you don't have to remember any FS assignments and just step on the up FS for each section of the song.

So - you guys don't use scenes? o_O

I can't imagine you're currently using your Fractals in the manner described - and if you are, please send video of a live performance. The world need more tap-dancing guitarist vids (if only to counter the cute cat videos). :) But then again, maybe that's what sections are for (?) - multiple presets within a song. I guess we'll just have to do a wait-and-see.

Gosh, and great bands played with just amps and a few pedals. That was my world and still is - except the amp and pedals are my FM3. Sure, I don't play in traveling bands anymore. I get that if you are in a zillion bands it gets complicated.
But, it's suppose to be music not, rocket science. I think?

So - you guys don't use scenes? o_O

I can't imagine you're currently using your Fractals in the manner described - and if you are, please send video of a live performance. The world need more tap-dancing guitarist vids (if only to counter the cute cat videos). :) But then again, maybe that's what sections are for (?) - multiple presets within a song. I guess we'll just have to do a wait-and-see.
My previous post is an example of how I currently use song mode. I use presets and scenes. I use a lot of FX and pretty much use a different sound for each section in a song. I know it looks complicated but it's not because I only have to step on one foot switch and it selects the next preset in the song list. I usually step on the FS an 8th note before the next section, so there's no hiccup in the sound for the first beat.

Set lists? What are that?

In all seriousness, it's been years since I've been in a band that didn't throw the set list out the window after 5 songs. If we even had one at all.
I can see where the OP is coming from and I absolutely get it.

I am in a wedding band (we also do club dates). We try to stick to a setlist but we play to the crowd. Luckily we know hundreds of songs.. and can go off the reservation pretty quickly following the crowd ...LOL. I have like 3 - 5 presets with multiple scenes that allow me to cover pretty much everything from soul, dance, funk, country, jazz, etc. I do not try and sound like the artist I am covering. I cover the "style/genre" that I am playing. Which is easier with respect to preset management/selection. So I can switch gears pretty quickly. For me, this seems to work best. Not trying to copy any specific tone -- just the style of the genre.

End of the night (good or bad) I am just doing my thing and having fun with it.

My previous post is an example of how I currently use song mode. I use presets and scenes. I use a lot of FX and pretty much use a different sound for each section in a song. I know it looks complicated but it's not because I only have to step on one foot switch and it selects the next preset in the song list. I usually step on the FS an 8th note before the next section, so there's no hiccup in the sound for the first beat.
I too, use different sounds for each section in a song. However, I rarely use more than 5 scenes per song (Hotel California w/ guitar harmonies uses all 8). I can't imagine having to select a different preset (and scene?) in the midst of playing and singing (segues notwithstanding).

What I'm hoping to avoid is a design that complicates what for most certainly is just multiple arrays of re-ordered presets. Which brings me back to Sections - not yet defined - as they could be the grand unifying factor between the one song, one preset guys like me and those that draw from several presets and scenes per song.

Gosh, and great bands played with just amps and a few pedals. That was my world and still is - except the amp and pedals are my FM3. Sure, I don't play in traveling bands anymore. I get that if you are in a zillion bands it gets complicated.
But, it's suppose to be music not, rocket science. I think?
Things change and people evolve.

There was a time great bands played with just a guitar and an amp...

There was a time when great bands played with just an acoustic guitar...

I think you see where I'm going? ;)

And now you use the FM3... And those guys before think you're dealing with rocket science :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom