Setlist function

Sully0556

Inspired
So I took the time and dove into the setlist function last weekend, after about 45 minutes of loading presets/songs and making a setlist I was surprised at how easy it was. After rehearsal last night I'm amazed at how awesome this feature is! If you're gigging at all, jump into this feature, it'll make your stage life so much easier! Thank you FAS for going above and beyond to make a great product even better!

I totally agree. I used it for a covers gig for the first time about two weeks ago and loved it. The only confusing thing for me setting it up was that I was mainly using two presets for 10 of the songs but when tweaking the scenes I can’t see which songs they are affecting unless I go back into setlists/songs. So I’d make an adjustment on a scene for one song and then realize it would be used in another song then would have to go back…
My fix will be to just have a couple more presets in the future if certain songs require it.

I totally agree. I used it for a covers gig for the first time about two weeks ago and loved it. The only confusing thing for me setting it up was that I was mainly using two presets for 10 of the songs but when tweaking the scenes I can’t see which songs they are affecting unless I go back into setlists/songs. So I’d make an adjustment on a scene for one song and then realize it would be used in another song then would have to go back…
My fix will be to just have a couple more presets in the future if certain songs require it.
I ran into the exact same thing last night, I'll have to set up each song individually in my presets which is not a big deal and the benefits greatly outweigh the hassle in the long run. What used to take me time to set up for the next song is now done instantly, we like to run songs together in a bunch with no break between them in groups of 3 or 4 so this makes the transitions instant for me. I'm so impressed!

Absolutely! It’s all these things that put fractal light years ahead of the competition. I recently switched from a quad cortex to an FM9 and I’m in heaven. It’s like fractal has designed a setting or system to overcome every barrier. Just amazing.

I’m working on making a song list for every some we have and then it will be a piece of cake!

The larger font / screen feature is very welcome when using the setlist function. My "seasoned" eyes appreciate it since I can't play on stage with my glasses, the Bi-focals really screw me up when I'm playing and looking down at my guitar neck. :tearsofjoy:

I have a few gigs coming up and I'd like to start setting this up. I haven't touched this yet - hope to get started tomorrow evening. I am still reading through the documentation at this point, so please excuse my ignorance / laziness...

Question 1:
So far, I have not found anything that specifically mentions this but I assume that once you have defined songs that point to particular preset slots, moving any of these presets would break that link, or just point to the old preset # that may not be what the one you want. I assume the song/setlist feature has no way of attaching to the preset itself, just the preset location.

Just asking because in the past I have moved presets around a lot, so once I get songs defined, I don't want to screw that up.
Of course, the main reason I was moving them was to put them in a logical order for gigs which would be unnecessary and handled by the song lists.

Question 2:
Once you're in a song or song/section, is there any easy way to switch to the "Effects" view to toggle individual effects? I'm not sure if this will be a necessity or not but I do have a few presets that are setup like a pedalboard layout that I do use this way.

Any other big hurdles or considerations to think about when setting up songs other than what was mentioned above?

Thanks 👍

I have a few gigs coming up and I'd like to start setting this up. I haven't touched this yet - hope to get started tomorrow evening. I am still reading through the documentation at this point, so please excuse my ignorance / laziness...

Question 1:
So far, I have not found anything that specifically mentions this but I assume that once you have defined songs that point to particular preset slots, moving any of these presets would break that link, or just point to the old preset # that may not be what the one you want. I assume the song/setlist feature has no way of attaching to the preset itself, just the preset location.

Just asking because in the past I have moved presets around a lot, so once I get songs defined, I don't want to screw that up.
Of course, the main reason I was moving them was to put them in a logical order for gigs which would be unnecessary and handled by the song lists.

Question 2:
Once you're in a song or song/section, is there any easy way to switch to the "Effects" view to toggle individual effects? I'm not sure if this will be a necessity or not but I do have a few presets that are setup like a pedalboard layout that I do use this way.

Any other big hurdles or considerations to think about when setting up songs other than what was mentioned above?

Thanks 👍
Answer 1:
I believe it is tied to the Preset slot, so moving a Preset would break the link.

Answer 2:
I have one of the upper buttons on the FM3 set to Effects.

the main reason I was moving them was to put them in a logical order for gigs which would be unnecessary and handled by the song lists.
Exactly. The Set and Song lists remove the need to move individual presets around.

If I needed to move presets, I'd probably keep track of what went where, either with a screenshot, or keeping the Preset Manager open so I can see the list. We can export the Setlist and Songlist to disk where it'll be an XML file, and is importable into a spreadsheet or text editor where it might be easier to manipulate. Export it from the spreadsheet back to XML then import it into Edit and into the modeler. Here's what the files look like:

Songlist example:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<All-Songs version="1" deviceId="18" deviceMajor="4" deviceMinor="1">
  <Song id="0" name="Song 001">
    <Section name="Sect 1" preset="427" scene="0"/>
    <Section name="Sect 2" preset="0" scene="0"/>
    <Section name="Sect 3" preset="0" scene="0"/>
    <Section name="Sect 4" preset="0" scene="0"/>
    <Section name="Sect 5" preset="0" scene="0"/>
    <Section name="Sect 6" preset="0" scene="0"/>
  </Song>
  <Song id="127" name="Song 128">
    <Section name="Sect 1" preset="0" scene="0"/>
  </Song>
</All-Songs>
In this example I'd set Song ID=0, section 1, to point to preset 427, then swapped the song with an empty preset, and Edit showed that the preset hadn't updated.

Setlist example:
Code:

<Setlists version="1" deviceId="18" deviceMajor="4" deviceMinor="1">
  <Setlist id="0" name="Set 1">
    <SongId id="0"/>
    <SongId id="0"/>
  </Setlist>
</Setlists>

The format is pretty self-explanatory if you understand XML, though the files aren't documented that I remember. Because the song list points to preset slots it's easy to see why the list would break by moving presets around. Wishes exist to improve how User Cabs are tracked because moving them breaks presets also so maybe both would be touched at the same time, but when we'd see that mechanism enhanced is only known to Fractal. The modeler allows duplicate preset names, but doesn't have a compound key of the slot+name or a hash of the contents of the preset to uniquely identify the preset, so we get to work with what we got. :)

PS - <All-Songs version="1" deviceId="18" deviceMajor="4" deviceMinor="1"> looks like how Edit can track what version of the file format its in, the model of the modeler, and the firmware the modeler is running. I don't know how critical those are but currently I expect that version is most important.

Note: Manipulating the XML and reimporting it isn't a documented or an officially approved practice, so if your modeler catches on fire or your hair falls out remember "I was out of town when that happened."

Last edited:
Exactly. The Set and Song lists remove the need to move individual presets around.

If I needed to move presets, I'd probably keep track of what went where, either with a screenshot, or keeping the Preset Manager open so I can see the list. We can export the Setlist and Songlist to disk where it'll be an XML file, and is importable into a spreadsheet or text editor where it might be easier to manipulate. Export it from the spreadsheet back to XML then import it into Edit and into the modeler. Here's what the files look like:

Songlist example:
Code:

<All-Songs version="1" deviceId="18" deviceMajor="4" deviceMinor="1">
  <Song id="0" name="Song 001">
    <Section name="Sect 1" preset="427" scene="0"/>
  </Song>
  <Song id="127" name="Song 128">
    <Section name="Sect 1" preset="0" scene="0"/>
  </Song>
</All-Songs>
In this example I'd set Song ID=0, section 1, to point to preset 427, then swapped the song with an empty preset, and Edit showed that the preset hadn't updated.

Setlist example:
Code:

<Setlists version="1" deviceId="18" deviceMajor="4" deviceMinor="1">
  <Setlist id="0" name="Set 1">
    <SongId id="0"/>
    <SongId id="0"/>
  </Setlist>
</Setlists>

The format is pretty self-explanatory if you understand XML, though the files aren't documented that I remember. Because the song list points to preset slots it's easy to see why the list would break by moving presets around. Wishes exist to improve how User Cabs are tracked because moving them breaks presets also so maybe both would be touched at the same time, but when we'd see that mechanism enhanced is only known to Fractal. The modeler allows duplicate preset names, but doesn't have a compound key of the slot+name or a hash of the contents of the preset to uniquely identify the preset, so we get to work with what we got. :)

PS - <All-Songs version="1" deviceId="18" deviceMajor="4" deviceMinor="1"> looks like how Edit can track what version of the file format its in, the model of the modeler, and the firmware the modeler is running. I don't know how critical those are but currently I expect that version is most important.

Note: Manipulating the XML and reimporting it isn't a documented or an officially approved practice, so if your modeler catches on fire or your hair falls out remember "I was out of town when that happened."
Wow! Thanks for the detailed response Greg! I didn't realize you could manipulate the song lists through XML. I don't routinely work with XML but I've done a little coding in the past so this should be very doable. Seems like a good way to update preset locations en masse if needed.

This thread was informative to me, in that I did not previously know that there was such a thing as a Setlist Function.

so yeah……I guess that reflects my current knowledge level……but it might be useful to know the option exists.

The larger font / screen feature is very welcome when using the setlist function. My "seasoned" eyes appreciate it since I can't play on stage with my glasses, the Bi-focals really screw me up when I'm playing and looking down at my guitar neck. :tearsofjoy:
How do you apply this in setlist/songs mode? Bigger text, especially for the currently selected song would be aces.

Using the Setlists mode, does anyone know if it’s possible to:

• Have a ’starting section’ per each song where the corresponding button is lit more brightly (akin to a default scene) per each song, and where the starting section can differ per each song.

• Have the ability for any ‘blank’ sections to have their corresponding buttons unlit - e.g. as a further indication that they are not-in-play for particular songs

As a contrived example to describe both of the above, I may have 2 different songs which only include say ‘main’ and ‘lead’ as sections. Therefore I want all the other section buttons to be unlit.

Furthermore, one song may start with a ‘lead’ section, (so I want that to be more brightly lit as the default), and on the other song the ‘main’ section should be the starting section and likewise should be defaulted with a brighter lit switch. NOTE: this is different to having default scenes, because I may want to use the same underlying preset for both of these songs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom