Set Up For Axe Fx II At Home : Earphones? Monitors? To Get The Best Results

samheidke

Hey guys,

I just brought the Axe FX II and currently using it with my mac through logic. I am in an apartment so can't be to loud with it until I get into the rehearsal studio.

I am playing it through logic with a pair of headphones, I just can't seem to get the right tones/sound. Any tips on a home set up would be appreciated (Should I get rid of the headphones all together???, as I know it can sound different from headphones vs monitors)

I use full-size FRFR monitors, small nearfield monitors, and headphones. They all sound completely different from each other. They also sound different loud vs. quiet. No perfect solution.

I would recommend a decent pair of small nearfields as a good overall compromise.

There are two separate points here: effect of using headphones, and learning to use the AxeFX.

I'm not happy using headphones to monitor my AxeFX. Live I use IEMS, plus FRFR for acoustic coupling with my guitar. At home I normally use the FRFR. My IEMS were chosen to sound similar to FRFR across the 125 Hz to 3.5kHz band. My patches roll off EQ above 3.5kHz, and cut below 125 Hz and above 6.5kHz. This means that my IEMs sound reasonably similar to my FRFR. The IEMs lack a bit of the top end, but I can cope with that. Now, when I use headphones they sound different. The cheap ones don’t have an acceptable EQ profile. The expensive ones have a better profile, which means that they are good for listening to recorded music, but have too much top and bottom for electric guitar.

As I’m sure you know there’s a learning curve with the AxeFX. There is plenty of information about what you should be looking at. Just don't expect it to sound perfect from the outset. It’s not plug and play.

Man you are in a tough spot. Using the Axe FRFR you really need to get the volume going to know how it is going to sound for your audience.
At home I can use studio monitors, headphones, IEM's and choice of 2 different FRFR cabs.
#1 choice is FRFR at above 88db.
#4 choice is headphones.

Monitors. You can great sounds out of the AxeFXII at very low volumes. These great sounds don't translate well to loud volumes, but you can tweak those sounds when you're in an environment that allows you to crank up.

I use FRFR at home. I'm using Yamaha HS8's. I find you need a little volume for it to translate better at loud volumes but nothing crazy. Turning up the mids can help when you are playing with others to cut through and less is more with distortion. I am recording a Black Sabbath cover and was surprised at how little distortion I need and it still sounds huge just using a jumped Plexi with lots of treble and a tiny bit of drive.

Using headphones is never going to sound the same because each ear is isolated. I use headphones for critical listening but in general get best results with my studio monitors. Depends a lot on weather you will be gigging and where. You can plug right into front of house or PA system but if the venue is small and doesn't have one you are going to need a power amp and cab or powered speakers.

I use a Yamaha DXR10 at home, sounds really good and can be whisper quiet or very, very loud.

As others have said volume will make it sound different - but that's neither the fault of the Axe or the speaker

I use the headphones out to the in ear monitors i will be using on stage. this way i can dial in my tones for my ears that I need live on stage while telling the soundman that he can set the board flat and bring the gain up as needed. This has worked well for me. As for everything else i try at home colors the tone that i am hearing from my ears. I also suggest good flat response ears. I like the UE 7 pro's. Alien ears also has a decent flat triple driver that worked well for me in years past.

Back
Top Bottom