Set tempo via MIDI

Yes Kamil, thanks a lot for your help... So valuable !

I have edited the Axe html file to make it compatible for FM3.

It is now working flawlessly !

Everything was tested with succes using BANDHELPER (big thanks to zionplayer) with Yamaha MD-BT01 BlueTooth adapter.

Now I cand send Sysex Tempo to my FM3 wirelessly with my Iphone and use the Metronome in conjunction with the Looper.

With that setup, the Looper stay synchro with the Metronome (using the Quantize function)...

I join to this message a ZIP file including the FM3 and Axe SYSEX message for any BPM.

Thanks again :) !
Great! Glad to be of help.

If you visit the web page again I updated it a couple hours ago so the same page can be used for either Axe-FX III or FM3.

It would really by nice if it could just be changed via midi with a single value...

MIDI clock is just a repeated message 24x per quarter note. MIDI Time Code and Song Position Pointer are song/track ways of doing time but they'd be terrible for a guitar multi-effects unit. Other than that, it'd be a proprietary message - either SysEx or some sort of CC value mapping technique.

Hi all,

So am I correct in thinking that I cannot use the tap tempo on my FC-12 to control not only the Axe FXiii but also the tempo on a Boss Slicer and a ZVex Super Ringtone connected to the Axe FXiii by MIDI???

Hi all,

So am I correct in thinking that I cannot use the tap tempo on my FC-12 to control not only the Axe FXiii but also the tempo on a Boss Slicer and a ZVex Super Ringtone connected to the Axe FXiii by MIDI???
You are correct.

You'd need some sort of external midi clock source.

Wow. for the first time since buying the Axe FXiii I am really disappointed, given that so much is made of having the single Faslink connection between the FC-12 and the Axe FXiii and that the MIDI block can send PC and cc messages to up to 8 other units. When you consider how common tap tempo is on so many pedals, I am bemused as to why I can use the FC-12 to send PC and cc messages to connected units via the Axe FXiii, but this does not extend to relaying the tap tempo from the FC-12. This seems such a basic weakness. Genuinely amazed.

Wow. for the first time since buying the Axe FXiii I am really disappointed, given that so much is made of having the single Faslink connection between the FC-12 and the Axe FXiii and that the MIDI block can send PC and cc messages to up to 8 other units. When you consider how common tap tempo is on so many pedals, I am bemused as to why I can use the FC-12 to send PC and cc messages to connected units via the Axe FXiii, but this does not extend to relaying the tap tempo from the FC-12. This seems such a basic weakness. Genuinely amazed.
Keep in mind that the FC-12 isn't sending anything, the Axe Fx is. It's not a midi Controller.

The midi block can send CC and PC messages, but tempo is not a CC or PC. It's a clock... That requires different capabilities.

Would be cool but I wouldn't expect it.

Yes, I know very well that the FC isn't a MIDI controller, but that isn't really the point is it? As I say, I can't see the logic in enabling the Axe to control other MIDI controllable variables on connected devices but not relaying tap tempo when controlled by Fractal's own FC. Saying 'it doesn't do this' doesn't justify WHY it doesn't do this as part of a unit which I'm sure has much more complex functions as standard. As I said, it just seems a very basic failing in an otherwise excellent unit.

Anyway, off to bed now, thanks

Yes... but as a Midi Novice my explanation will be muddled, I am sure...

I use Bandhelper for setlists and schedule, and to send Midi to change my AXE III presets, scenes, blocks on/off and to set tempo bpm. This is how I do it in Bandhelper, but YMMV, and there is probably a much easier way somehow...

Example: my midi preset file named 'TEMPO120' sends this RAW MIDI (HEX Code) :
F0 00 01 74 10 14 78 00 79 F7

where F0 00 01 74 10 is the Fractal Audio company code
14 is the cc I want
78 00 sets value at 120 bpm
79 is the XOR checksum

F0 00 01 74 10 14 7D 00 7C F7 sends 125
F0 00 01 74 10 14 7E 00 7F F7 sends 126
F0 00 01 74 10 14 7F 00 7E F7 sends 127
F0 00 01 74 10 14 00 01 00 F7 sends 128
F0 00 01 74 10 14 01 01 01 F7 sends 129
F0 00 01 74 10 14 02 01 02 F7 sends 130

and so on... works like a charm. I send Tempo with every song selection. Now, if I can just Midi this into my drummers head...

I'm resurrecting this because I need to do the same, but I'm not understanding the hex code. When I look at a line like the one for a 125 tempo, and convert 127 to hexadecimal in an online converter, I see that 127=7D. So it looks like the bolded part is what sets the tempo.

F0 00 01 74 10 14 7D 00 7C F7

BUT...it also seems like there's more to the story, because putting in
F0 00 01 74 10 14 62 00 7C F7
does not give me a tempo of 98. What are the next two pairs doing that I need to know about? I'm trying to make a table for myself of tempos that range from around 60BPM on up.

I'm resurrecting this because I need to do the same, but I'm not understanding the hex code. When I look at a line like the one for a 125 tempo, and convert 127 to hexadecimal in an online converter, I see that 127=7D. So it looks like the bolded part is what sets the tempo.

F0 00 01 74 10 14 7D 00 7C F7

BUT...it also seems like there's more to the story, because putting in
F0 00 01 74 10 14 62 00 7C F7
does not give me a tempo of 98. What are the next two pairs doing that I need to know about? I'm trying to make a table for myself of tempos that range from around 60BPM on up.
Check this. I think it will help you:
http://www.kamilkisiel.net/axefx_tempo.html

Back
Top Bottom