Set BPM/tempo to a tenth of a number (or at least a half)

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to be precise, but my current band plays without a click so I'd assume that most of our songs aren't truly *on* a whole time beat. Therefore my tapping will never be fully locked with the song, not even taking into account that tapping isn't totally precisely either - even if we could go to fractions of a beat you're still dealing with the action of a foot hitting a switch. Combine that with random variability and it'll probably be off by 1 or 2 anyway, and I seriously doubt anyone will notice, even the band. As suggested, either mod the tempo in your DAW, or just go with it to the nearest whole beat.

It's like first they invented Quantize so drum grooves and midi tracks could be precise. Then they invented shuffle and randomize to make it more human, lol.

I understand the workarounds (doubling the BPM and adjusting delay subdivisions, using actual ms values for delays, etc), and I get that it's not very noticeable, but it would be cool to be exact, wouldn't it?

It seems like the culture of Fractal is to make things as precise and perfect as possible, so to me this seems like it would fit into that brand identity.

Being exact is Absolutely physically impossible in a live situation. Sound to ear processed to brain then to hands makes this impossible. Even if those parameters in the axe were available

Well ok - let me rephrase then... I'd like to set the BPM of my presets to the same BPM of the click track we're playing to.

Man.... you guys are bound and determined to make this request more complicated than it should be. I also play at a church and have to sync with WHAT IS GIVEN TO US. Having a decimal point in the tempo would be fantastic and would alleviate all the work arounds we already know how to do.

If Fractal can accommodate all the people that want Idea vs Authentic amp models..... then this tiny request should be a dot on the map in the grand scheme of things. (pun intended).

+1 for adding this feature.

How far do we go? To the nano or picosecond??? No value to it

You could make the same argument for the quality of the amp/effects modeling. How close should we get? 99.9% of the way there or 99.9999% of the way there.

Some people might be fine with 99.9%, while others want 99.9999%. Personally, I find value in setting my delays that precise. Others might not - that's fine, but it would be nice to have the option available.

Then ingore the feature if/when it’s implemented. The same way I ignore the 200 other dials that I don’t need in the Axe that exist. Not sure what you have to lose here. And for the record.... I CAN tell when my heavy dotted eighth syncopated delay feels slightly off because the track is at 72.5 and my delay is set to 73.

Why is it a "pain" to have? Don't want a decimal BPM, don't set your tempo to a decimal BPM. What's wrong with having the option? Other products (Helix) allow this.
Then ingore the feature if/when it’s implemented. The same way I ignore the 200 other dials that I don’t need in the Axe that exist. Not sure what you have to lose here. And for the record.... I CAN tell when my heavy dotted eighth syncopated delay feels slightly off because the track is at 72.5 and my delay is set to 73.

as i mentioned earlier, if everyone is forced to use decimals in BPM, when using the Value wheel to set the BPM directly on the front panel, this now means i have to turn through decimals, when i personally don't have the need to. turning slowly, i don't have to only worry about 123, 124, 125, to get to 126. i now have to go 124.01, 124.02, 124.03... etc to get to 126. i'm sure that it would "ramp up" so i quickly jump over many decimals, but at some point, i'll have to turn slowly to get to a whole number. even from 125 bpm to get to 126, assuming x.xx bpm, that's 100 values i now need to turn through.

that's why i asked for this to be optional, if implemented. if i'm on stage, using the front panel, i want things to be set quickly. having to turn this precisely to avoid the decimals is something i don't want to do.

that is why some of us aren't ignoring this, and discussing it. people can wish for whatever they want. that doesn't mean a) they immediately get it or b) that everyone agrees. one man's wish can be another man's hassle.

I'll add that this request is not useful just for delays.
in the Axe fx we have any kind of controllers, LFOs, arpeggiators, etc, which can be synced to tempo and a more precise settings would surely be useful in some cases.

Example: I play a couple songs where I have a sequenced synth going into an arpeggiator in my patch, and the arpeggio repeats thru the whole song.
In this case even a 0.2 bpm difference is noticeable cuz the synth goes out of sync after a few measures.

as i mentioned earlier, if everyone is forced to use decimals in BPM, when using the Value wheel to set the BPM directly on the front panel, this now means i have to turn through decimals, when i personally don't have the need to. turning slowly, i don't have to only worry about 123, 124, 125, to get to 126. i now have to go 124.01, 124.02, 124.03... etc to get to 126. i'm sure that it would "ramp up" so i quickly jump over many decimals, but at some point, i'll have to turn slowly to get to a whole number. even from 125 bpm to get to 126, assuming x.xx bpm, that's 100 values i now need to turn through.

that's why i asked for this to be optional, if implemented. if i'm on stage, using the front panel, i want things to be set quickly. having to turn this precisely to avoid the decimals is something i don't want to do.

that is why some of us aren't ignoring this, and discussing it. people can wish for whatever they want. that doesn't mean a) they immediately get it or b) that everyone agrees. one man's wish can be another man's hassle.

That’s fair on the wheel spin..... I’ll admit I wasn’t considering that issue, since I either dial a preset in with tempo on Axe Edit, or tap in on the fly. An alternate consideration (outside of the global option parameter, which I’d be totally fine with) would be to take the Strymons Timeline approach. Only add the tempos on decimal values under 100. Above 100 it remains whole notes.

That’s fair on the wheel spin..... I’ll admit I wasn’t considering that issue, since I either dial a preset in with tempo on Axe Edit, or tap in on the fly. An alternate consideration (outside of the global option parameter, which I’d be totally fine with) would be to take the Strymons Timeline approach. Only add the tempos on decimal values under 100. Above 100 it remains whole notes.
that's a great alternate option, though i'm sure someone would need 101.5 :D

i think Tap Tempo would have to go to the nearest whole number. i can't imagine tapping 120.2. also, maybe press Enter on the Tempo parameter in the Tempo menu and it goes to decimal - can we do just 0.x? and not 0.xx? and then in Edit we can type directly what we want - no problem there.

speaking just for myself - as any of us can only do ever - i do understand the need for decimal BPM, as i mentioned before. i just don't use it and don't want the added hassle. if this "press Enter" thing can be implemented, that'd be cool. i actually can't see this being a global option judging from past experience.

--
this is the type of discussion that actually brings wishes to the device. hashing out what people actually need, mentioning how it may be a detriment to others. getting to the specifics and coming up with implementation ideas.

Def open to a good convo about the pro’s and cons. I think the frustration came from replies that completely dismissed the idea that anyone could need this feature.

As for tapping... I’m used to seeing the decimal because I use an RJM GT22.... and it taps with a decimal in the display. Although funny enough... if I’m just tiinkering around at home and tap in.... I’ll keep tapping until I land on a whole note!

Setlist wise tho... When building Songs and keying in a tempos per preset... if there was a middle ground solution, I think the majority of us P&W guys would be elated since we all end up in the same boat with these oddly timed clicks/tracks.

I’ve done music production for like 25 years now, and I can’t say I’ve ever once really needed to set BPM that finely, even though I do hBe plenty of software, drum machines etc that could do it.

I’m not saying there isn’t a value to it, but I’ve just never felt I needed like 340.15 bpm, always just been 340

the OP explained why it would make his life easier while being aware of the available work arounds.
Just let him have his wish list item without explaining to him why he doesn't need it.

giphy.gif

I'm a little annoyed every time I come across a track that has a .5 bpm to it, and Brian's presets for the P&W crowd are pretty darn good- I use a bunch of them myself, and that entire genre of playing is so delay driven, and it's almost always played along with some level of background tracking. I would definitely use this if it were added, and yea, I know the workaround- been doing it for years.

Back
Top Bottom