Session Recall for I/O changes

Don Watters

Inspired
My question is, for others that using the I/O setup changes on a regular basis, how have you documented the session recall, to make sure that you're using the right ins and outs in different scenarios?

I've been a home recording musician for many years, but have spent my fair share of time in studios as an audio engineer. I recently did a complete overhaul of my home setup, to be able to more easily record ideas and get them down quickly. To do this, I added to my setup (which of course complicates everything) to allow for maximum flexibility in the studio. Most of the complexity gets simplified by creating a matrix of ins and outs via patchbays, Dante / Digital I/O on all gear and patching everything into interfaces connected to my main studio computer.

I tend to use the Axe FX III in three scenarios. There are additional scenarios, but I think they're all derivative of those three core scenarios:
  • Recording from In 1 and Out 1: Record DI through a DI box split off the signal and send the guitar input to Input 1 and just get the output of Output 1 from the Axe FX. With the DI, I can send that signal to any other effects processor or amp modeler, but routing with Axe FX remains simple in and out
  • Outboard FX box: Via send and return to an amp. I use AES out to Dante, to get the signal to and from the amp
  • 4CM setup: Using AES to get on to the Dante Network, and getting the signal back from the amp, but also using Inputs and outputs to grab set my guitar in and amp out. I can be directly plugged in to the Input on the amp or the input on the Axe FX III, depending on the setup
I've tried regular session recall templates that we would've used in years past and also using preset "templates" on the Axe FX III to simplify setup, but presets don't account for I/O setup changes (i.e. Input 1 Source = AES or Input 1 or Output Source=Output 1 or Output 2 or Copy Out 1 to Out 2). The Axe FX III I/O is very flexible, but doesn't have any automation capabilities to set ins and outs according to Preset. At this point, I've been using what I call a recipe, which is based on the scenarios I run into, where I have to write down all of the steps to perform each I/O setup change per preset. Just wondering what others are doing and if there's an easier solution. Maybe I just need to add this as a wish?

BTW, I do not use USB for recording, in case that's a question.

I use presets specifically named such as "DI', '4CM' etc with I/O templates in Pro Tools named the same to correspond with the preset. Doesn't account for every scenario though.

A recall function would be cool, so no harm putting it in wish list.

My question is, for others that using the I/O setup changes on a regular basis, how have you documented the session recall, to make sure that you're using the right ins and outs in different scenarios?

I've been a home recording musician for many years, but have spent my fair share of time in studios as an audio engineer. I recently did a complete overhaul of my home setup, to be able to more easily record ideas and get them down quickly. To do this, I added to my setup (which of course complicates everything) to allow for maximum flexibility in the studio. Most of the complexity gets simplified by creating a matrix of ins and outs via patchbays, Dante / Digital I/O on all gear and patching everything into interfaces connected to my main studio computer.

I tend to use the Axe FX III in three scenarios. There are additional scenarios, but I think they're all derivative of those three core scenarios:
  • Recording from In 1 and Out 1: Record DI through a DI box split off the signal and send the guitar input to Input 1 and just get the output of Output 1 from the Axe FX. With the DI, I can send that signal to any other effects processor or amp modeler, but routing with Axe FX remains simple in and out
  • Outboard FX box: Via send and return to an amp. I use AES out to Dante, to get the signal to and from the amp
  • 4CM setup: Using AES to get on to the Dante Network, and getting the signal back from the amp, but also using Inputs and outputs to grab set my guitar in and amp out. I can be directly plugged in to the Input on the amp or the input on the Axe FX III, depending on the setup
I've tried regular session recall templates that we would've used in years past and also using preset "templates" on the Axe FX III to simplify setup, but presets don't account for I/O setup changes (i.e. Input 1 Source = AES or Input 1 or Output Source=Output 1 or Output 2 or Copy Out 1 to Out 2). The Axe FX III I/O is very flexible, but doesn't have any automation capabilities to set ins and outs according to Preset. At this point, I've been using what I call a recipe, which is based on the scenarios I run into, where I have to write down all of the steps to perform each I/O setup change per preset. Just wondering what others are doing and if there's an easier solution. Maybe I just need to add this as a wish?

BTW, I do not use USB for recording, in case that's a question.
I typically save all I/O info in the recording session file/folder for the DAW. I type the mic/preamp used in the "notes" field on the actual track in the DAW. If needed, I take a picture of the mic placement and throw it in the session folder with the date and exact name of the track. Save any mixing/routing files from Dante Controller or your audio interface/mixer in the session folder as well.

Back
Top Bottom