Seriously impressed with Charvel...

They have been made of unobtanium for a while now. I might have the last two sets in the world on my SE Standard 24 and Strat....
I have them on both my Charvels. Waited several months to get each set... About a year apart.

I contacted Wilkinson thru their Reverb store and they let me know when they were in stock, but it's been a while.

I wonder if the Vega Trem would be a good substitute. It seems like those things are great for tuning stability, plus you have more range.

I have a Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HH HT M QM Purple Phaze and it's one of my favorite guitars. Not sure why they discontinued it because I'm not a fan of the trem on the newer models and prefer a fixed bridge.

Yup, I got a US DK24 HSS and it's one of my favorite guitars. Neck is amazing.
Your comments elsewhere helped convince me the USA version was worthy of the cost.

And, yes, the neck! I say that pretty much every time I post about these guitars.

The MIM neck is just as good. The only noticable difference (which I only saw last week) is that I think the thickness of the headstock is a bit less on the MIM... however, that's by eye. I haven't measured it.

My HSS has some form of dense "foam" under the bridge humbucker...

Yeah, I recall you mentioning that. Not sure what is up with the one I have. You can't even
rock the pickups back and forth. They are that tightly screwed directly into the body.

Yeah, I recall you mentioning that. Not sure what is up with the one I have. You can't even
rock the pickups back and forth. They are that tightly screwed directly into the body.
Maybe shoot them an email? Feels like a QC miss...

There isn't any room for any foam, though. Pickups could actually stand to go lower. They are maxed out
as high as anyone would want them.

I wonder if yours was routed out deeper, or if the one I have is shallower for some reason???

There isn't any room for any foam, though. Pickups could actually stand to go lower. They are maxed out
as high as anyone would want them.

I wonder if yours was routed out deeper, or if the one I have is shallower for some reason???
Oh, that's interesting... Maybe the HSH models are different?

My HSS has some form of dense "foam" under the bridge humbucker...

Interesting, is that on your US model or the MIM one? I have the MIM HSS DK24 like yours and without pulling the pups out they do look like they are straight on the body.

Ok, I hate you guys with all the Charvel content. I’ve got GAS bad for a maple-board San Dimas Type 1. What should I look at and stay away from? I would like to buy used and stay around $700.

Like a lot of things music related prices have gone up. Used to see $500-$600 San Dimases and Pro Mods all
day, and now bottom dollar used seems to be around $800. If you are lucky.

My suggestion is to find and buy sooner rather than later. :)

Interesting, is that on your US model or the MIM one? I have the MIM HSS DK24 like yours and without pulling the pups out they do look like they are straight on the body.

Yeah, I looked at mine some more and it is not a QC issue. Clearly direct-to-body mounted pups was a design choice.

Like a lot of things music related prices have gone up. Used to see $500-$600 San Dimases and Pro Mods all
day, and now bottom dollar used seems to be around $800. If you are lucky.

My suggestion is to find and buy sooner rather than later. :)
I almost had one for about $750 shipped last night but missed it.

I have a DK24 FR in a discontinued 'root beer burst' that is my favorite of the 3 Charvels I have. Love that guitar. Hated the Duncan Full Shred that was in it, so I swapped it out for a Suhr Doug Aldrich. More or less a nastier JB and it sounds great.

I also have 2 San Dimas models. Looking to get another DK24. Would love to find one of the discontinued satin black models with the gold hardware.

9e95db48-8bc4-4cc6-aaac-676b55bfd791.jpg

It's the MIM... I swapped a Thornbucker+ into the bridge position a couple weeks ago. I couldn't see the foam with the pickup in place.

Haven't touched the USA. Still trying to decide if I like the Thornbucker better or not.

By itself I like it better than the Full Shred, but both the positions where it's combined with the single coils I kind of prefer the Full Shred...

I have a DK24 FR in a discontinued 'root beer burst' that is my favorite of the 3 Charvels I have. Love that guitar. Hated the Duncan Full Shred that was in it, so I swapped it out for a Suhr Doug Aldrich. More or less a nastier JB and it sounds great.

I also have 2 San Dimas models. Looking to get another DK24. Would love to find one of the discontinued satin black models with the gold hardware.

View attachment 95420
I've never seen that color. Nice!

I'd prefer roasted neck and chrome or black hardware... I'm not a fan of gold hardware.

Back
Top Bottom