Series or parallel for reverb and delay?

For me it's about what else I'm doing with them.
If I'm running a pitch block into my reverb for a shimmer effect, it has to be in parallel (both of them) for it to sound right. Same for running my delay into a chorus or phaser to put something juicy on the repeats.
Otherwise, I'm usually a series guy and just work the mix parameter.

I've been running Reverbs in series; Delays are parallel, so I can keep a dry signal in the Output signal. I was running reverb in parallel, too, for the same reason, but put it in series, to save a little CPU overhead.

I've been thinking maybe it no longer matters if the delays are parallel, with the revised "Delay Mix Law" but haven't experimented with it, yet. Most of the time I run delays a little on the lighter side - around 15 or 20%, so maybe it would be just the same to run them back into series, again, with the updated firmwares. Would love to hear what others that were running delay/reverb in parallel are doing these days.

I was running reverb in parallel, too, for the same reason, but put it in series, to save a little CPU overhead.

Wait - really? There's a difference in CPU usage for a series vs parallel block? I didn't think that was the case.

It totally depends on what I'm doing. If I need something simple like a basic slap-back, then series, but if I need something a bit more complex, like a phased-delay with the phasing only on the delay itself, then parallel.

I'm experimenting now with going from series-reverb and parallel-delays back to both in series. I typically had a parallel delay with one more shunt, before. After adjusting my patches back to both of these in series, I gained about 2-3% CPU back, on average. So far, the delays still sound good, to me, although I haven't got any stage time with them, yet.

The Delays are maybe a bit more "pronounced", for lack of a better definition, so I've dialed the delay Mix % back a bit, typically, on most of my patches, when in series. Overall, though they sound pretty good, still, and still provide a defined note, which was why I had put them in parallel to start with (to combine a dry signal with the delayed signal, originally).

It totally depends on what I'm doing. If I need something simple like a basic slap-back, then series, but if I need something a bit more complex, like a phased-delay with the phasing only on the delay itself, then parallel.

Ye, same here as well. It all depends on the processing I have in mind.

I usually use delay in series but reverb in parallel, sometimes I use them both in series, no real reason why, that's just the way I usually do it when I apply delay and reverb in a DAW :p

I know there shouldn't be a difference, but I am able to maintain consistent volume with parallel in any cases. That's not the case with series for me.

when you guys are putting certain fx on the repeats of your delays (or the decay of the verb), are you bringing the output back in line with the main signal or are you taking it straight to the output?

Back
Top Bottom