sequencer update

simeon

Axe-Master
i posted this a while back, but i'm gonna post it again because i think they're good ideas

run and it's associated on/off switch remain the same, but we add two new control parameters....

"step" (with an associated trigger attachable to a modifier). two modes - "normal" - each step is triggered by the max value of the modifier and "double" - when the modifier crosses value 64, the sequencer moves to the next step. doing it like this means that of you use a momentary switch, you can step through the stages by pressing AND releasing the switch.

"modifier". this would be great for using an external expression pedal to move through the sequencer stages. the sequencer interpolates the range of the external to the number of stages available. so for example, if you set two stages, then the first stage is 0-64 of the pedal travel and the second stage is 65-127 of the pedal travel. set 5 stages and each will be 20% of the pedal travel and so on. this would enable the user (using all 32 steps) to design a totally custom curve for their external pedal. i don't know if it would be at all useful to use internal modifiers for this. maybe externals only would be appropriate.

also add the following...

direction - forward + reverse. when attached to "run" or "step", the sequencer will travel from the first to the last stage and back again
direction - random. when attached to "run" or "step", the sequencer will move randomly through all stages up to the max set by the user
shape - triangle / square / ramp down / ramp up etc. each stage of the sequencer follows the shape set by the user. triangle, for example will move from min to the max value set and back to min for each stage
shape - smooth. useful for when using an expression pedal. the sequencer interpolates the values in between each stage to create a smooth curve

i would also add "once" to run, so that you could use a switch to trigger the sequencer to run once from beginning to end. in conjunction with a bit of damping, you'd have an adsr with totally customisable shape for long sweeps, fade ins and outs etc

Last edited:
I like these ideas a lot Simeon. They're the sort of things you can readily do with a modular synth. Thanks for suggesting them! We can hope...

Back
Top Bottom