Seperate headphone and monitor volume

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
That’s why I use an external sound card and not the one in the axe . It’s just a big mess .

when you need to records vocals , then drums etc and you have the monitors in the axe 🤦.
Well …

That’s why I use an external sound card and not the one in the axe . It’s just a big mess .

when you need to records vocals , then drums etc and you have the monitors in the axe 🤦.
Well …
Hey bud

For how I work, all guitars and bass are from the Axe so it's works better as a soundcard for me. Drums are superior drummer so no live recording at all.

Vocals for me was the easiest part. Straight from the Preamp into the input. I created a template patch with all the routing and, as I don't use any presets, I start to create my amps from scratch. The effects for vocals are great, I have replicated the delay, reverb and most of the Waves Scheps channel strip but can't quite get the Waves ADT yet. I like mix vocals on the box but if I ever gig as a singer/guitarist again, I want to know I have options.

I own an 18i20 which, whilst a decent sound card, for me is not in the same league as the Axe. My biggest grip with the 18i20 was the volume taper as you get no real volume until you hit half way, then it maxes out but at very low volume. I plugged the Axe in and have not had it past 3 as it is too loud .

I still need to do a review of the Axe but so far the amp modelling is superior to anything I have played; it nails the hot rodded Marshall sound. I am an amp guy only, not into drive pedals so the amp modelling is what I judge, so far I have laughed at loud at the sheer quality. As a soundcard the routing takes a bit to get your head around (some inputs are deemed outputs, that baffled me for a bit) but once it sinks in it is logical. I found if you don't think of the Axe as a Preamp and seperate soundcard the logic kind of works with the routing, well at least for me.

I honestly love this device.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but if you just want to listen to music with your computer and also your monitors you need to power up your axe everytime? 😑

Yes but if you just want to listen to music with your computer and also your monitors you need to power up your axe everytime? 😑
That doesn't bother me at all. Like all soundcards it's on all the time unless I sleep.

I own an 18i20 which, whilst a decent sound card, for me is not in the same league as the Axe. My biggest grip with the 18i20 was the volume taper as you get no real volume until you hit half way, then it maxes out but at very low volume. I plugged the Axe in and have not had it past 3 as it is too loud .
You will need to look at your input and output levels in this case. That will have an effect on how the knobs behave. For example I get a taper I like on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen with my Genelecs set to -10 dB instead of 0 dB where I can turn them up loud but not dangerously loud. At least for me volume taper is very gradual all the way.

The headphone output on my Scarlett at least is a bit weak for high impedance headphones but works well enough for a cheap unit like this. Thinking of picking up an Arturia Audiofuse Studio to replace it.

That doesn't bother me at all. Like all soundcards it's on all the time unless I sleep.
I use a mixer with monitors with everything plugged on it . With this I don’t need to use the external soundcard (phone out of the computer) I power up the soundcard only when I record . And the axe is in the mixer to play and in the sound card to rec . No way to power up an axe 3 just to play the sound of my computer

You will need to look at your input and output levels in this case. That will have an effect on how the knobs behave. For example I get a taper I like on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen with my Genelecs set to -10 dB instead of 0 dB where I can turn them up loud but not dangerously loud. At least for me volume taper is very gradual all the way.

The headphone output on my Scarlett at least is a bit weak for high impedance headphones but works well enough for a cheap unit like this. Thinking of picking up an Arturia Audiofuse Studio to replace it.i
I did sort my levels out, altered my monitors etc but no luck. It's a known issue with the Gen2s, as soon as I plugged my UR284 back in the issue went, same with the Axe, the taper was right straight away.

Is it possible to add a mute button for headphone jack. I am switching between frfr and headphone and push louder signals into monitors.
Headphones might get damaged so have to unplug them from the unit. Would be nice to be able to mute them easily.

Is it possible to add a mute button for headphone jack. I am switching between frfr and headphone and push louder signals into monitors.
Headphones might get damaged so have to unplug them from the unit. Would be nice to be able to mute them easily.
If this is not possible to do with software you could probably just add some passive volume control after the headphone output and turn that down.

Back
Top Bottom