Seperate headphone and monitor volume

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hey all

Hopefully an easy one. I have searched the forum and I can find that people have asked this question but not for this version of the OS. Whilst I am looking online for a solution, I thought I would pose the question here too.

I have my studio monitors plugged into output 1, my IEMs plugged into output 2 and I switch between the two in the I/O settings so either the monitors or the IEMs are active.

I don't seem to able to have a seperate volume control for my monitors and headphones. The only solution, which is to turn the monitors off, isn't practical when you are jumping between monitoring devices (and sitting with a guitar in your lap).

Anyone know of a solution to have output 4 as a headphone volume control, I can't use output 3 as these are used for my effects loop, or is it possible to have the headphone jack mute the output 1 to monitors when connected. I am used to having two headphone jacks with dedicated controls, having 1 headphone out with no control is very limiting.

Cheers.

Mike

why are you not using the volume controls for out 1 and 2 on the front of the unit?
Hi Simeon

I do use the 1 and 2 volume control on the front, I just have to change the settings in I/O so that the computer audio goes out of Output 1 for monitors then if I change the setting (sorry not at the Axe), it puts the computer music out of output 2 for my IEMs muting Output 1.

Is that what you mean?

Mike

I probably should have said I use the Axe FX for my soundcard when recording in Cubase.

Mackie, behringer etc make passive volume knobs you connect between the devices and give you a make way to adjust monitor volume without needing to adjust the output level of the device.

You do have multiple inputs over usb - assuming its usb your using to get audio from PC to AFX.

of those inputs 1&2 hard route to OP 1, inputs 3&4 goes to out 2. maybe the easiest way is to change which channel is feeding the AFX on the PC end.

All

Thank you for your help.

This is my current set up:

1620387631650.png

As the USB Output Mapping only allows for the selection of Output 1 & Output 2 as your volume control, I am unsure how to get all audio from my PC out via the headphone jack but be controlled by Output 4 on he front of the Axe. I would like to have it similar to Output 1 & 2 where all computer audio (not just Cubase) comes out of the headphones with a dedicated control.

I never use the headphone out without using USB as I am always writing music so my computer is always on.

The passive headphone controller is a good idea but apart from my rack being full, I don't have the space for anything else on the desk so I am hoping to keep this within the Axe. If this is the only route so be it, I will have to purchase one that will allow multiple connections but ideally it seems in USB Output Mapping it would be good to have 1/2 to Out4.

To be honest if the speakers would mute when you connect headphones I would be more than happy.

Mike

I'm still super new to the AXE FX (using it as my interface and also with Cubase 11 via USB) and simply have the phones jacked into the front of the unit - my early work around so far as been either tissue stuffed into my phones or ear plugs to dampen the volume. I think I read here that I can just plug the phones into output two in the back (not being used) and adjust the volume from the menu (yet to try this).

I know you want speaker mute when headphone plugged in but what about something like this. Plug your monitor outs into it and push the mute button.
I have a Nano Patch between the Axe-FX output and the monitors input

View attachment 82896

It is a must to have a external volume control at the input of active monitors.
Guys this could be my only option. At least I can then mute the speakers when the headphones are on. Thanks for the product links.

This kind of stuff is why I prefer just using a separate audio interface. Separate volume controls for everything and easier to manage routing to different devices.
Laxu

Well I kept my 18i20 for that reason, just in case I sent the Axe FX back. I wanted to sell the 18i20 to get some cash back but I love the Axe so its going no where, If I have to use my soundcard I will but I like the direct monitoring and the minimal ADDA conversion plus the rack is now full.

If I was to introduce another rack device I would probably have a passive controller like recommended above but with more outputs to all my output needs are controlled by one device..

Mike

I'm still super new to the AXE FX (using it as my interface and also with Cubase 11 via USB) and simply have the phones jacked into the front of the unit - my early work around so far as been either tissue stuffed into my phones or ear plugs to dampen the volume. I think I read here that I can just plug the phones into output two in the back (not being used) and adjust the volume from the menu (yet to try this).
I have not tried the headphones in Output 2 as my IEM is plugged into that.

The struggle never ends LOL

Cheers Mojo, I read back and it was your suggestion, must have been at the back of my mind.

Back
Top Bottom