Sennheiser HR280 Pro/ QSC K12

fender50

Hey guys, (my gear: Axe fx2/ MFC101 played alternately through QSC K12's and Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones) So lately I have been playing through my Sennheiser HD280 pro's. The presets I use sound very good. When I play the same preset through my QSC K12's it just does not sound as good. I realise that obviously we are not speaking of the same speaker configuration. So that probably affects the sounds. My question is. Does anyone have any tips on possibly using frequency filters or some other method to make the presets sound similar that of my headphones when played through the QSC K12's?
Thanks,

Hey guys, (my gear: Axe fx2/ MFC101 played alternately through QSC K12's and Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones) So lately I have been playing through my Sennheiser HD280 pro's. The presets I use sound very good. When I play the same preset through my QSC K12's it just does not sound as good. I realise that obviously we are not speaking of the same speaker configuration. So that probably affects the sounds. My question is. Does anyone have any tips on possibly using frequency filters or some other method to make the presets sound similar that of my headphones when played through the QSC K12's?
Thanks,
I've had QSC K12 for two years and tweaked to hell..still too bassy..mine is perched on top of my Marshall 1936 cab. Don't know if it would sound different on the carpet. Same as you. Sound great and crisp through headphones...

Hey Chris thanks for taking an interest in my post. The sound from the headphones is smooth yet clear (not muddy)no matter if the preset is clean, medium or high gain. When played through the K12's it sounds harsh in the mid to higher frequency rang. I did try EQing to try and bring the sound to what I am hearing in the headphones, but i can not seem to get there. I would also like to mention that the headphones have 32 dB attenuation of outside sound. Would that maybe make a defference?

I've had QSC K12 for two years and tweaked to hell..still too bassy..mine is perched on top of my Marshall 1936 cab. Don't know if it would sound different on the carpet. Same as you. Sound great and crisp through headphones...
In general I am satisfied with my K12's. I do have several patches that sound great. It's just that lately I have been forced into a situation that obliges me to use my head phones(son working graveyard shift, so he sleeps in the day) to build very nice sounding presets. It's just disapointing when I do have the oportunity to play the same presets through the K12's, the sound does not reflect what I am hearing from the headphones.

I've noticed that my patches always sound bass heavy. Especially other people's patches. It just started to dawn on me that it might be my k12's that are bass heavy. I wish I have another speaker to try. Has anyone else who has used multiple speakers found the k12 to be bass heavy?

Are you using the K12 with deep on? Ext Sub switch off?
I have been using k12s since my Axe Fx standard. Our FOH system is 2 x k12s, so the sound is identical to my monitor. I build my presets with the lows cut in the speaker block at 95-100hz. I do notice that my presets sound different through headphones but my headphones are Audio Technica M-30s

I had K12's for over five years. Just switched to K10.2's. I never had the deep swich on or ext. sub switch on. Just normal position. EQ'ing the speaker is the key. There is tons of EQ'ing options in the Axe FX. Just rolling off the bass worked for me. I believe I set the roll-off about 150 Hz. It's a curve so some bass below that still comes through.
Getting the speaker off the ground helps, also.
I set the K10.2's the same way. If anything, the K10.2 goes lower the the original K12.

I have the 280's and they sound great but have a lot more low end than what translates to speakers/cabs.

I'm at work and just looked over at one of my two pairs of HD280 Pros. Good stuff.

@fender50, if trying to EQ, you might try doing a frequency analysis by-ear. What I mean is alternate between the 280s and the K12 playing single notes. Maybe start with open strings and eq until they sound similar. Then maybe 12th fret of each and then highest fret of each. You should only need to EQ between about 80 - 1100Hz. That means you'll want as fine a resolution EQ as you can get...likely parametric is your best bet. This is totally a brainstorm so may not work at all, but....maybe. :)

I'm at work and just looked over at one of my two pairs of HD280 Pros. Good stuff.

@fender50, if trying to EQ, you might try doing a frequency analysis by-ear. What I mean is alternate between the 280s and the K12 playing single notes. Maybe start with open strings and eq until they sound similar. Then maybe 12th fret of each and then highest fret of each. You should only need to EQ between about 80 - 1100Hz. That means you'll want as fine a resolution EQ as you can get...likely parametric is your best bet. This is totally a brainstorm so may not work at all, but....maybe. :)
Hey deadpool, will try what you suggested. Thanks. I think maybe the actual placement of the K12's, (example:
on floor 3' in front of me or on poles eye level 15' away) may be an important variable. I have gotten into the habit of building my presets with the K12's at a distance (15 to 20 feet away) on poles to emmulate the approximate placement of the PA speakers in the venues i have played. This gives me an idea of what the audience may be hearing. It seems like the actual distance or physical air between the speakers and the ears of the person listening may be the factor that makes it hard to replicate the sound of my Pro280's which obviously have virtually no space between ear and speaker. I'll get back to you on the results of your suggestion.

So I ran into this lately...
A buddy moved to a new house and swapped his QSC K12s for K8.2s head-high on stands. I thought, "oh man, he got wimpy PA!"... but the newer 8" speaker to me sounds far better in a medium sized room (about 12'x28'). I've always thought 12" PA speakers were too much for home/bedroom and again I stumbled into a situation where smaller PA speakers sounded better. For reference, I was about 6-9 feet away from the speakers... and 12-14 feet away from loud drums. PA handled my AxeFX and vocals. It was plenty loud with headroom to spare. I didn't hear nearly as much of a "whoa that's different" tonal variance when going from headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro) to this setup. YMMV of course :)

Back
Top Bottom