Sending tempo via IA scene switch

adew

Inspired
I'm sure that this is possible - I just haven't been able to figure it out (or I've missed the bleedin' obvious and there's an easier/alternative way of doing this).

My preset contains a DLY block and I've saved the base tempo for the song within the preset, say 120bpm. What I would like to do is to change the tempo to 60bpm when switching to, say, scene 2, and then back again to 120bpm when selecting any of the other scenes. For info, my MFC is currently set up with Scenes 1 to 5 on IA01 to IA5, accessed via Reveal.

Do I need to re-configure IA01 to 05 as General Use switches? If so, which CC# is assigned to tempo and how (if at all) does the CC value map to the tempo? (Actually, the more I think about it, the more I suspect this isn't do-able.)

Any pointers will be much appreciated! Thanks.

Try using the X/Y option in the delay block.

Go to Scene 2 and in the delay block just copy X to Y and set delay Y tempo as you desire and store.

So if you set Scene 1 X delay to 120bpm and then go to Scene 2, the delay will be set to 60bpm.

You could for that matter, set a totally different Delay type in Y as well.....along with the delay tempo change.

Or use 2 delay blocks (uses more cpu though) and set the settings and just turn off/on which ever you desire in the scenes and store.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem with X/Y is that I may wish to use a single "general purpose" preset for several songs, each with a different tempo. If I go the X/Y route, I'll need to create a preset for each song (or at least one for each song which uses more than one tempo).

Correct, I don't want to use tap tempo. I think my only option is to create multiple presets.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem with X/Y is that I may wish to use a single "general purpose" preset for several songs, each with a different tempo. If I go the X/Y route, I'll need to create a preset for each song (or at least one for each song which uses more than one tempo).

For only a few songs......maybe this is the best option.

Do you tap tempo during the song?

Would tapping in the tempo....as needed....during the course of the song be too cumbersome?

You would have to x/y your delay or change scenes then tap the new tempo and again as you go back.

I think you're right, there are only these two options. Regarding tapping the tempo, I never do because all the song tempos are fixed.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions - it's always good to get someone else's input on this sort of thing!

Yes, if you have settled on a signal chain, and amp and effects chain that you like to use over multiple songs, and you don't want to have to tap a tempo footswitch, by all means, copy that preset to multiple preset numbers, and simply edit the tempo and save it. If you are using a midi foot controller, you could also save the preset to a song specific title.

The scenes feature is meant to allow you many instantaneous effects change options without the processor load time, to virtually eliminate audio dropouts, that you do have if you change to a different preset.

But, if you stop playing in between songs, then an audio dropout will not be an issue for you - so just use a new preset for each song.

Use Scenes, while you are in a song, to make it easy to configure different sounds for the verse, chorus, bridge, solo, and then you also have volume control over each passage of the song as your amps/effects change, to achieve the desired musical dynamics that that song needs.

Yes, if you have settled on a signal chain, and amp and effects chain that you like to use over multiple songs, and you don't want to have to tap a tempo footswitch, by all means, copy that preset to multiple preset numbers, and simply edit the tempo and save it. If you are using a midi foot controller, you could also save the preset to a song specific title.
Exactly - that's what I'll do.

Use Scenes, while you are in a song, to make it easy to configure different sounds for the verse, chorus, bridge, solo, and then you also have volume control over each passage of the song as your amps/effects change, to achieve the desired musical dynamics that that song needs.
Yes, indeed, I use scenes already. In this case, however, I want to change the tempo from one scene to the other.

Actually, thinking about it, can I access the Global Tempo via MIDI (and set a value), and then set the preset to use Global Tempo? EDIT: No, having re-read that part of the manual, I don't think I can. Seems like the only option to do this dynamically would be to use MIDI Beat Clock - assuming (a) I can find a suitable generator and (b) I can dynamically alter it via a CC message from the MFC. Sounds like a recipe for confusion (mine) and latency between scene changes.

Unfortunately, thanks to my non-Axe rig, I'm used to using delay presets on my Eventide Timefactor and then switching between them using MIDI... :-/

Update:

The absence of any way to control the preset's tempo value via a CC message is really bugging me. Searching around, I found an old thread about sending custom sysex to do this, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with this sort of thing.

So, to work around this, I'm now wondering if I could use two Multi Delay blocks in Quad Tap mode, and then configure different Tempo values for the taps in one of the MTD blocks to give me a "half-tempo" effect? Just a reminder about what I'm trying to do:

1. Have a Dual Delay using 1/8 dotted and 1/4 repeats at 120bpm
2. On a Scene change, change the tempo to 60bpm

Thinking about it, as I know the target tempo in advance (in other words, it's predetermined for the song, not tapped manually) it may be better to use msecs rather than bpm, ie have one block using 375ms and 500ms, and the other using 750ms and 1000ms. Thinking about it even further, perhaps I can do this with two Dual Delay blocks rather than the Multi Delay, which may be better for CPU usage (possibly?).

Any comments/suggestions gratefully received!

Memo to self: stop thinking about this type of thing when miles away from the Axe FX and therefore unable to test theories... Grrrr.

You could use X/Y or 2 dual delay blocks to go between (dot-1/8 + 1/4) and (dot-1/4 + 1/2). Setting times directly in ms would work too, but tempo-based would let you easily add this block to another preset for a different song/tempo.

If you wanted to change the actual preset tempo, it's possible via custom data on a general use IA. If you don't need to seamlessly switch among 3 or more different tempos in one preset, this probably isn't the best idea.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...imple-way-set-tempo-each-song.html#post879646

Back
Top Bottom