Sending Multiple Simultaneous PC/CC messages to external pedal not working

I'm guessing it "could" process it if there was some sort of built in delay of sorts so it had time to process it. I know nothing here....only trying to think logically. Other forums say they just don't think the midi spec was ever designed like that. My thought with posting was that maybe others would chime in and say "Yea I do this all the time with the X and/or Y pedal". Most people have just said create a bunch of presets that vary in parameters and go from there with PC messages
I think the issue here isn't the MIDI spec. It's the ability of receiving devices to handle rapid streams of MIDI messages, and what they choose to do when they can't keep up.

I have an old ART X-15 Ultrafoot MIDI controller. It has built-in expression pedals. It was made to work with the ART SGX-2000 guitar processor. That processor simply couldn't keep up with a constant stream of MIDI data from an expression pedal, so the X-15 controller had a built-in delay between MIDI messages. My more modern gear can keep up, and if I left the X-15 at its default delay time, the wah would have a noticeable stepped "zipper" sound to it. When I took out the delay, wahs were smooth and sounded like they should.

Bottom line: if MIDI messages are being dropped, it's the receiving gear that's dropping them.

I think the issue here isn't the MIDI spec. It's the ability of receiving devices to handle rapid streams of MIDI messages, and what they choose to do when they can't keep up.

I have an old ART X-15 Ultrafoot MIDI controller. It has built-in expression pedals. It was made to work with the ART SGX-2000 guitar processor. That processor simply couldn't keep up with a constant stream of MIDI data from an expression pedal, so the X-15 controller had a built-in delay between MIDI messages. My more modern gear can keep up, and if I left the X-15 at its default delay time, the wah would have a noticeable stepped "zipper" sound to it. When I took out the delay, wahs were smooth and sounded like they should.

Bottom line: if MIDI messages are being dropped, it's the receiving gear that's dropping them.
Yea, support got back to me on this one and yea it's a no go. I just have to decide if this is a deal breaker or if something like the Bigsky (which was the one it was up against) can handle this and if I want to fork over the extra money to make it work. Source Audio recommended their neuro hub which can handle this if I wanted to send CC simultaneously. Seems clunky for what I wanted to do, especially if other pedal can handle it.

So I have posted in a facebook group on the issue. Haven't really heard back if users of other reverb pedals are able to do this, but definitely at least seems to be a limitation from the Ventris. I know there is a lot happening from a processor/algo standpoint (from reading in other forums) of trying to unload certain presets to make things seamless so maybe with reverbs things are different. One other person said they send multiple simultaneous CC to their golden boy which is a drive pedal but that is a much more simple circuit and different from something running reverb algorithms.

Back
Top Bottom