Send MIDI to Allen & Heath mixer

MBure

Hi,

I need some help to understand how I can set up and program my MFC-101 & Axe fx II XL+ to changes Scenes over MIDI in my Allen & Heath QU24 mixer.

I use Presets in my MFC for each Song.
When I Change Preset in my MFC I will send an MIDI message to my Mixer to change Scenes in my mixer (presets in my mixer)

My mixer communicates MIDI via USB or TCP/IP. (see below)
How should the signal chain be?
I use Faslink to my Axe.

MFC to Axe over Faslink - Axe to computer over USB - Computer to my mixer over USB or TCP/IP ??
How should the setting be so the MIDI signal goes from MFC to the mixer?

I also use MFC Edit so I think that’s the place to configure this easiest?
How would I configure this in MFC Edit & Axe?

Below I have cut and paste from the MIDI manual in Allen & Heath Mixer QU24.

Thanks for help!

MIDI Manual - Allen & Heath Mixer QU24.

Qu transmits MIDI messages when its controls are operated. It also responds to parameter changes it receives via MIDI, for example from a computer or an external MIDI controller.

MIDI communicates via:
USB – Rear panel USB B port for direct connection to Apple Mac computers running OSX 10.6 or later.
This is the recommended connection for DAW control.
Note USB MIDI is supported natively by Apple Mac computers so no driver is needed.

TCP – Rear panel network port for use with a computer, a touch panel or other remote controller with
configurable MIDI over a TCP/IP port.
Note TCP MIDI requires a driver for the data to be seen as a MIDI port. An Allen & Heath TCP MIDI driver for Apple Mac computers can be downloaded from the iLive Software web page. A driver is not available for Windows computers.

Reference
Refer to the table at the end of this document for value listings.
All MIDI message numbers shown in blue in this document are Hexadecimal

Key
Blue Hexadecimal number, eg, F0
Green Variable referred to in table or note, eg, VA = parameter value
Red NRPN ID number for parameter type, eg. Polarity = 6A
Orange NRPN Index to specify a second value, eg, VX

MIDI channel number N (see table)
MIDI channel 1 to 16 =0 to F
Qu functions use MIDI channel = N
MIDI strips (DAW controls) use MIDI channel = N+1

Scene Recall
Qu uses Bank Select and Program Change messages for Scene recall. Only Bank 1 is used.

Transmitted Scene message
Qu transmits this message when a Scene is recalled using the touch screen or a SoftKey:
(Bank1 MSB) (Bank1 LSB) Recall Scene
BN, 00, 00, BN, 20, 00, CN, SS

Where SS = Scene1 to 100 = 00 to 63 (see table)

Received Scene message
Qu responds to the following message if Bank1 is currently selected:
Recall Scene
CN, SS
Where SS = Scene1 to 100 = 00 to 63 (see table)

To set Bank1
Qu will ignore Scene change messages if the Bank is not set to 1.
(Bank1 MSB) (Bank1 LSB)
BN, 00, 00, BN, 20, 00

You'll need a way to route MIDI from Axe to mixer. This could be DAW software or something like (for Windows) Midi-OX or Bome's SendSX.

The mixer & Axe-FX should be set to different MIDI channels. In each MFC preset, edit the program change # for the mixer channel as needed. (See MFC manual section 12.1.2)

You'll probably want to also set display offset = 1 for the mixer channel. (manual 12.5.4)

Thanks for your answer. I have done this but it seems that the Axe doesn't send the right message?
I started a new thread about that, hope it is ok?

Back
Top Bottom