Semi-Open Back 1x12 Cabinet w/Seventy/80

Chris Hurley

Power User
I uploaded a few captures of my regular gigging cabinet- a deep, semi-open 1x12 with a well worn Celestion Seventy/80.

Here's the mix I often use: Axe-Change - Download 1x12 - Doberman1x12Mix - by notyet (there are a few others with it)

Some years ago, I did a mini-shootout of a half dozen Celestion speakers and at the time, I thought the Seventy/80 acquitted itself amazingly well for costing about a quarter of what the other speakers cost. I've never understood why this speaker is used in modelling combos because it is anything but neutral sounding. This particular speaker has been well-loved in one of my cabinets, having gone to a lot of shows and a ton of rehearsals. I wish I could buy another set for just over 100US...

The impulses were taken with the ECM8000 into the VTB1 from a foot or so back. I had a looped riff playing and I moved my ear around looking for a spot that I thought sounded good and represented the speaker well. In use, none of the captures really seem to deliver the impression of playing my normal cab but I've found them tolerable from time to time.

To my ear, this sounds a bit more raw than a lot of the impulses I encounter- more like the actual speaker and less like a recording of a speaker played back in a cardboard box in a distant room on the other side of town. That probably makes it less suitable for recording, and/or that's all probably in my head.

I doubt that it will appeal to anyone else but I'll post it just in case someone might be able to use it. At least I won't be able to lose it as easily now. :)

edit: I realized that the looper still had some music in it from where I was screwing around, so I dumped it off to soundcloud as an example.

Attachments

• Doberman1x12Mix.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom