Selling the amps?

Rocksalot

so last year sometime, I took the time to build a big "amp tower" for my 4 hundred watt heads. I racked up all my usual pedals and wired up a quick and easy patch bay, along with some torpedo cab simulation, and my fract2 (for stereo effects) to put together the mother-of-all recording situations for my little project studio. it was just epic.

then I got the frac3, and a CLR

and I haven't turned that old rig on once in the last 6 weeks.

I don't miss it at all. i'm just constantly blown away by what the frac3 can do, and how much more I like the sims and overall implementation. I look over at that 20k investment in gear and just wonder if I will ever turn it on again.

knowing me, as soon as I sell all that stuff, i'll miss it and start collecting again. anyone else in the same boat? anyone using a combination of amps/effects/cabs/mics/preamps/post along with their fracs?

Ha! 4 must be the magic number — I have a tower of 4 hundred watt heads as well. I use a Two Notes Studio to bring a real amp into the AF3. Often I’ll mix the real amp / Two Notes Studio with an amp and cab in the AF3... sounds wonderful to me, but to each his own.

I did get rid of all of my effects though — except for 1 Eventide box that I’ll keep until I upgrade it.

I kept a tube amp and a few pedals for roughly a year after going FAS. The inch of dust on them made me realize that it's dead money.

For me, there's nothing like the simplicity of plugging in a Tele in open-G tuning straight into a Tweed Deluxe and cranking out Stones tunes. That's a experience/amp-in-the-room sound/feel that I have not been able to duplicate to my satisfaction with digital modeling. The AxeIII closes the gap, but the mic'd up cabinet sound of an IR through an FRFR monitor is still not an adequate replacement for a cranked up open backed combo, IMO, YMMV, etc...

I have 4 tube amps as well that I've no inclination to use since I got my Axe III... I'm in the same boat, so I can't offer any advice. But you're not alone :)

Of course, to compound things, I'm even thinking of selling my Helix...

For me, there's nothing like the simplicity of plugging in a Tele in open-G tuning straight into a Tweed Deluxe and cranking out Stones tunes. That's a experience/amp-in-the-room sound/feel that I have not been able to duplicate to my satisfaction with digital modeling. The AxeIII closes the gap, but the mic'd up cabinet sound of an IR through an FRFR monitor is still not an adequate replacement for a cranked up open backed combo, IMO, YMMV, etc...
You can always plug in the Axe-Fx III to an open-back guitar cab, it'll get you there ;)

I kept a tube amp and a few pedals for roughly a year after going FAS. The inch of dust on them made me realize that it's dead money.

I have 4 tube amps as well that I've no inclination to use since I got my Axe III... I'm in the same boat, so I can't offer any advice. But you're not alone :)

Of course, to compound things, I'm even thinking of selling my Helix...
That Helix would have BEEN gone at my house a long time ago... :cool:

I suppose what makes keeping the tube amps practical for me is the fact that my Two Notes Studio is always going into Input 2 (in stereo) and I keep a speaker cable plugged into the Two Notes. So getting the sound of one of my tube amps into the Axe3 is very simple. It requires nothing more than setting the tube on the table and plugging in the speaker cable.
If I had to set all of that up each time... no way. But since the Axe3 has so many ins/outs, it’s a simple matter to just keep everything plugged up. And I take the same approach for my Eventide box... it is always plugged in to the Axe3 using ins/outs #3.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, doesn’t hurt to have a tube amp around still. It’s kind of like having a classic muscle car. Probably arent going to drive it often, it’s not practical, costs too much, used to little etc...but, if you’ve got the money and the garage space, who wouldn’t enjoy having soemthing in the garage to take out every once in a while just for the fun of driving.

I used to have an old Nova, 350 v8 small block. Honestly I don’t think it was faster than my Maxima, Bad handling, awful braking, awful mileage, no AC etc. in every measure it’s a worse car, but it was loud and fun to drive.

I can’t justify a bunch of amps these days, but I wouldn’t mind throwing some ear plugs in and cranking a real plexi for a few minutes every now and then, just for the visceral enjoyment of it, even though I know my III gets the same tone and then some.

I think some things can’t be judged on practicality, cost etc.

You can always plug in the Axe-Fx III to an open-back guitar cab, it'll get you there ;)

I know. But that seems like I’m limiting the AxeFX. When I’m using the Axe, I want to take full advantage of the technology. Using the Axe with IRs into a FRFR monitor allows me to get the most out of the tech. It’s a different experience, and depending on the scenario can be the better option. Choose the right tool for the job. There are times when a great amp is still the right tool.

My Triple Recto, Splawn Quickrod and Marshall JCM800 2205 haven’t been powered up in years.

They’ve been relegated to expensive decorations.

If you can afford it, doesn’t hurt to have a tube amp around still. It’s kind of like having a classic muscle car. Probably arent going to drive it often, it’s not practical, costs too much, used to little etc...but, if you’ve got the money and the garage space, who wouldn’t enjoy having soemthing in the garage to take out every once in a while just for the fun of driving.

I used to have an old Nova, 350 v8 small block. Honestly I don’t think it was faster than my Maxima, Bad handling, awful braking, awful mileage, no AC etc. in every measure it’s a worse car, but it was loud and fun to drive.

I can’t justify a bunch of amps these days, but I wouldn’t mind throwing some ear plugs in and cranking a real plexi for a few minutes every now and then, just for the visceral enjoyment of it, even though I know my III gets the same tone and then some.

I think some things can’t be judged on practicality, cost etc.
It's amazing how awful those old muscle cars really are in many ways. I have a Chevelle SS 454. It's a hoot but my six cylinder SUV blows its doors off and is much more comfortable and practical.

I have 200 grand worth of amps in a room down the hall. Haven't used any of them in months. Of course I'm not allowed to lift anything over 20 lbs. so there's that...

But you’ve modelled them and have made a world class product as a result. And we all get to enjoy them.

If you can afford to keep, i'd keep them. We all see how older rack products fare, especially after a few generations. Amps will retain their value.

4years. It's been 4 years since I powered up my Dual Recto and played it live. It was in front of 15,000 people at a huge show put on by a local radio host. It seems like a good note to end on. That show was the passing of the torch, as I let my other guitarist use my Recto, and it was the first show I played with my IIXL. I've never looked back.

I have, erm, 5 grand of guitar amp which definitely hasn't been plugged in for a loong time now. So glad Cliff was able to foot the 200 grand bill to give me some better options. I am actually worried I won't every use my amp again.

Back
Top Bottom